Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,198

2 members and 2,196 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Bite Club - First Bite from BCI Behira/Hook Training

Hey, I'd call 27 years one heck of a winning streak! I will be interested to hear your updates on how Behira reacts to the hook. I'm having to utilize one for the first time with my little scrub and he haaaaaaaates it. I mean, with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. I feel bad using it on him because it makes him so mad...but I would also like to keep all my fingers

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-09-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    I just don’t know why people make a big deal out of a bite. My ATB bit me countless times, last bite was yesterday and it bleeded. As long as it’s not in the face I don’t give a :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r: about it. Actually i got used to it and find it sweet now
    Nobody is making a big deal about it. The thread is about Bites. Sharing stories. I'd rather not have any of my snakes bite me because there's a good chance they will lose teeth and they can get a infection. I'm much more concerned about my snakes health then anything else... it's not a good idea to lose a bunch of teeth and then have filthy rat bacteria in their mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-09-2018),dakski (02-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Nobody is making a big deal about it. The thread is about Bites. Sharing stories. I'd rather not have any of my snakes bite me because there's a good chance they will lose teeth and they can get a infection. I'm much more concerned about my snakes health then anything else... it's not a good idea to lose a bunch of teeth and then have filthy rat bacteria in their mouth.

Agreed. Also, in general, and for multiple reasons, who wants to get bit? Additionally people tend to overreact to these things, partly we write and joke about it, and try to determine the best ways to care for our snakes and prevent bites (for all involved). My biggest issue now is that my fiancé is afraid to hold Behira, for the first time, and is nervous having her in the house. I am sure, over time, and hopefully no more bites, or fewer and far between, she will relax.

I work really hard at trying to educate people, including my fiancé, that these are not animals to be feared. Respected, yes. I feel at fault for the bite, not mad at Behira. Somehow, Behira gets the blame.

People will wrestle with their dogs, get much worse, yet fear a snake.

Boasting about being bit and how it doesn't bother you doesn't help the bad rep snakes get.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    Hey, I'd call 27 years one heck of a winning streak! I will be interested to hear your updates on how Behira reacts to the hook. I'm having to utilize one for the first time with my little scrub and he haaaaaaaates it. I mean, with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. I feel bad using it on him because it makes him so mad...but I would also like to keep all my fingers
    Yeah, fingers are good! A thousand suns, huh? Wicked!

So far, so good. I have a small snake hook now, which is fine for Behira's size today, but ordered a 32 or 36 inch one for when she's a big girl.

Jeff Ronne told me to put something soft on the hook, or use the soft handle to touch the snake. Let them know you are there. You might want to try something more gentle. The idea is to let them know it's not food time and you are there to pick them up, but also avoid and accidental bite.

Last night, Behira was looking for food again. I put the hook up to her neck, rubbed her a little, then her body, then picked her up.

Was she ecstatic, no, but she didn't strike or hiss at me or the hook, and let me pick her up without fanfare.

I'll keep you in the loop!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (02-09-2018)

Thanks

Bite Club - First Bite from BCI Behira/Hook Training

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

Boasting about being bit and how it doesn't bother you doesn't help the bad rep snakes get.
    Can't help but compare people who dont try and avoid snake bites or in fact get bit on purpose like that idiot Catfish who has the Burm latch onto him to people that smash beer cans on their foreheads. Stupidity but at the animals Expense.

Last edited by CALM Pythons; 02-09-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-09-2018)

Thanks

Can't help but compare people who dont try and avoid snake bites or in fact get bit on purpose like that idiot Catfish who has the Burm latch onto him to people that smash beer cans on their foreheads heads. Stupidity but at the animals Expense.

Enough people who don't understand snakes, or the difference between a rattlesnake and a corn snake, or worse, fear them, as it is. Passing laws and condemning owning reptiles in general.

Not to get political, but just let people live their lives! Live your own life! Don't worry so much about what your neighbor is doing. No one is getting hurt here!

Having said that, I do think it is important for reptile owners to be responsible owners. Both in care for their animals, and in how they portray them to friends, the public, etc.

It should be our job to educate and inform. Not add to fear and misperception.

My 7 year old niece loves my reptiles, like I did when I was a kid, and I love seeing that passion. I love having the ability to teach her to respect them, but not fear them, as she grows. Will she be a breeder? Probably not, but at least she won't be scared.

Additionally, if people are ambivalent, I show pictures of my niece holding the reptiles, or introduce them to my BP Shayna (the sweetest and calmest snake I have ever met). I want to help people with the fear and hesitation. However, if people are scared, I do not push on them. I try to be careful not to make the fear worse.

I think some people don't understand fear/ignorance and try to push snakes on people. It doesn't help. I have had much more success being calm and slowly introducing people and feeling them out then pushing an animal on them; that backfires almost every time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-09-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Arboreal snakes when they bite its a different issue. I don,t think they will lose teeth that easy. As i have mentioned before, my ATB bit me countless times and never lost a tooth i think. Maybe because they have a different set of teeth or because the bites are just defensive. My GTP bit me several times and never lost a tooth. As for bacteria, i think they are somewhat immune to that as my snakes eat live prey and they bite it and get also blood and bacteria in their mouths. And sure i would love if they don,t bite, but how can i convey that to my ATB? I was able to reduce the number of his bites and tame him partially not totally

Thanks

Ohhhh, yeah something soft on the hook is a great idea! I think he hates the metal. He bucks at it and bites at it, raises up like a freaking cobra. He goes ballistic at the thing, and while he's busy hating it, I can usually grab him and coax him out. As soon as he's out of the cage, he bolts to me like, "MOM, did you see that monster in there?!?!" So interesting. Outside of his enclosure, he's a lamb...but as soon as he crosses the threshold back in, his pupils dilate, and it's a definite no-hands zone.

I want him to feel comfortable with the hook because I don't know that he will ever be the kind of snake you can consistently reach in and pick up without a second thought. Especially when he's a big boy and has dragon teeth

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    Arboreal snakes when they bite its a different issue. I don,t think they will lose teeth that easy. As i have mentioned before, my ATB bit me countless times and never lost a tooth i think. Maybe because they have a different set of teeth or because the bites are just defensive. My GTP bit me several times and never lost a tooth. As for bacteria, i think they are somewhat immune to that as my snakes eat live prey and they bite it and get also blood and bacteria in their mouths. And sure i would love if they don,t bite, but how can i convey that to my ATB? I was able to reduce the number of his bites and tame him partially not totally
    Mine eat Fresh Kill or Live... I acually know of snakes that had their whole mouth swell from bacteria getting to where they lost teeth... One I know of died 4 months later. How common is it probably not very, but I do all I can to prevent any kind of mishaps because I feel 100% responsible for their life. I don't know about Arboreal snakes at all...i know they have a hell of a set of Chompers though. Most of the time when a smaller snake looses their teeth unless it's in your arm you won't even know. As a matter of fact sometimes you find teeth days later because they're like a sliver. But anyway my point is I do what's best for the snake and them getting stressed & biting is what I try to prevent for their own good.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-09-2018),dakski (02-09-2018)

Thanks

Quick update.

One week of "hook training" has been very effective.

I stroke Behira a couple of times on different spots on her body before picking her up with my hand. Works like a charm every time.

Once picked up, she is a total sweetheart, as always.

Additionally and a BIG UPDATE, Katie, my fiancé, held her tonight.

We talked about it and I explained that it was a hunger response and that we will hook train from now on.

She feels much better and put her arms right out to hold our baby today.

Brave on her part, especially since she has only lived with snakes/reptiles, for 7 months now.

I am very happy.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-10-2018),CALM Pythons (02-10-2018),Jus1More (02-18-2018),Reptimom (02-16-2018),Team Slytherin (02-10-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast