Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,798

2 members and 2,796 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Just paid for RBI products!! Can't wait to get them here...

Bought a T5HO 22" light strip and UV bulb, some heat tape, and a RHP for when I upgrade Mazikeen into an IRIS Christmas tub. I'm also wanting to test the RHP and heat tape on the tub size she currently has, because if I can turn down the heat in the house while still keeping her temps up, I'm definitely doing it. Their site suggested the 80watt for temps below 74F -- which it does get in winter, to my chagrin, so we'll see how this goes!

Thank goodness for tall tubs, otherwise this probably wouldn't be possible lol. I'm just so excited to test things that I have to say something!

Now to pick up some branches. I'm sick of looking at PVC pipe :/.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-04-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Just paid for RBI products!! Can't wait to get them here...

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Bought a T5HO 22" light strip and UV bulb, some heat tape, and a RHP for when I upgrade Mazikeen into an IRIS Christmas tub. I'm also wanting to test the RHP and heat tape on the tub size she currently has, because if I can turn down the heat in the house while still keeping her temps up, I'm definitely doing it. Their site suggested the 80watt for temps below 74F -- which it does get in winter, to my chagrin, so we'll see how this goes!

Thank goodness for tall tubs, otherwise this probably wouldn't be possible lol. I'm just so excited to test things that I have to say something!

Now to pick up some branches. I'm sick of looking at PVC pipe :/.
    I like those tubs, but I have never considered doing a complete setup because I thought I would get annoyed taking the lid on and off, but I am interested to see how this turns out. The bulb will actually add a notable amount of heat to the setup in my experience. I haven't tried it on a tub, but in a glass setup it usually adds 2-3 degrees F or so.

I know the general recommendation on these forums is a minimum temperature of ~ 77 F, but if you can keep it above or at 74 or so, you should be fine. This is the beauty of a heat gradient and if you look at temperatures from (for example) Ghana you see that the average low across season is around 76-77, but does get down to 74 sometimes. You have both heat tape and a RHP, which gives you a great deal of control over the temperatures, so it may be a non-issue for you to get the temperatures you want.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Re: Just paid for RBI products!! Can't wait to get them here...

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    I like those tubs, but I have never considered doing a complete setup because I thought I would get annoyed taking the lid on and off, but I am interested to see how this turns out. The bulb will actually add a notable amount of heat to the setup in my experience. I haven't tried it on a tub, but in a glass setup it usually adds 2-3 degrees F or so.

I know the general recommendation on these forums is a minimum temperature of ~ 77 F, but if you can keep it above or at 74 or so, you should be fine. This is the beauty of a heat gradient and if you look at temperatures from (for example) Ghana you see that the average low across season is around 76-77, but does get down to 74 sometimes. You have both heat tape and a RHP, which gives you a great deal of control over the temperatures, so it may be a non-issue for you to get the temperatures you want.
    The RHP and light are both going to be inside of the lid, and the lid is several inches tall, so I'm hoping the lid removal won't be too annoying -- at least, not any more annoying than my current setup. That's good to know about the light -- I figured it would do that, but I'd still need something to counteract the temps at night. And that might also work to give a daytime temperature boost, since you'd expect it to be slightly hotter during the day than at night anyways.

If this works (and I'm thinking it will) I can probably lower the house thermostat down to 68-70F so we're not wasting so much power for one tiny snake lol. Like you said, complete temperature mastery! (68's still pretty cold to me so maybe not :/)

Either way, I'm planning on having Maze in the Christmas tub for at least 2 years -- which is about when I'm hoping to have gotten started on building her final enclosure. The RHP and UTH could possibly end up heating that as well, if I like them both and they last that long.

I'll keep y'all posted!
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej