Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,101

2 members and 3,099 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Decent food mix?

Just started my colony of mice and rats. I'm currently feeding them a mix of dog food and critter mix that I get in bulk at my local grocery store. I have provided pictures of the nutrition chart of each product and would like some feedback on what you guys think.

Twice a week I also give them these treats
    Last edited by chemdogxxx; 02-05-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Thanks
    I've never raised mice (just rats) but based on the nutrition info on the dog food, it should have enough protein (you need at least 18% for mice). Note that the sunflower seeds and peanuts in the critter mix are high in fat. Keep a watch on their coats for them being too oily and also for weight gain.. If they become obese, they may not breed well.

Sorry I can't be more help, maybe someone will come along with mice-specific experience for you soon.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Decent food mix?

I have to feed Mazuri otherwise my breeders eat the babies for lack of protein. It was as simple as going from 18% to 23%. As far as im concerned theres nothing better than a Quality feed. I believe that's partially why my snakes have grown like they do, of course good genetics help too. This is $19.99 for 25lbs at any Tractor Supply or Country Max. Also free shipping on amazon.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The dog food is fine however I would stay away from the seeds as a staple diet, every now and then as a treat it's fine but you really want them to eat what's good for them in term of breeding and producing feeders (obviously like people animals do not know what's best for them )

I will tell you what I do and you can make your own call, I have started breeding feeders mice and rats in 2007 and I produce several thousands every year, my goal is to produce feeders and have healthy breeders.

When I first started I did like everyone else started buying Mazuri 6 F designed for feeder breeders. At the time my observation were normal size litters however my issue is that many of my females were developing mammary tumors, about 20%/25%. At the time I decided to do an experiment and try Doggy Bags from tractor supply ($12.99 for 40 lbs), I had heard mixed reviews but I like to try things and see for myself.

I kept half of my colony on Mazuri and Half on Doggy Bags for a year, and I was very surprise of the results since many people were looking down on dog food, my rats were not greasy or smelly (well not more then the usual, not like they smell like roses anyway), litter size was the same or better and the mammary tumors rate significantly dropped, it is now very rare for me to have a female with a tumor, I would say 2% a year now.

Obviously that side by side test lead me to switch to Doggy Bags completely, what I look at is a diet of 18% Protein and not too high in fat and also no red die.

Obviously 100000 of thousands of feeders later and a healthy group of snakes later, I would not change a thing.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

breederfeeder (02-11-2018),chemdogxxx (02-05-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The dog food is fine however I would stay away from the seeds as a staple diet, every now and then as a treat it's fine but you really want them to eat what's good for them in term of breeding and producing feeders (obviously like people animals do not know what's best for them )

I will tell you what I do and you can make your own call, I have started breeding feeders mice and rats in 2007 and I produce several thousands every year, my goal is to produce feeders and have healthy breeders.

When I first started I did like everyone else started buying Mazuri 6 F designed for feeder breeders. At the time my observation were normal size litters however my issue is that many of my females were developing mammary tumors, about 20%/25%. At the time I decided to do an experiment and try Doggy Bags from tractor supply ($12.99 for 40 lbs), I had heard mixed reviews but I like to try things and see for myself.

I kept half of my colony on Mazuri and Half on Doggy Bags for a year, and I was very surprise of the results since many people were looking down on dog food, my rats were not greasy or smelly (well not more then the usual, not like they smell like roses anyway), litter size was the same or better and the mammary tumors rate significantly dropped, it is now very rare for me to have a female with a tumor, I would say 2% a year now.

Obviously that side by side test lead me to switch to Doggy Bags completely, what I look at is a diet of 18% Protein and not too high in fat and also no red die.

Obviously 100000 of thousands of feeders later and a healthy group of snakes later, I would not change a thing.
    Deb is that the name (Doggy Bags) or a description? Ive never heard of it but for $12.99 id try the change.. My ASF breeders cost me a lot every month even though I use 1/2" hardcloth for lab block dispensers. Do you think the 18% would be enough for them not to eat the babies or do you believe ASF's another Ball Game ?
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Deb is that the name (Doggy Bags) or a description? Ive never heard of it but for $12.99 id try the change.. My ASF breeders cost me a lot every month even though I use 1/2" hardcloth for lab block dispensers. Do you think the 18% would be enough for them not to eat the babies or do you believe ASF's another Ball Game ?
    It's actually the name https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...g?cm_vc=-10005

Depending on the store they might have it on the floor (mine does not) but they carry it, I usually order mine (make sure they have enough) and pick it up free at the store (rat day is a truckload day between bedding and food )

As far as ASF honestly those do well on 18% but it's their nature of spawn of evil that make it difficult, bred them shortly and I hated them, I rather breed mice to start my snakes and switch them to rats after 3 meals.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-05-2018)

Thanks

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions.