Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,486

2 members and 3,484 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Best complete rack system

I'm jumping to ARS as well, since they sell by the level if you can't drop over 2 grand for a full rack at one time. One reason I went with ARS over FB. Mine is in transit today, should be here tomorrow. Ordered 2 7030 levels w/ wheel base of course(have to have it for the bottom heat strip). Will probably order 2 more levels of 7030 with a transition level to have hatchling/juvenile rack on the top half. Basically want to end up with 2 of these, looks good the way it's set up in the pic. Have one for clown stuff and the other for non recessive morphs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0.1 75% Kalatoa 12.5% Jampea Super Dwarf Retic - Enyo
    0.1 62.5% Purple Phase Jampea - Eris
    1.0 Platron Sunfire Mainland - Hades
    0.1 Albino Suntiger - Xena
    0.1 Platinum Citron Sunfire Albino - Aphrodite

"Animals are not property or things but rather living organisms, subjects of a life, who are worthy of our compassion, respect, friendship and support."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oodaT For This Useful Post:

DandD (02-02-2018)

Thanks
    I definitely think the 3 rack v70 will be ordered shortly I like the fully assembled with belly heat. Here lies the other problem. The ambient temp in my hous is 70 (pa gets cold and oil gets expensive) the belly heat will not affect ambient tub temps. So what are the options to raise the ambient temp in the tub.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    I have decided that a rack system is the way to go for our future collection. I’ve been looking around for a complete rack system (heat and all) already installed. Something big enough for full grown balls maybe 3 to 6 racks. Anyone got a good starting place or use something similar
    In my opinion, for adult ball pythons, you really shouldn't be going smaller than something like the ARS 8507. If they outgrow a standard large hide, you won't practically be able to fit a larger hide into the usual CB-70 tubs. The listed size might say 18", but that's the top opening size. The floor space is actually a bit smaller/narrower. If you want to provide a decent thermal gradient, please consider one of the larger sizes. It's easiest to do when you are first putting enclosures together.

ARS racks are indeed powder coated steel, which is usually rated to like ~10 years. This "effective lifetime" is typically related to ambient temperature and humidity levels where ever they are located.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I think the ARS-8507 is overkill for most ball pythons. But I do have a few of my monster balls in ARS-8018 tubs, basically the same dimension as the 8507 just not as tall. I have a few females that are close to 5000 grams in those big tubs, but I think most ball pythons are 2500 grams or less and would do just fine in an ARS-70 series tub.

If you use grey tubs you don't need to use any hides or decorations at all, the tub acts as a large hide itself. All of my ball pythons are perfectly happy in ARS grey tubs without hides. I actually carve out some of the coconut husk substrate in the back over the hotspot so they sit directly on the tub bottom. It gives them a 'hole' in the substrate to hide in. I actually use ARS-5040 tubs for my males and to grow out females, I'd say probably up to about 1200 grams or so max. Then you need to move them to a 70 series tub. I like the ARS stackable system because you can have some tubs of each size in the same stack and move them up to bigger tubs as they grow (some but not all are stackable).

I'd say a hatchling tub (ARS-1075) until about 500 grams, ARS-5040 until 1000-1200 grams, then an ARS-7030 tub until 2500 grams, then ARS-8018 will grow out the very biggest ball pythons (pretty rare to have any over 2500 grams though).

It's best to use smaller tubs as appropriate and change out the substrate more frequently, you'll actually save on bedding costs in the long run.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 02-02-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks

I have a C-Serpents 3 stack V70 rack, and I also keep my house around 70 degrees. I wish it was a little warmer on the cool side, but it does ok. I keep it on the warmest room in the house. With the room temp at 72 I get about 76 at the cool end.

Chris at C-Serpents will add a second row of heat tape if requested. I think it’s about an extra $40 to add the additional heat for the 3 stack. I am planning to do this when I order my next rack. This might work for you as well.

Goodluck,
    Bryan

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Boaphile makes AWESOME racks as well !!!

You may have to wait a little longer, but mine has been running for 9 years without a hitch. I use the Rhinoraxx Racks. You can choose from different configurations. Heat is installed. I love mine and my next hatchling rack will be a Boaphile as well.

I am NOT impressed with TGR !!!

I used their hatchling rack for one season and it worked ok. Didn't like the "open side and back" construction though. But then I found out about how shoddy they were wired and THAT I was not at all happy about. I messaged them about it and I was ignored. I finally had my say at someone's else review about the same issue. That got the discussion started again and they got on that thread and "explained" how that wiring was tested "by them" and should be ok. And they said they would message me about a resolution.

Needless to say, I never heard another word from them. I sold that rack at half price with full disclosure. New owner won't use heat tape, heats the entire room.

All that said, supposedly they wire their heat tape correctly now, and they also offer side and back panels for the racks. But for me, that ship has sailed. I can understand mistakes and I can understand issues. But its how you take care of them that matters. I never expected money back or new parts or anything of that sort. But I DID expect them to at least reply to me or message me.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

L.West (02-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I have 2 racks by C-serpents. Both came assembled. They go to shows and sell there, but will also ship their smaller racks. For adult BPs, you'd want a CB70 rack. They make a 3 tub version that they will ship. They make larger stacks for pickup at shows. I thought their prices were on par with AP once you consider that the Cserpents racks come with tubs and you have to buy the AP tubs separately. My 3 tub adult rack from them came with vision tubs which I love compared to the iris tubs.
    Wow I really like the C-Serpents racks... I wasn't thinking of going to a rack system until now
    Leopold 1.0 Banana Ball Python
    Vaida 0.1 Super Mojave Ball Python
    Francis 1.0 Banana California Kingsnake
    Winston 1.0 Flame Crested Gecko
    BamBam 0.0.1 Chocolate Albino Leopard Gecko
    & Turtle, Frostbite, Thor, Loki, Oskhar, and Abby

Thanks
    I strongly recommend only rack systems that are closed in on the sides and back, because they help maintain heat and humidity and help protect your snakes from cold drafts. I also highly recommend just building your own out of PVC or Melamine. There are really super simple and cheap to build and it will be much higher quality than the commercially available rack systems...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    I also highly recommend just building your own out of PVC or Melamine. There are really super simple and cheap to build and it will be much higher quality than the commercially available rack systems...

Hm, I have to say, my opinion differs...don't shoot me

PVC is NOT cheap to buy (the right kind) and Melamine is so SO heavy and doesn't play well with humidity.

Years ago when a rescue I had dropped a clutch, I built my own hatchling rack. Out of Melamine. Now...it was very nice. Solid as a rock. Everything fit perfect, I added heat tape. But solid as a rock was also heavy as a BIG rock. Since I don't like ANY racks that have the tubs sliding directly onto the heat tape, I ran the heat tape along the back of the tubs. Worked perfect, but still, I prefer belly heat with heat tape. And for that I like the PVC racks that have that channel routered in, so the heat tape doesn't have the tub sliding (rubbing) on it.

I much prefer a well built PVC rack over Melamine. IF the PVC was better priced AND I had the correct tools to build them like the companies that make the good ones, I would consider them. But for now its more cost effective to buy a PVC rack , then to build one. IF one wants it done the way those companies make them.

But hey, I agree on wanting them "closed in". And I don't even have drafts and my rooms stay even heated. I just prefer them that way.
    Last edited by zina10; 02-13-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    Melamine is definitely heavy! That's the only thing I don't like about it. But, it stands up to humidity just fine, though. It's laminated, so how couldn't it? That's why melamine is pretty much the standard for rack builds... I would definitely prefer PVC over melamine, though. It's $80.00 per sheet, but that still beats $245.00 + $65.00 S&H for a little 3 rack system with only 4" heat tape and you could probably build a 4 rack system out of 1 sheet...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

zina10 (02-13-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast