Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,787

1 members and 2,786 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Where to buy feeder rats?

does anyone know a site or a place I can purchase feeder mice or rats? and if anyone can recommend a scale to weigh my snake that would be great

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 02-02-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Are you looking for live or frozen rodents? How many snakes are you feeding? What state do you live in?

If you just have one or two snakes it may be best to find a local breeder or find a pet store that sells live or frozen. I breed my own rats and mice and go through about 200+ rodents per month and I usually have a few extra, if someone nearby wanted a few I'd gladly sell them a few at a time. I used to have a guy that bought all my extra but now that I've ramped up my number of snakes I don't have too many extra, at least not until I buy another rodent rack. If you have a lot of snakes you can order frozen online but shipping is expensive and you will likely have way more than you can use, they start to get freezer burn after about six months. It's really best to use them within 1-2 months if possible. You can also buy at reptile shows, you avoid shipping costs that way. Or find another snake guy (or two) and split the online order. I've purchased small packs of frozen rodents at big chain pet stores but the quality is always hit and miss, some look like they have been on the shelf for a year.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've used perfect prey a few times and am perfectly happy with them. Their prices are great, quality is top-notch, packaging is flawless and customer service is very good.

It helps having multiple snakes to feed to make shipping costs easier to handle, but in the long run, well worth it.
    Sooooo much cheaper than your local big box stores and a much better product. As long as you can swing the up front cost and have some freezer space, well worth it.

Another option is buying from an expo. Cheaper prices with no shipping. However, make sure your source is a reputable source. I've seen some that are all just tossed in bags, littered with soiled substrate, frozen together, broken legs and tails, etc...

When I receive my orders I sort them by weight, bag them in sandwich or quart size ziplocks in groups of 3-5 and label them. I then place the small bags into large gallon size ziplocks. This allows me to easily find what I need, while only opening a few at a time, keeping the rest fresh. I've never had freezer burn issues.

As for the scale, I got mine from Wal-Mart, under $20. Works well, no complaints. However, as my snakes are getting bigger I'm considering buying a digital hanging scale, like the style you see in the produce section of your grocery stores. Our fellow member @Zincubus turned me on to the idea a while back. Just seems a lot easier. I can't advocate for any yet, but I am looking into possibly getting one soon.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 02-03-2018 at 07:16 AM.