Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

2 members and 3,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Yes, they travel during breeding season and when they set out to find new hiding spots. Most of the time, that travel is done during darkness, because that is what they prefer.

There is a great write up by someone that actually spent a couple of month roughing it in the bush, studying those animals. Most were found in burrows. Some "hunters" stay close to towns, where you will find a lot of trash which attracts rodents and therefor some snakes. There aren't many "burrows" in that environment, so you may find animals living and moving around differently Just like we have much wildlife that have not only come to our cities to steal some garbage but have actually "moved in". Far from their natural environment and way of living, yet there they are. To observe their natural behavior you have to move out into "their" natural habitat.

If we wanted to replicate "natural environment" as in them being able to travel from one burrow to another, we would need at least a room sized enclosure. And then you would most likely still never see the snake, nor could you easily maintain heat and humidity. They are ambush predators. They usually wait for rodents to "stop by". Eventually the snake has to defecate or pass urine and that is oftentimes when they move on to another place, because the smell will give them away to the rodents.

In captivity they have us, the clean up crew, to take care of that problem..

The near darkness is not a problem at all, imho, if anything, it probably helps many of these shy snakes to be more at ease. Which has been proven countless times by how well they are doing, growing, staying healthy and pro creating when set up that way.

Can they be maintained in a display setup, of course. But I doubt they are "happier" or more excited about it because it has light and "fun stuff". If the husbandry is correct and you do offer some "cover" they learn over time that it is a safe place and do show themselves. Usually when the "lights" go out, LOL. I enjoy my display setup, and I make it work for my snake.

But I still say, in the case of Ball Pythons, tubs can be the perfect setup !
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-15-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234