Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

2 members and 2,856 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Ball Python Setup

Hello! I am new to keeping reptiles and while I have read most of the sticky posts regarding ball pythons and their habitats, I would really appreciate some more advanced eyes double checking my setup

This is my pastel ball python Fran, I got her on Sunday and will try to feed her this Sunday. From Sunday- Tuesday, I had her in a plastic tub setup with hides, water, and a UTH. However, I wanted to be able to see her more and be able to more closely monitor her temperature and humidity, so I switched her into this setup. She has mostly been staying in her hot hide, which I've read is normal behavior for the first few days?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Her current setup is as follows:

20 gallon long tank
    20 gallon UTH with thermostat
    100 watt CHE over hot side
    Forest floor substrate
    2 hides, one hot and one cold
    One large water dish
    Decorations (fake plants, large grapevine wood thing)
    Screen top with clips, and a piece of plexiglass over about 3/4 of the top to avoid problems with humidity
    thermo-hygrometer on hot side of tank to monitor humidity

Here are some pics of the setup:
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Does this setup look acceptable? To monitor temperature I have been using a temp gun to take the temperature several times a day, and have been misting the tank a few times a day to keep the humidity up because of the CHE. Also, you can't see her hot hide here, but it's on the left behind her log. Thanks for any input/ tips/ suggestions!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of snake-keeping!!! i like your username.

your setup looks very ACCEPTABLE (Lemongrab voice)!!! only question i have is about the hides: are they identical? that's kind of a thing with ball pythons, as they will sacrifice thermoregulation for security. if they don't find one of the hides acceptable, they will likely never use it.

also, i would cover the back and sides with dark paper or a dark fabric so it feels nice and cozy without all that exposed area around him. beeps like their security!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

ent (01-31-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome, and congrats on your first snake!!

Setup looks good to me.
    I would also cover the sides and back, like tttaylorrr said. Proper husbandry and security are the most important start to raising a healthy BP.
    Your husbandry seems good so far, so just a little more security and you're off to a great start.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ent (01-31-2018)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Setup

Thanks guys! His hides are identical and I'll definitely cover the back and sides, thanks for the suggestion!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Congrats on your new snake. It looks like it is a baby bp?

I just wanted to add that if you have trouble feeding your bp this week and next week, I would suggest going back to the tub set up. I had my baby bp for almost 3 weeks in a 10 gallon and everything all set up for him... But he refused to eat and was very insecure. Once I switched him over using the Deborah's method of the 6 qt tub, one week later, he ate his first meal within minutes!

Moss helps with humidity plus misting. CHE heaters are known to dry out the tank so keep an eye on the humidity level. It should be on average 50-60% and higher if shedding.

Babies can be skittish and I find some baby bps are scaredy cats, like mine The smaller and crowded the space, the better until it grows older and more settled down. Yours may not fall in this category as some do eat well even in a large tank. If that is the case, I envy you. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    Congrats on your new snake. It looks like it is a baby bp?

I just wanted to add that if you have trouble feeding your bp this week and next week, I would suggest going back to the tub set up. I had my baby bp for almost 3 weeks in a 10 gallon and everything all set up for him... But he refused to eat and was very insecure. Once I switched him over using the Deborah's method of the 6 qt tub, one week later, he ate his first meal within minutes!

Moss helps with humidity plus misting. CHE heaters are known to dry out the tank so keep an eye on the humidity level. It should be on average 50-60% and higher if shedding.

Babies can be skittish and I find some baby bps are scaredy cats, like mine The smaller and crowded the space, the better until it grows older and more settled down. Yours may not fall in this category as some do eat well even in a large tank. If that is the case, I envy you. Good luck and enjoy!

Thank you for letting me know! I have the tub as well, so if she has trouble eating I'll switch her over. I'm not sure how old she is-- maybe 2 or 3 months?

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Ball Python Setup

I cant see the pics for some reason but if I'm reading correctly you have your CHE over the top of where your UTH is providing a hotspot?
    The UTH will provide the Hot Hide basking temp so I would put the CHE over the Cool Side Hide to provide the 80° ambient cool hide. Everything else sounds good. Welcome to the Forum.
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-31-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)