Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

1 members and 2,929 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: The Kaiju thread - CB17 female Pearl Burmese Python

Quote Originally Posted by Valaryan View Post
    Ha ha I can imagine those bites being no joke. How old are your burms now and how often do you think these guys feed in the wild?
    In the wild Id have no Idea how often they feed.. I assume whenever they have the opportunity. They don't mind eating a little extra... All the reading and Video's ive seen on wild Burms show them taking down big prey as adults so they might go months after that. My Burms are Old, 20 and 24. Some pics are in my Profile Album. They start 20 years ago on Film so they're not that great. My Albino I just donated 5/6 months ago to our Local Zoo here in NY. As much as Ive had my eyes on all these Hatchlings (and my friend has been breeding too) I Cant help but feel so many wont have homes someday when they are 15'-20'. I dont think the 18/24 yr old Kids that are buying them understand what its like to have a Snake that large and have a Family and other responsibilities too. Its not the money, its the time, space, secure room and all you need to have. It becomes a lot once you have a couple kids, wife, dogs etc....
    Here is a Pic of my buddy Matt with his 18ft girl. He fed her like nuts because he breeds his feeders so she grew like this within a few years. He has a Youtube page if you want to check him out. He has two 5/6 month olds and 4 adults.... Not to mention the 16 Retics.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Yeah I know Drthik and Cornflake ha ha, he's got great content on YouTube. I also like his Retics Zulu and Moses.

I know what you mean about people not taking things seriously with the giants. On YouTube you see thousands of Retics being hatched each year by the big breeders. I cant help wonder what happens to them all?

I weighed things up for a long time and planned ahead. That's why she's my only snake because I know she's going to be a behemoth.
    Last edited by Valyrian; 02-01-2018 at 08:17 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-01-2018)

Thanks

The Kaiju thread - CB17 female Pearl Burmese Python

Yeah I know Drthik and Cornflake ha ha, he's got great content on YouTube. I also like his Retics Zulu and Moses.

I know what you mean about people not taking things seriously with the giants. On YouTube you see thousands of Retics being hatched each year by the big breeders. I cant help wonder what happens to them all?

I weighed things up for a long time and planned ahead. That's why she's my only snake because I know she's going to be a behemoth.
    Yup thats him.. & and Im really referring to the kids (18-24) At least kids to me hahahaha.
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 02-01-2018 at 08:57 AM.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Ha ha trust me I'm starting to feel that way too, age just creeps up on you man.

I'm entertaining the idea of getting another Burm in a few years but that's a long way off and dependent on circumstances. Everyone's crazy for morphs but I think a big wild type is awesome too.

Retics look great as well but I have to be realistic and see what happens with space and time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    Ok guys, got a quick update. I hit the reptile and hardware stores today for a few enclosure supplies

Everything's wired up and sealed with aquarium grade sealant. I'm gonna give the sealant a week to cure (label says 48 hours but I'd rather wait longer). Then I'm gonna add decor and run temps for a week just to make sure everything's on point and I don't fry my snake.

Over here in the UK one of the best thermostats is the Microclimate Evo so I picked one of them up too. I guess it's kind of our version of the Herpstat. You can set multiple temperature changes throughout the day and control lights and foggers etc.

I'll add another update once the sealant has cured and I've added decor
    Last edited by Valyrian; 02-02-2018 at 11:19 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-10-2018)

Thanks
    So this girl shed a few days ago and damn near took a rat's head off lol. I bathed her tonight and still no poop. She's acting chill and healthy though.

I've also set her up in her 4 x 2 viv after spending a week calibrating the temps. After researching I opted not to have a night time drop as the thermal gradient will allow her to thermo regulate anyway. White Python LEDs are on a 12 hour cycle and dimmed down a tad as they're really powerful.

The stat is set to 30C / 86F, however I've measured the areas below with a temp gun and set the stat to achieve them in-line with my research:

35C / 95F on top of the warm hide
    27C / 80.6F inside the warm hide
    24C / 75.2F on the cool side
    24C / 75.2F inside the cool hide

I have a couple of questions though. The CHE guard is 45C / 113F at it's hottest point but I can touch it. And the ambient relative humidity is reading 96%. The humidity level is due to the 2.5 litres of water I've provided for her to bathe in / drink but the enclosure is not 'wet' this is the air level only. Ive read that Burms can tolerate high humidity as long as the cage isn't wet but in your opinion are these two numbers too high?

0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

Stearns84 (02-09-2018)

Thanks

So this girl shed a few days ago and damn near took a rat's head off lol. I bathed her tonight and still no poop. She's acting chill and healthy though.

I've also set her up in her 4 x 2 viv after spending a week calibrating the temps. After researching I opted not to have a night time drop as the thermal gradient will allow her to thermo regulate anyway. White Python LEDs are on a 12 hour cycle and dimmed down a tad as they're really powerful.

The stat is set to 30C / 86F, however I've measured the areas below with a temp gun and set the stat to achieve them in-line with my research:

I have a couple of questions though. The CHE guard is 45C / 113F at it's hottest point but I can touch it. And the ambient relative humidity is reading 96%. The humidity level is due to the 2.5 litres of water I've provided for her to bathe in / drink but the enclosure is not 'wet' this is the air level only. Ive read that Burms can tolerate high humidity as long as the cage isn't wet but in your opinion are these two numbers too high?

That thermometer

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Tina - 0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    Gene - 1.0 Platinum Dwarf Retic

Thanks

Looks Great Bro
    As far as a couple things you asked opions on.
    96% is way above what you want and will cause health issues. 60% is perfect.
    I use large 5 quart bowls but i cant remember your Sq Ft of your enclosure. Mine are 4'x2'x2' and 8'x30"x36". Im thinking the fact that you use the wood substrate has raised the humidity as i always use Kraft Paper, or it isn't measuring correctly? 96% would fog the glass at least mine does over 75%.
    You may decide to switch over in the future to Paper as she grows... the piss mine let out as adults would be so much it ruined all that substrate anyways lol.
    The other thing i wanted to mention was the Top of the hide temp. I think you'll find as i have if the Hide Top is 95 the snake will also end up close to 95 because their body absorbs it like Radiant heat. I had my thermometer probe on the floor inside the hide and it would reach the temp i had my Tstat set to, 91F, However the Top of my hide from my RHP panel was 94F (because its closer to the heating element) so I then started to use a Laser against my snakes body (not from a distance right against it) and she matched the Top of the Hide temp not the Floor temp. Thats something to think about and test for yourself. The way to make sure your getting the best reading is when you have left the enclosure closed for a full 24 hrs and its regulated, also check it during the day when its warmest as every enclosure has drafts or leaks heat and night time temp drops can effect this reading. You really want to know the Hottest temp so you can adjust it accordingly. In my experience, both my Burms preferred 86-88max Hot and 76min cool.
    With this said I love the setup, its really looks Hot Great Job !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

PS: where is the Probe for the Thermometer that has the Humidity? I think I see it on the Left side. If its next to the water you'll get a false reading, or if its near the ground they can read water dripped if the snake was swimming. Make sure the probe is in a place it cant get messed with or splashed etc...

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    PS: where is the Probe for the Thermometer that has the Humidity? I think I see it on the Left side. If its next to the water you'll get a false reading, or if its near the ground they can read water dripped if the snake was swimming. Make sure the probe is in a place it cant get messed with or splashed etc...

Cheers mate. I actually made some changes since testing more. I moved the thermometer probe so it's hanging dead centre high in the middle of the enclosure. I also moved the exo terra warm hide to the back as they're really good at absorbing heat and it was reaching 40C under the heater which is too high imo.

The basking area is bare now and reaches 35C in the day with a drop to 30C at night to mimic the temp drop in nature. In this position the top of the warm hide reaches the same temps as the basking area directly below the heater. So she has the choice to bask on top of the hide partially hidden by plants or in the open (she's pretty confident being in the open). Or she can go in the hide which is a couple degrees cooler.

I dumped out half the water so its a shallow pool now. Humidity was down to 80% but went back up to 90% when i moved the warm hide. The substrate is 2 expanded eco earth bricks with bark and sphagnum moss scattered on top. The heater is drying the substrate out and some condensation has started to form however at this rate I believe the humidity will drop further as the sub dries out. And the heater seems to be doing this very quickly. Next time I'm going to buy the eco earth in the dry bag. When she's bigger I'll definitely use paper.

The good news is she pooped finally after eating four rats in the weeks since the last time so the setup is doing her good.

0.1 CB17 Pearl Burmese Python - Kaiju

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast