Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,155

0 members and 3,155 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Exclamation My Ball Python WILL NOT STOP rubbing his nose! PLEASE HELP!

At the reptile expo, I came home with a new Ball Python who I named Trip, super healthy, beautiful face. Now, I've noticed him rubbing his nose against his tub, started off pretty mild at first and I didn't really think anything of it since all my ball pythons rubbed their first week home. Well, it hasn't stopped, and now I'm freaking out because his nose is starting to look rubbed and I'm extremely worried. I have 3 more Ball Pythons in the SAME EXACT setup (tub setup) that NEVER rub, perfectly happy, yet for some reason Trip just rub rub rubs.

Now, I really need to know how I can help stop this. I don't care if I have to buy him a new tank or whatnot, I'm just extremely worried about him. He is currently in a tub setup, and I think that perhaps it's just too small and boring for him? There's nothing inside but a hide, water bowl and repti bark substrate. I was thinking that perhaps getting him a 20 gallon enclosure with two hides and leaves and more things inside could stop this? Does anyone know how to stop this? I love him with all my heart and seeing him like this is killing me!

Now, problem is, I live in a small house. Trip is quarantined from my other bp, Sam, and has been for two months now. If I move Trip into a bigger tank, I have no choice but to move him into the same room with Sam, as there is literally no room anywhere else. I would never ever do this normally, but I feel it is more dangerous for Trip to continue rubbing for another month. Other than rubbing, Trip seems completely healthy, never refused a meal, zero signs of illness, mites, anything. I got him from a very nice breeder who I personally felt very comfortable with, all their animals seemed very healthy. He has been under quarantine and monitored for two months now....how risky is it to move him into the room with Sam? I don't have a choice really, but I'm still paranoid...thoughts?

Thank you so much...

Here are some visuals. First photo pair is the day I got him and second pair is him now.
    I believe the reason it looks so dirty is because he is pushing substrate particles into it as well, I have tried cleaning it but it doesn't do much....I am devastated and so worried about him.....

Protective snek mom

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Has he ever shed for you ?

It almost looks like he has old shed on the tip of his nose. Which would explain the rubbing.

Aside from that I've only ever seen them rub when

1. they had mites !
    2. VERY hungry and looking for food (usually rubbing where the tub will open when food comes)
    3. TO HOT. Uncomfortable because temps to warm all over
    4. To much/to little humidity. Basically...husbandry off
    5. About to shed/bad shed/stuck shed

Can you rule any of those out? A bigger tank will not change any of these unless your husbandry is already "off" and would be "better" in a new cage.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Blizzard (02-05-2018),Craiga 01453 (02-04-2018),KMG (02-04-2018),RickyNY (02-04-2018)

Thanks
    I agree, looks like shed stuck around the heat pits. Bigger is not better, clutter his tiny tub. I usually do this for my males who are “searching” to breed. I use small plastic flower pots. I fill the tub with as many as will fit of all sizes and shapes so they do not fit inside one another easily. You could also use plastic plants, not arranged in any particular way. I would also put a thick rough wet washcloth on one half of his hotspot under a hide or flower pot to give him somewhere moist to be. Also, try switching to paper towels. Most breeders use paper substrate and the reptibark might be irritating him since he has not been on a rough surface constantly.
    Last edited by Ladybugzcrunch; 02-04-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    Nothing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladybugzcrunch For This Useful Post:

Blizzard (02-05-2018)