Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,747

4 members and 2,743 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Concerned about corkscrewing in a spider

What you described in your last comment about being upside down on the substrate doesnt sound like Spider Wobble. Like i said ive never had one, but after the hundreds of videos ive seen on the subject and the reading, I've never heard of what your describing characterized as the Spider Wobble . Do you have a way to post a YouTube Vid? Im interested in seeing. Ive seen snakes do what your describing, but it was not the wobble.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    That's the issue, it doesn't appear to be a normal wobble, maybe an extremely severe case but I'm confused as to why for the past 4 days I have seen him corkscrew twice and now he can't stop. Nothing has changed and I would think the most stressful part would have been moving here and being in the new enclosure, so again, why is it only starting now?
    I don't have a lot of experience with it either so I'm looking for advice from more experienced keepers.

I can try to find a way to get a video if you guys think it could help but right now Im trying to leave the lights off and that room undisturbed to reduce stress

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Helium For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Helium View Post
    That's the issue, it doesn't appear to be a normal wobble, maybe an extremely severe case but I'm confused as to why for the past 4 days I have seen him corkscrew twice and now he can't stop. Nothing has changed and I would think the most stressful part would have been moving here and being in the new enclosure, so again, why is it only starting now?
    I don't have a lot of experience with it either so I'm looking for advice from more experienced keepers.

I can try to find a way to get a video if you guys think it could help but right now Im trying to leave the lights off and that room undisturbed to reduce stress
    Well a Video might help. I dont want to plant seeds in your head but ive seen a snake that had been overheated by someone that didnt regulate temps and its brain basically became "Fried".. It just flipped all over. Neurological problem after...
    Deb might see this post and tell me to stop speculating but Im just interested in what it could be.. Even the word Cork Screwing is not really what your describing... If it lays and moves with its head upside down somethings up.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    It was literally the top 1/3 of his body twisted like a corkscrew and then pushing his head along the ground. That lasted around one minute and then he want back to wild corkscrewing, hitting everything, even had himself upside down head completely underwater for about 20 seconds.
    I am positive my temps have not gonna over 91, however when I was given these snakes I was handed all of them loose inside a cardboard box together in less than optimal condition. He's worked his stuck shed off and actually seems to be the most well fed of the group but I have no idea how they were caged and I'm actually concerned one of them could be gravid? Thats a wild assumption, she just seems rather plump and bumpy, I have zero experience with gravid snakes though so I do not know. I just know its possible they were housed together

I will leave him alone for tonight and see about getting a video tomorrow
    Last edited by Helium; 02-07-2018 at 01:08 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Helium For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-07-2018)

Registered User CoinOperatedGirl's Avatar
    Thanks

If I can get my spider to touch her chin to something stable her wobbles all but stop. It sounds like the snake is likely very stressed. Could you take a video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hate to bring it up, but if it's as serious as your saying it is, needs to see a vet and be tested for IBD. After reading it mire and how you described it, that popped in my head. Better to know if it is than not know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    That sounds far more severe then "just" a Spider Wobble.

If this snake always had such a severe issue, it wouldn't have made it to that size. While a wobble "can" get worse or better over time, it usually doesn't change that dramatically.

A wobble is a neurological issue. The spider wobble on its own is usually not a bad one, either. It doesn't have to be "hell". I know of a dog with a neurological issue that causes it to constantly wobble its back end back and forth and it falls and "dances" all over the place, can't really walk straight. Yet, that is ONE happy, healthy, hyper little dog. It would be a travesty to put it down. A dog will clearly show you if in pain, with their eyes, body language even vocally.

A snake can't do that. But a snake that is "in hell" will not eat nor thrive. Most spiders live perfectly healthy lives and the ones I've come across were some of the best eaters and also some of the sweetest in personality. The one I had was simply a sweetheart and never a problem. I was lucky that she also had no cork screwing and only a occasional miss on striking the rodent. But even the more severe ones I've seen were NOTHING like what you describe.

Many diseases can cause these symptoms. Even certain fumes in the air (some almost undetectable to us) can cause these issues. Having bug treatments around the house (no smell to us) can cause these issues. Off gassing of certain paints, stains, glues and whatnot can cause these issues. IBD, other diseases can cause them.

This snake could have a viral or bacterial infection. It could have over heated at some point, which can also cause these symptoms.

If there are spiders that have SEVERE issues that keep them from living a normal life and thriving, they will most likely never even make it past the hatchling age. Again, never seen one where I would consider its quality of life nor recommend euthanasia. Btw there are many other morphs that come with genetic hickups. Some may even have issues that can't be seen on the outside. The very fact of them BEING morphs is already a genetic anomaly.

I would make sure you quarantine that animal strictly and a vet visit would be advisable. If its like you describe, that is not just a spider wobble. IMHO.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-07-2018),Helium (02-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    That sounds far more severe then "just" a Spider Wobble.
    I would make sure you quarantine that animal strictly and a vet visit would be advisable. If its like you describe, that is not just a spider wobble. IMHO.
    I didnt want to say all that, I might get yelled at LOL.
    That is everything I thought though, maybe a over heating, poisoning or something. Sounds just terrible.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    I just checked on him, currently he's sitting curled up in a ball on his hotspot normally.

I may have come across as rather standoffish in my opinion of spiders and I do have limited experience with them but both I have owned, have had severe enough issues that made it uncomfortable to be around them. And the chance alone of getting another with this kind of issue cements the fact I will never own or be for the breeding of them. However, thats not to say I'm on a witch hunt for those who do keep and breed them, I simply will advise against if asked and not keep them myself. Although if I find another who desperately needs proper care, I likely won't be able to just leave him there.

I would like to also clarify I was not saying "it has a wobble, put it down!!" I understand the difference between a wobble/corkscrewing and something much more severe. I watched it for nearly two hours wildly out of control, twisting and curling and hitting everything and I will not sit by and keep a snake for its pretty pattern when it clearly cannot function. I would think people on here would be for the humane treatment of animals and had you seen what he was doing, you couldn't honestly tell me he is living any where near even an "ok" quality of life. And again, I wouldn't even think of putting him down until I have exhausted all other options. I know he needs time to settle and de stress but if the behaviour I saw last night is something that continually is happening and does not get better with time I will be the first to say I think its inhumane to keep him alive and I will stand by that point. I know what I saw and it would be wrong to keep an animal suffering like that.

Back to the topic at hand, currently he is quarantined in the upstairs of my house with the other snakes he came with while my snakes are downstairs.
    They are all in plastic totes with covered sides with two simple plastic hides, a water dish, and Uline cardboard paper for substrate so I can monitor poops, mites and anything else. The hotspot is between 88 - 91 and cool side around 78. Humidity is not helped by the cardboard bottom so i will mist occasionally and humidity goes up and down. I can switch him to coco / sphagnum, which is what I keep all my snakes on, but I tend to use the Uline paper for quarantine.

From what I know of IBD the only tests which can be done while the snake is alive are not accurate so I'm not sure about going that route. I'm also very hesitant to even think that right now, partially because I don't want to stress about my other snakes but more so, I just don't think it is IBD. I will maintain proper quarantine procedures though.

I will try to take a video when I get home from the gym, its currently 4:30 and he is laying quietly and peacefully so I'm not going to disturb him.
    I am hoping that this is his wobble being drastically exaggerated due to stress however I am definitely concerned it could be worse than that based on what I've seen.
    I will say this, I did not exaggerate how how he was moving, the first 8 inches of him were twisted like a curly fry, his belly almost upwards and his head flat on the ground, upside down, pushing along his cage. I have never seen anything like this in him or any other snake and thankfully it only lasted 2 hours but even if it is 'just' a severe wobble, it was almost unbearable for me to sit and watch. I can't imagine how it must be for him to be completely unable to control his body.

And no it does not get better with a hand under his head, he does sort of a sideways roll and then loops backwards into a corkscrew again. During the time I was watching and posting he couldn't even lay still on the ground, constant motion and constant corkscrewing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helium For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-07-2018),GoingPostal (02-07-2018)

Thanks

I understand what you meant the whole time. I dont think you were Stand-Offish...... I dont agree with breeding spiders myself. There are some that show no signs at all, however I feel we (Humans) are breeding things for one purpose only, looks and thats disgusting to me. I have had a lot of problem animals (and that breaks my heart) because of bad Genetics but are bred over and over for visual traits..
    My Last Pit has terrible problems with Hips and Knees. I found out his whole line does after and they kept breeding him because of the massive head size. Now I have a sweetheart 6 years old thats solid as a Ox with terrible bones and joints my poor boy.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Helium (02-07-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast