Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,002

0 members and 3,002 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Not pooping?

Thanks

Not pooping?

I’m not sure if this is something to be concerned about or not, but my female hognose has consistently pooped 2-4 days after eating, every time. Recently, she ate three times without defecating at all. There was a lump near her vent, so I soaked her and she went the next day. I don’t know if this was the right thing to do, but everywhere I’ve read online says soaking is usually a good idea if there is a lump. Since then, she has again eaten three times without going. Whether this is normal or not, I’m worried because it doesn’t seem to be normal for her. I’ve had her for a year, and this has never happened. Nothing has changed in her enclosure either.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Not pooping?

Quote Originally Posted by widget View Post
    I’m not sure if this is something to be concerned about or not, but my female hognose has consistently pooped 2-4 days after eating, every time. Recently, she ate three times without defecating at all. There was a lump near her vent, so I soaked her and she went the next day. I don’t know if this was the right thing to do, but everywhere I’ve read online says soaking is usually a good idea if there is a lump. Since then, she has again eaten three times without going. Whether this is normal or not, I’m worried because it doesn’t seem to be normal for her. I’ve had her for a year, and this has never happened. Nothing has changed in her enclosure either.
    Nothing to worry about. Yes sometimes soaking helps but that isn't something that needs to be done. As you noticed she went the day after.. If she had a blockage or another issue the soaking wouldn't of done a thing. Sometimes my girls go twice in a week then skip 3 weeks. It can have to do with all kinds if things and most you dont need to be concerned with as long as your husbandry is on point.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Has she outgrown they prey you're feeding?

If the snake is using up pretty much the entire prey item for sustainability and growth there is basically nothing left to poop out.

What does your girl weigh and what size prey are you feeding?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (02-02-2018),RickyNY (02-02-2018)

Thanks

Re: Not pooping?

Thank you. (:

She was 147 grams last time I weighed her, and eating weaned/small adult mice.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Ok, I'm still learning a bit regarding prey size with my growing hognose, but that sounds about right to me. Are they mice still leaving any noticeable lump after your snake eats?
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 02-03-2018 at 07:23 AM.