Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,805

0 members and 2,805 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Enclosure for Boa

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    So after I moved the water bowl to the middle the humidity went up to 99% and the glass is all foggy lmao, what now? Aww I can't wait to get him a better enclosure!
    I imagine the water dish is right under the CHE?

I would tell you to move the CHE, but if you are just getting temps dialed in, probably not the best idea.

Also, not much room to move stuff around with a 20G.

You can a) put in a smaller water dish and move away from the CHE, B) uncover part of the top of the tank (assuming you covered with foil as you said were going to), or A and B.

Thanks
    Edited* I don't have a smaller dish at the moment but I took off the foil and put the hand towel on covering the warm side and it looks like its about 77% but I think it's climbing back up.
    Last edited by svtvenom; 02-01-2018 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    Ok so I think the temps are finally where they should be. I'll keep an eye on the humidity. I have the dimmer on full output right now and it seems to be working.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Looks good. I wouldnt worry about downsizing the water bowl. Just give the cage more airflow by doing what you did and uncover the top a little. You can uncover a little bit of the warm side and the cool side. That will give you an air current per say. The cool air from the cool side will settle into the cage, move across the floor and the warm side will raise the air up and out. Play around with the CHE placement until you get a nice temp gradient of 86-88 on the hot side and 77-79 on the cool side. In a 20 gallon tank, that might be a bit hard but it can be done.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

My error .. presumed it was a Royal .. .. Boas will soak ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    My error .. presumed it was a Royal .. .. Boas will soak ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Tell that to my boas. They never soak unless i physically put them into their tubs with water. And i only do that when one of them decides it was a good idea to body paint their cage with a turd or urate overnight before i can get it out. Caesar though does like to sit in his tub and get paper towel rub downs...such a spoiled snake....
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Ok so I decided to go to Petsmart and see if they had the CHE and they did. Online it said it wasn't available in the store. So I got the 60watt CHE and the fixture. I also have a stand from when I had my Bearded Dragon years ago. This is how I set it up. Should I put the bulb over the middle or cool end? Should I put it closer to the the screen? I just turned it on so I'm waiting to see what temp it brings it to. I know the humidity is low. As soon as I take off the towel on drop it drops. I'm going to try using foil.

Thats a 20gal tank so that 60 watt CHE isnt going to cook the tank at all so dont worry. Unless your house/room is over 72° let it rip on the cool side.. I put mine on the screen of my quarantine tank without the Dimmer because if you need to you just raise the CHE higher to decrease the heat. As long as you cover a good part of that tank with Tin Foil and a hand towel you should get 76-80 on the cool side. (Keep the towel a inch away from the CHE)
    Looks like your getting things dialed in
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

So after I moved the water bowl to the middle the humidity went up to 99% and the glass is all foggy lmao, what now? Aww I can't wait to get him a better enclosure!
    Less water equals less humidity. Also im joining the Convo late ao excuse me if im wrong but if your CHE is above the water the Humidity also goes up higher...
    Is that a 20 gal Long or a 20 gal fish tank?
    Looks small for some reason.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    It's a 20 gal Long, it might be the angle that I took the pic lol. Ok I'll continue to work with it and let you guys know. Thank you so much for all your help! I do have an off-topic question. I sometimes hold my snake on my bed and my Great Dane sleeps next to me do you think my snake would attempt to bite him?
    Last edited by svtvenom; 02-01-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

It's a 20 gal Long, it might be the angle that I took the pic lol. Ok I'll continue to work with it and let you guys know. Thank you so much for all your help! I do have an off-topic question. I sometimes hold my snake on my bed and my Great Dane sleeps next to me do you think my snake would attempt to bite him?
    I doubt your BCI would go after a Great Dane any more than he would go after you!

My dogs (I have 5), are curious about the snakes, and vice versa, but I have never had an incident. The littlest guy is a 10 pound morkie, and he adores the snakes. He guards them and sits with them while I, or my fiancé, hold them.

I wouldn't leave a huge snake alone with anything they could eat - like a 10 pound dog - but a BCI at 15-20 pounds (large female) wouldn't eat something half it's weight. Besides, you have a great dane and a male BCI. NO WAY a food bite should ever happen.

Additionally, my snakes now know the dogs smell, and my smell, etc. Even though they might sense heat, they don't think food. Rats = food. Not dog. Not human. Once holding the snakes, they do not generally think of food either. I wouldn't ask my dog(s) to stick their head(s) into the snake tank when they expect food, the same I wouldn't do that.

I'll see if I can find a picture of my dogs near the snakes, but either way, I would not worry about your great dane.

I would be worried about your great dane hurting your BCI. The great dane might get jealous or defensive, or even want to play. That could be trouble.

In summary. BCI threat to great dane? Probably not. Great dane a threat to BCI - definitely could be!

Use common sense when they are together. My dogs are totally chill and just want to nuzzle or be near the snakes, mostly because they are with me. My snakes do not feel threatened and do not think of food when near them. So it's all good.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-02-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast