Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,793

2 members and 3,791 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

hognose feeding problems

i know its late and nobody will see this til tomorrow but im having trouble getting my hoggy to eat. coming up on having her for three weeks on tuesday and she still hasnt eaten. i did handle her the first few days (stupid i know) but havent handled her at all since except to weigh her and clean out her tub cause she shed. ive tried tongs and just leaving the pinky in the tub overnight. i try every 3-5 days to feed her. last wednesday was the first time she showed interest, shed coil around it and at one point i even saw her try to “nibble” on it from the side. today she just laid with it and around it not moving at all unless i came to the tub then she came to me. she weighs 10 grams and was hatched july 2017, she hasnt lost any weight since i got her. any suggestions on what i should do? when i should start worrying? when i should start scenting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: hognose feeding problems

hoping to get input from @Deborah on this

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have not done so yet put her in a 2.7 quarts tub, aspen bedding temps of 80 Cool - 90 Hot, once you made that transition give it 5 days (every 3 days for an animal that actually does not eat is counter productive), during that time NO HANDLING.

Offer the food by leaving it overnight on the tub's floor (simply push the bedding on the sides and place it in the middle).

It can take a while before adjusting to that new environment so your hognose may or may not eat, and the question will be do you keep waiting or do you start scenting.

Because hognose are so small and can go down the hill fast is the behaviour persist at that size I always recommend to scent, even if that is a step backward, however it's only a temporary step backward.

So if it fails next time 5 days later try one of the following

Hard boil egg (you can even offer small pieces of eggs see how that goes)

Vienna Sausage

Tuna

Chicken

Salmon

Anchovies

Frog

Every year as a breeder I have a few that need to eat on scented and I have always been very successful with hardboil eggs, I crush one place it in a baggy put the pinky in the baggy make sure the scent goes all over and then offer the pinky (I keep the baggy the hard boiled egg in the freezer)

If that does not work people have been very successful with reptilinks (they have mini links) which are expensive but while you can feed your snake with those for a while you can also wean them of those toward traditional preys like mice by using their scents after a few successful feeding.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    If you have not done so yet put her in a 2.7 quarts tub, aspen bedding temps of 80 Cool - 90 Hot, once you made that transition give it 5 days (every 3 days for an animal that actually does not eat is counter productive), during that time NO HANDLING.

Offer the food by leaving it overnight on the tub's floor (simply push the bedding on the sides and place it in the middle).

It can take a while before adjusting to that new environment so your hognose may or may not eat, and the question will be do you keep waiting or do you start scenting.

Because hognose are so small and can go down the hill fast is the behaviour persist at that size I always recommend to scent, even if that is a step backward, however it's only a temporary step backward.

So if it fails next time 5 days later try one of the following

Hard boil egg (you can even offer small pieces of eggs see how that goes)

Vienna Sausage

Tuna

Chicken

Salmon

Anchovies

Frog

Every year as a breeder I have a few that need to eat on scented and I have always been very successful with hardboil eggs, I crush one place it in a baggy put the pinky in the baggy make sure the scent goes all over and then offer the pinky (I keep the baggy the hard boiled egg in the freezer)

If that does not work people have been very successful with reptilinks (they have mini links) which are expensive but while you can feed your snake with those for a while you can also wean them of those toward traditional preys like mice by using their scents after a few successful feeding.
    i have the 2.7 set up. the humidity is high at 44-50% cause i dont have holes in it. i have the temps all set up, was wondering if itd be okay for her to be in there until my dad gets home (5-6 hours) with a drill battery?

Thanks

the humidity is now up to 60% geez

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    Wait until you can drill holes to move her. You'll have to handle more if you move her now.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No need to move her in and move her back out to drill holes and move her back in again, simply wait until the tub is completely setup, holes can either be drilled or melted with a soldering iron (second is best as it does not crack the plastic.)
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Wait until you can drill holes to move her. You'll have to handle more if you move her now.
    i figured that as much, i havent moved her.

No need to move her in and move her back out to drill holes and move her back in again, simply wait until the tub is completely setup, holes can either be drilled or melted with a soldering iron (second is best as it does not crack the plastic.)
    i plan on buying a soldering iron within a month or so, a drill is all i got though for now.

Thanks

i just drilled 46 holes in the tub, turned the ceiling fan on to circulate more are hopefully but right now the humidity is at 50% and rising, temps are perfect though. 89-91 on the heat mat, 78-80 on the cool side and 78-80 ambient

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    i just drilled 46 holes in the tub, turned the ceiling fan on to circulate more are hopefully but right now the humidity is at 50% and rising, temps are perfect though. 89-91 on the heat mat, 78-80 on the cool side and 78-80 ambient

humidity is now up to 60%