Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,292

1 members and 3,291 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Can blood mites be caused by feeding live mice/rats?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed somewhere before, but I can't find this.

Can blood mites be caused by feeding live mice/rats?

Today I was at the pet store to buy a rat and the owner told me that rats do not carry this mites.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Can blood mites be caused by feeding live mice/rats?

I am not sure what you mean by blood mites. Mites that live in a snake's blood stream? Mites that live on a snake's skin and suck blood?

If you are thinking about the snake mite, Ophionyssus natricis, there is a good paper at http://vpi.com/publications/the_life...of_snake_mites.

Snake mites live on a wide variety of snakes and lizards. They do not suck mammal blood. The most common way for a clean reptile to be infested with snake mites is for an infested reptile to be put in a room with the clean reptile. The mites walk out of the the infested animal's cage, find the clean animal's cage, and climb aboard.

Hope that helps.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Are there reptiles at that store? It's possible that they piggy-backed home on your clothes or something.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Are there reptiles at that store? It's possible that they piggy-backed home on your clothes or something.
    Yes there are reptiles at that store and the store doesn't seem very clean as well. Cages are small and packed and close to each other and I don't think they take very good care of the animals (there are people who agree with me in google reviews). Also, when you ask for a feeder rat they go to the back of the store, to a place the customers can't see and get one there, but if I see the rest of the store that place in the back can't be any good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by blood mites. Mites that live in a snake's blood stream? Mites that live on a snake's skin and suck blood?

If you are thinking about the snake mite, Ophionyssus natricis, there is a good paper at http://vpi.com/publications/the_life...of_snake_mites.

Snake mites live on a wide variety of snakes and lizards. They do not suck mammal blood. The most common way for a clean reptile to be infested with snake mites is for an infested reptile to be put in a room with the clean reptile. The mites walk out of the the infested animal's cage, find the clean animal's cage, and climb aboard.

Hope that helps.
    So basically, rodents can serve as a temporary host.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Yes there are reptiles at that store and the store doesn't seem very clean as well. Cages are small and packed and close to each other and I don't think they take very good care of the animals (there are people who agree with me in google reviews). Also, when you ask for a feeder rat they go to the back of the store, to a place the customers can't see and get one there, but if I see the rest of the store that place in the back can't be any good.

I would stop elsewhere then, if I were in your shoes at least.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes and no

Mites are species specific, snake mites are different than mites found on rodent.......however a snake mite can hitch a ride on a rodent.

Let's say you have a snake that has mite, you offer food, the snake does not eat, you remove the rodent and offer it to another snake that is mite free well now you have another snake with mites.

That's why strict quarantine is a must so is buying feeder from a reputable source.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-31-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Mites are like fleas, they can hop a ride on almost anything if the infestation is big enough. I had a wonderful ordeal of this about 6 years ago after going to a repticon.

Not sure what a blood mite is however
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'