Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 464

1 members and 463 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Can you have a tame adult beauty snake?

Can you have a tame adult taiwanese beauty snake? If you hold it from a young age.

Thanks

Re: Can you have a tame adult beauty snake?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Lawrence View Post
    Can you have a tame adult taiwanese beauty snake? If you hold it from a young age.
    I don't see that it's impossible. Lots of patience and gentle handling while they're growing. Of course some temperaments will stick harder than others. It's all defensive behavior.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python "Juju"
    1.0 Anerythystic Colombian Boa "Ludo"
    1.0 Amerlanistic Kinked Corn Snake "Oscar Pistorious"
    Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mamaodie For This Useful Post:

Tyler Lawrence (02-06-2018)

Thanks

I suppose it really depends on the individual snake. The male I kept for 19 years became calm enough after some months to do the necessary maintenance in the enclosure without getting bitten (too often), you could even tap him if he was in the way and would move away. Getting him out of the enclosure sometimes provoked some defensive display and the occasional bite, but as most snakes if you had him out he would calm down.

However, I was never really sure about his reactions, he would try to bite in situations he usually would just sit and watch me, so he was more unpredictable as a lot of other snakes I keep.
    1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Absolutely! If you start with a baby and handle it enough, it can be just as tame as anything else. I’m sure it would take a lot of work almost daily to get an adult tamed down if it’s not used to being handled, but I’m sure that can be done as well.

These photos are from when I first got Nova for my birthday in May of 2017. She hatched April 28th 2017. You can see she’s been handled regularly since she was 2 weeks old. She is brought to our local expo as well. This helps her get used to other people. Beauty snakes are smart. In my opinion they show the type of intelligence and hyper vigilance that retics show. Yes they are fast and very sensitive to fast movements, but with patience and consistency, they absolutely can be tame and comfortable with you!

At no point was her head being restrained. She calms down a few minutes after being taken out, and will just sit with you and let pet her head.

https://youtu.be/btwoNeZF_1k

Sent from a distant planet in a faraway galaxy

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Alicia (03-08-2018),BR8080 (02-09-2018),C.Marie (02-08-2018),Prognathodon (02-09-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (02-08-2018),Tyler Lawrence (02-09-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Absolutely! If you start with a baby and handle it enough, it can be just as tame as anything else. I’m sure it would take a lot of work almost daily to get an adult tamed down if it’s not used to being handled, but I’m sure that can be done as well.

These photos are from when I first got Nova for my birthday in May of 2017. She hatched April 28th 2017. You can see she’s been handled regularly since she was 2 weeks old. She is brought to our local expo as well. This helps her get used to other people. Beauty snakes are smart. In my opinion they show the type of intelligence and hyper vigilance that retics show. Yes they are fast and very sensitive to fast movements, but with patience and consistency, they absolutely can be tame and comfortable with you!

At no point was her head being restrained. She calms down a few minutes after being taken out, and will just sit with you and let pet her head.

https://youtu.be/btwoNeZF_1k

well - He IS the reptile whisperer LOL
    Last edited by BR8080; 02-09-2018 at 03:31 AM.
    Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser (Lucille) local pet store
    Boas
    0.1 Caulkers Cay (CC) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Sunglow het moonglow (Sonny) from Dustin Dirnberger
    1.0 BCI - DH Sharp Snow (Bob) from TJ Blevins (Second City Constrictors)
    1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa (Babylon) from Ike Lightener (Ike's Exotics & Aquatics)
    Pythons
    0.0.1 Unknown/undocumented rescue (Roger)
    Northern White Lip (Solo)
    Cats

1.1 Domestic short hair (Esther and James)
    Snake Wishlist
    Drymarchon Malanurus (Black Tail Cribno)
    SD/D Retic
    Woma or Black Headed Python
    Other Reptile Wishlist
    Poison dart frogs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BR8080 For This Useful Post:

Tyler Lawrence (02-09-2018)

Registered User CharlotteCerise's Avatar
    Thanks
    I got mine as yearling and she was definitely more feisty than she is now. Regular, short handling sessions that end on a good note have helped immensely. I think with time she'll become more tame. Just keep every interaction positive. Short and sweet. I think if you get a hatchling you'll have more luck with it.
    0.0.1 Pastel Ball Python "Mocha"
    0.0.1 Colombian Rainbow Boa Het. Leucistic "Aurora"
    0.1 Vietnamese Blue Beauty "Jelly"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlotteCerise For This Useful Post:

Tyler Lawrence (03-07-2018)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

I wanted to resurrect this thread to show some more photos of our little Nova. She is now one year old and will calm down and sit in my lap fairly quickly. She will also do it with Chris and allow him to gently rub her head while she sits there. Proof that regular and proper handling can make even the Asian rats a calm pet!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-28-2018),Prognathodon (04-05-2018),Reinz (04-05-2018),Tyler Lawrence (04-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    I'll say yes...I used to have (& raise) some Taiwan beauty rat snakes, they were quite handle-able without biting. They are active snakes though so you don't want to over-restrain them, & when you approach them, make sure they know you aren't bringing food. Actually, I'm mostly a "rat snake person"...all kinds. Some are much calmer than others, but I guess that's what I like most about them- their enthusiasm & activity level. They're not boring...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-25-2018),richardhind1972 (04-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've seen a tame one before, I'm sure it varies individual to individual, but with time and effort and getting at a young age then I don't see why you couldn't.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-25-2018)