Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

0 members and 2,956 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python temperature too high???

Hey guys, I my ball python setup is almost complete. I have a 20L with eco-earth. A water dish, two hides. And then a small little plant and another one that sucks onto the side purely for decoration. I have a zoomed heat pad on one side and then a 60W CHE on a dimmer very low on the middle. My hot side on the heat mat can read up to 96 if it is pushed into the eco Earth a tad, but only 89 if it resting right on top. The CHE makes a perfect heat gradient all the way down to 77 on the cool side. I have seen some people say that 95 is too hot some say it is not if they can have a spot to cool then down. I would like to know your guys ideas.
    Is 95 too hot, even if they have any where else to cool down? If so should I get a second dimmer for the heat mat? Or should a regular misting from time to time bump the temp down a bit? Also remember, if the probe is just on top of the eco-earth it reads just under 90. Thanks guys!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mind_boy For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-05-2018),Virago (02-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Your heat mat is in the enclosure?

your uth or heat mat needs to be on the outside bottom of the tank regulated by a thermostat. No if and or buts about it. Do not use it if it does not have a thermostat.

I use a jumpstart bought from Amazon. It's the green one. I also use an accurite digital humidity and temp gauge. The grey one.

Post a a pic of your set up for us to see.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-04-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (02-04-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-07-2018),Virago (02-07-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Ball python temperature too high???

Quote Originally Posted by Mind_boy View Post
    Hey guys, I my ball python setup is almost complete. I have a 20L with eco-earth. A water dish, two hides. And then a small little plant and another one that sucks onto the side purely for decoration. I have a zoomed heat pad on one side and then a 60W CHE on a dimmer very low on the middle. My hot side on the heat mat can read up to 96 if it is pushed into the eco Earth a tad, but only 89 if it resting right on top. The CHE makes a perfect heat gradient all the way down to 77 on the cool side. I have seen some people say that 95 is too hot some say it is not if they can have a spot to cool then down. I would like to know your guys ideas.
    Is 95 too hot, even if they have any where else to cool down? If so should I get a second dimmer for the heat mat? Or should a regular misting from time to time bump the temp down a bit? Also remember, if the probe is just on top of the eco-earth it reads just under 90. Thanks guys!
    Yes its to hot and read the Sticky on how to set up a Glass enclosure because you would see you can never run any heat source without it being regulated for 1... for 2 you never measure the top of substrate, you measure the glass because thats the hottest point above the UTH where the snake will burrow.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-05-2018),Virago (02-07-2018)

Thanks

Sounds like you got the exact same setup as me lol. i pretty much asked the same thing a few days ago. an yes 95° is too hot, misting will cool it down but not for long and you dont want too high of humidity.

Make sure your thermostat probe is taped to the UTH under the tub not inside, then have a thermometer probe inside the tub under the substrate directly over the heat mat. 89° on top of the substrate is fine. ball pythons will move the substrate and end up directly on the plastic, mine does all the time so make sure the heat pad never goes over 93°.

My heat pad thermostat is set to 93° and my thermo gun measures from 91-93° inside on the plastic. on top of the substrate i read 87-90 which is fine as they will burrow or push the substrate aside. also my substrate is on a 1/4inch over the heat pad and 3 inches every where else. I personally think 95° is fine but thermostats, thermometers and heat pads are not perfect so be on the safe side an keep the actual heat pad itself lower than 95°
    im no expert but thats the advice i got from another member and i feel way more confident in my setup now. Good luck im sure youll be fine
    Last edited by Virago; 02-07-2018 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks

No, the mat is in the bottom of the glass, on the outside.

Thanks

Ok, I understand you saying measuring on top of the glass, but then if the glass is too hot, and I cool lit down, then the substrate will just be even cooler

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Measure at the glass on the inside. It should be no hotter than 90. And then no more than 1/4"of substrate on top. Get that heat mat on a thermostat or in plug it. It MUST be regulated or not used. It's ok that the substrate is cooler because a python will burrow down.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Measure the temperature at the bottom of the enclosure. Don't worry about the substrate, ball pythons have a powerful thermal sense and will locate the UTH and burrow down in the substrate to get to the warm spot.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    You animal can and will burrow. You need to monitor the temperature of the hottest surface they can touch. This would be under the substrate.
    If you do not have your UTH on a thermostat you need to get one ordered. You can use a dimmer but unless your room temperatures are very stable you will have to adjust it a lot.

Thanks

THANKS YALL! so excited to get my noodle! I the jumpstart showed up today, I am taping it to the glass and setting desired temp and removing some substrate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast