Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,145

1 members and 2,144 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Sorry. Sounded like you had a glass tank with substrate.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Pudding progression thread

I swear we go over and over & over these temp questions even though the answers never change hahahahaha
    .. All thermometers are up to 3 degrees off. With that said 91 is always the MAX you want any hot spot to read. Doesn't matter why or how the temp is reaching this 91, but that is max so its best to set it to 88/89 because thermometers are already off up to 3 degrees. So if its reading 88/89 and off by 3 it could be 91./92. On the other hand if its off by 3 and you have it 91 then it could be 94 which is to hot... Lower the temp.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (02-15-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    I swear we go over and over & over these temp questions even though the answers never change hahahahaha
    .. All thermometers are up to 3 degrees off. With that said 91 is always the MAX you want any hot spot to read. Doesn't matter why or how the temp is reaching this 91, but that is max so its best to set it to 88/89 because thermometers are already off up to 3 degrees. So if its reading 88/89 and off by 3 it could be 91./92. On the other hand if its off by 3 and you have it 91 then it could be 94 which is to hot... Lower the temp.
    I know those and my hot spots are 86~89 measured by temp gun. But my question was that, the snake was on the hot spot hide and I saw it moved to the cool spot. I instantly measured the bottom of the tub where the snake was laying on and it measured at 94~95 degrees. I was asking if it should go up like that after snake was laying on it? because when I didn't have snake, it was perfectly at 86~89 degrees. Is it suppose to go up because snake is on there? if so, should I lower thermostat even more? other parts of hot spot is perfect except for when snake lays on it for long time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post
    I know those and my hot spots are 86~89 measured by temp gun. But my question was that, the snake was on the hot spot hide and I saw it moved to the cool spot. I instantly measured the bottom of the tub where the snake was laying on and it measured at 94~95 degrees. I was asking if it should go up like that after snake was laying on it? because when I didn't have snake, it was perfectly at 86~89 degrees. Is it suppose to go up because snake is on there? if so, should I lower thermostat even more? other parts of hot spot is perfect except for when snake lays on it for long time.
    No temps dont rise from something being on it as far as I've ever seen myself. They're cold blooded so their temp wont raise it. But you will see this from time to time.. The temps change and thats why we use the Thermostat and a Probe thermometer that stays in the enclosure so when you walk by you can view the Hot temp and cool temp. If there looks to be something wrong thats when i also double check with my laser gun too. It takes a month before you know exactly how you can get the temps you want when your new at this or when you get a enclosure you haven't had before. Its all trial and error for a bit. Don't second guess yourself, take what you learned and dial it all in when things are off. You will be doing this again come spring. The temps and humidity for each season change how your enclosure reacts a bit to heating elements.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Also not sure what your temps were today but it was a lot warmer in NY. Above freezing. That alone changes how my enclosures react to heating. Something as simple as that can make it so you might have to adjust things until you find the happy medium.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Also not sure what your temps were today but it was a lot warmer in NY. Above freezing. That alone changes how my enclosures react to heating. Something as simple as that can make it so you might have to adjust things until you find the happy medium.
    yea, during winter, probably doesn't matter because my house itself won't get warmer even in warm days lol my space heater will control the weather so it should be steady. Maybe during summer, it might get hotter.
    Anyways, I was wondering if the thermometer on the hot spot needs the humidity measurement also? or just temperature.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gusanr14 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-05-2018)

Thanks

yea, during winter, probably doesn't matter because my house itself won't get warmer even in warm days lol my space heater will control the weather so it should be steady. Maybe during summer, it might get hotter.
    Anyways, I was wondering if the thermometer on the hot spot needs the humidity measurement also? or just temperature.
    It doesn't need to display all 3, but you need to have something in the enclose for Humidity and its just easier than having a bunch of different stuff in the enclosure fir the snake to knock around. Its up to you which ones you like. The threads on here that describe what products work for most of us are suggestions.. From here on out its up to you to decide what works best for you.
    Some of these things you look into way to much...its all really simple if you follow the Guidelines in the stickies and don't question why things happen the way they do
    Hope your enjoying him so far..
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

gusanr14 (02-05-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It doesn't need to display all 3, but you need to have something in the enclose for Humidity and its just easier than having a bunch of different stuff in the enclosure fir the snake to knock around. Its up to you which ones you like. The threads on here that describe what products work for most of us are suggestions.. From here on out its up to you to decide what works best for you.
    Some of these things you look into way to much...its all really simple if you follow the Guidelines in the stickies and don't question why things happen the way they do
    Hope your enjoying him so far..
    Yea I don't have much to enjoy at this moment because I am leaving him alone haha. It is third day since I brought him home. First day, he has been exploring for couple hours and went into hide. Today, in the morning I saw him wandering again. I don't know how to explain this well but his head goes around the lid of the tub almost as if he wants to go out or something. He has already done this on the first day, so does this still mean he is exploring? I saw some posts saying that it could be a sign of stress or he could just be hungry. Husbandry is perfect right now, temp humidity is right on point. He switches between hot spot and cool spot hide time to time which is cute.
    I know it is suggested that he should be fed after a week but could he possibly want food now? He was suppose to be fed on Saturday but since I brought him home that day, he wasn't fed. So he has been off food for a week and 3 days.
    He is is 15 qt tub, so not a big space for him to feel unsecure.

Thanks

Yea I don't have much to enjoy at this moment because I am leaving him alone haha. It is third day since I brought him home. First day, he has been exploring for couple hours and went into hide. Today, in the morning I saw him wandering again. I don't know how to explain this well but his head goes around the lid of the tub almost as if he wants to go out or something. He has already done this on the first day, so does this still mean he is exploring? I saw some posts saying that it could be a sign of stress or he could just be hungry. Husbandry is perfect right now, temp humidity is right on point. He switches between hot spot and cool spot hide time to time which is cute.
    I know it is suggested that he should be fed after a week but could he possibly want food now? He was suppose to be fed on Saturday but since I brought him home that day, he wasn't fed. So he has been off food for a week and 3 days.
    He is is 15 qt tub, so not a big space for him to feel unsecure.
    He is going to try and nose around the lid, if he could he would escape. Dont know what kind of clamps you have on the lid but at some point he will get stronger & his nose will get out of there and hurt himself. The rack systems dont use lids. Its secure from the Rack. I dont know anything about Tubs and Racks, my snakes use big enclosures and have plenty of room to explore and not get into things.
    Wait to feed like everything says. Don't second guess whats been written fir a reason. If you dont follow whats already been established by those that know your always going to have issues. These snakes go months without eating.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

gusanr14 (02-05-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

He is going to try and nose around the lid, if he could he would escape. Dont know what kind of clamps you have on the lid but at some point he will get stronger & his nose will get out of there and hurt himself. The rack systems dont use lids. Its secure from the Rack. I dont know anything about Tubs and Racks, my snakes use big enclosures and have plenty of room to explore and not get into things.
    Wait to feed like everything says. Don't second guess whats been written fir a reason. If you dont follow whats already been established by those that know your always going to have issues. These snakes go months without eating.
    Any reason for that nose around lid? I do have strong clamps to secure the lid when he gets stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast