Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

0 members and 3,195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Bite Club - First Bite from BCI Behira/Hook Training

Ok, so I got my first bite from my BCI and first snake bite in 27 years, tonight.

Behira looked like she was tense/looking for food and curled her neck - as if to strike, when I opened her tank (front door). I called her bluff and started to pick her up from the mid section. WHAM! She turned and nailed me in the arm. Didn't hold on, and I was more upset with me than at her.

Having said that, she is only 3-3 1/2 Feet now and 700 Grams, and don't want a repeat performance at 7+ FT!

Today is feeding day, but I have moved her to every 2 weeks, so she skips this week. There were no rats/mice thawed or touched, today, and besides, it was not a feeding bite.

She seems somewhat territorial in her tank, but is always a puppy dog when I get her out.

I hooked her a minute later, and she was a tame as can be while I held her for a few minutes.

A) Could she outgrow this? She's still only about 1 1/2 years old.

B) Does hook training make sense? She shows zero aggression once out of her tank.

Additionally, my fiancé was in the room and is now freaked out. She does not want an aggressive animal.

I think this does not make her an aggressive animal. However, I want to be more cautious.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-04-2018)

Thanks

Re: Bite Club - First Bite from BCI Behira/Hook Training

I would recommend hook training on all boas that reach significant length. It wouldn't hurt anything to have em hook trained and it might come in handy around the 6 or 7 foot mark. Boas in general are usually pretty docile, but can be nippy , especially when food is involved. I doubt your boa is agressive probably just wishful for food.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alexio For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-04-2018),CALM Pythons (02-04-2018),dakski (02-04-2018),Jus1More (02-18-2018)

Thanks

Any secrets to hook training?

Or basically, you just take the snake out of the tank with a hook?

Not trying to be snarky, or oversimplify, but wondering if there is more to it?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Every snake is going to have its own personality.

Maybe you startled her?

I personally am not much help here as i have never hook trained any of my snakes and i reach in and grab any of them fine. Once they know it's me grabbing them, they just sit there or will come out themselves. If they dont want to come out, they will try and outrun my hand dragging them out lol. I have only been bit because of stupidity on my part like thinking i can reach inside and behind the snake quick enough to move stuff after handling FT rats and not washing my hands. Didnt work.

For me, i noticed my males tend to look around more and be overall more alert. My females are pretty laid back and more or less just sit there when i reach in. Once they smell food though, i dont trust anyone as they all go from Jeckyll to Hyde.

And welcome to the club. And really, even a 6 ft bite doesnt hurt much but they do bruise and bleed nicely lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

67temp (02-08-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (02-04-2018),CALM Pythons (02-04-2018),dakski (02-05-2018)

Thanks

Im not sure if there is a standard or anything. I start by sticking the hook in and rubbing under the chin very gently and slowly. If the snake is going to do something agressive this is likely where it will happen. After i rub under the chin I stroke the middle back and middle sides. This gets the snake aclamated to being touched where your going to pick it up. Then you can use the hook under the front portion of the body and lift from the middle with your hands like you normally would. I always scoop from the underside by sliding my hand under then lifting. I never grab by the sides or the top.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexio For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Any secrets to hook training?

Or basically, you just take the snake out of the tank with a hook?

Not trying to be snarky, or oversimplify, but wondering if there is more to it?
    No you never use the hook to take the snake out.. Its for letting them know its you and whats to come. Ive use the hook to push their head back if they are nippy so the snake isnt facing me when I grab it with the other hand but you dont lift their weight with the hook. During any feeding times dont use the hook and this way it conditions them a bit to associate the hook with handling time.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-05-2018),GoingPostal (02-06-2018),jmcrook (02-04-2018),Jus1More (02-18-2018)

Thanks

Ps looks like he got ya open mouth pretty good .. I see the mark under your arm from the bottom teeth...
    From the way you described his behavior I would of let him be unless I had to clean the enclosure.. Sounds like he told you, but you didn't listen hahahaha
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-04-2018),dakski (02-04-2018)

Thanks

Yeah, I understand. In the past, I've had BP's hiss etc. I call their bluff and take them out. No problem.

Again, once I got her out, she was fine. Not sure what he thought process was - but I ignored the obvious signs. She was tense.

Okay, so to be clear, I use the hook to let her know it's time to come out, but I actually take her out with my hands?

Additionally, and I know I asked, does this seem like a territory thing? She is so calm 99% of the time. Could just be a bad mood I guess.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    That was a defensive/go away bite because you touched her unexpectedly. She did not associate you opening her enclosure with being touched on the side. A hook will help with that, just a light rub on their side to let them know that it's "you" about to fool with them, and if the boa strikes the hook you don't care.

You can also use the hook to control their head, but that's usually when they are foody. A light touch or rub under the chin or on the side of the neck lets them know it's not feeding time.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-05-2018),dakski (02-05-2018),Jus1More (02-18-2018),Sonny1318 (02-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Yeah, I understand. In the past, I've had BP's hiss etc. I call their bluff and take them out. No problem.

Again, once I got her out, she was fine. Not sure what he thought process was - but I ignored the obvious signs. She was tense.

Okay, so to be clear, I use the hook to let her know it's time to come out, but I actually take her out with my hands?

Additionally, and I know I asked, does this seem like a territory thing? She is so calm 99% of the time. Could just be a bad mood I guess.
    Some snakes are what they call cage defensive or aggressive. I dont know your boy so you have to read him. There are even Balls like this & once they are all out they're A-Ok. But read him from now on as most Balls wont turn around and tag you they just strike strait in front of themselves but Boa's, Retic, Burms & several others will turn right around and grab you. The bigger he gets the longer the reach too so learn that hook & use itvto guide his head/neck so he cant reach you if you need to take him out to clean even if he doesn't want you to.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-05-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast