Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,398

2 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Ball Python bit without striking first

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenwdwrd View Post
    So just tried to take him out to feed him and he bit me almost immediately -_- I'm afraid the taste of human blood has turned my friendly little guy to a meanie

Even made sure to clean my hands up to my elbows
    He is not mean. He thinks you are into BDSM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Am I the only one who sometimes wishes I could play with my snakes the way we play with dogs, cats, ferrets, etc... just some gentle rough housing and a few play bites?? Maybe a little tug-of-war, chase the toy, etc...Hahaha!!
    I said that to my girlfriend a while back and she looked at me like I had 7 heads!!
    Maybe it is just me??
    This.

Thanks

Hahahaha, that’s exactly how my little scrub first bit me! At the store in the first 20 seconds of holding him. I thought he just wanted a snuggle He still loves to rub his face into my skin and if he does it too hard, his teeth prick me. Don’t think it’s intentional; he just likes face hugs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    What exactly happened? Why would you be taking him out to feed him? This is the snake you've had foe 2 years if i remember correctly...where was the food compared to you and the snake?

I feed him in a separate container to avoid him associating me with feeding time. I was putting him in his feeding tank and he was mostly in but clinging onto the edge. I went to pick his tail up to get him all the way in and he bit me and let go. I did jerk away a bit but hopefully he let go cause he realized it was me and not a rat. I'm just gonna get some gloves to avoid this in the future until I'm sure he's not gonna bite me. I work in the service industry and my hands can't have open wounds all the time or I wouldn't care so much. My feelings are hurt more than anything lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kathleenwdwrd For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I think it was because it was a separate enclosure lol. He now associated that with food and well...ya. Lol welcome to the bite club lol.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-09-2018),SMTHook (12-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Sorry your little guy turned on you, LOL! I wouldn't take it personally. At least he has a good feeding response! My female hasn't eaten in almost 5 months!

Having said all that, do you feed live or F/T?

Are you against feeding in the enclosure?

I feed all my snakes in the enclosure and have had zero issues. Well, had a (mistaken) feeding bite this past week from my BCI, but she was more upset it seemed than I was. I am now hook training her.

My corn is aggressive at feeding, as is my BCI (lol - see above), and my BP can be from time to time, but I still feed in the enclosure. I have heard of more stories where feeding outside led to trouble than the other way around.

Others can chime in, but I'd be interested to see what your responses are.

It could also be dumb luck that it happened twice in a couple of weeks. I am sure he doesn't hate you! Just a confused little guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I was adamant in the beginning to feed in a separate box. Deb set me straight. I feed both my babies in their tanks and have never been bitten or mistaken for food. I also have a routine set up with them. They know feeding day. They are both out and telling me it's time. They also know that I take them out, weigh them, and then feed after they go back into their enclosure. I also wash hands before taking them out and after I put them in so there Is no rat smell on my hands. Odyn is my chow snake and will keep eating if I let him, while booplesnoop will take her small rat and be satisfied.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I feed him in a separate container to avoid him associating me with feeding time. I was putting him in his feeding tank and he was mostly in but clinging onto the edge. I went to pick his tail up to get him all the way in and he bit me and let go. I did jerk away a bit but hopefully he let go cause he realized it was me and not a rat. I'm just gonna get some gloves to avoid this in the future until I'm sure he's not gonna bite me. I work in the service industry and my hands can't have open wounds all the time or I wouldn't care so much. My feelings are hurt more than anything lol.
    There is the problem. It's a misconception people have thats its good to feed snakes in a separate enclosure. For one moving a snake after they eat is bad, and for two now he tagged a heat source as soon as he was getting into the feeding tub.
    This is why people hook train or do things to condition the snake before picking them up so that they don't think it's feeding time. I rub my snakes with the hook or I just pick up the hide and rub them with the hide a little bit. When I'm feeding I put the Rat in front of the hide door and right away they know it's time to eat and strike from inside. One thing I wouldn't do is dangle my finger in front of the hide door because that would be a trigger for them.
    I would try feeding in the enclosure like everyone will mentioned, of course it's only a suggestion for ya.

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    There is the problem. It's a misconception people have thats its good to feed snakes in a separate enclosure. For one moving a snake after they eat is bad, and for two now he tagged a heat source as soon as he was getting into the feeding tub.
    This is why people hook train or do things to condition the snake before picking them up so that they don't think it's feeding time. I rub my snakes with the hook or I just pick up the hide and rub them with the hide a little bit. When I'm feeding I put the Rat in front of the hide door and right away they know it's time to eat and strike from inside. One thing I wouldn't do is dangle my finger in front of the hide door because that would be a trigger for them.
    I would try feeding in the enclosure like everyone will mentioned, of course it's only a suggestion for ya.

+1 and I also feed live, they will eat 100% of the time if it's live. I let the fella go in front of my beeps hide and it's usually pretty quick right after that.
    Leopold 1.0 Banana Ball Python
    Vaida 0.1 Super Mojave Ball Python
    Francis 1.0 Banana California Kingsnake
    Winston 1.0 Flame Crested Gecko
    BamBam 0.0.1 Chocolate Albino Leopard Gecko
    & Turtle, Frostbite, Thor, Loki, Oskhar, and Abby

11. The Following User Says Thank You to krampvs For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Sorry your little guy turned on you, LOL! I wouldn't take it personally. At least he has a good feeding response! My female hasn't eaten in almost 5 months!

Having said all that, do you feed live or F/T?

Are you against feeding in the enclosure?

I feed all my snakes in the enclosure and have had zero issues. Well, had a (mistaken) feeding bite this past week from my BCI, but she was more upset it seemed than I was. I am now hook training her.

My corn is aggressive at feeding, as is my BCI (lol - see above), and my BP can be from time to time, but I still feed in the enclosure. I have heard of more stories where feeding outside led to trouble than the other way around.

Others can chime in, but I'd be interested to see what your responses are.

It could also be dumb luck that it happened twice in a couple of weeks. I am sure he doesn't hate you! Just a confused little guy.

I feed him F/T or fresh killed. I am going to try feeding from his enclosure from now on, makes it easier for us all lol.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kathleenwdwrd For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-10-2018),dakski (02-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I feed him F/T or fresh killed. I am going to try feeding from his enclosure from now on, makes it easier for us all lol.
    Cool. I feed all my snakes F/T. Better for all involved in my opinion.

I think the switch to feeding in the enclosure will be pretty easy.

Just make sure you have a nice set of hemostats/tongs, etc. to hold the rat!

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I also feed all my snakes (nocturnal - BP, BCI, and Corn) at night in near darkness. I only handle with lights on in room and/or tank.

My corn and BP don't even think food unless it's nighttime and the lights are out, but then, especially with the corn, watch out!

Behira, my BCI, has a real strong feeding response, and has only been with me for a few months, so we will see how that will work with her. However, even my corn, got conditioned pretty quick and has never mistaken me for food.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast