Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,267

4 members and 1,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Ok I took the temps with the gun almost touching the substrate. I wrote on the pic below the temps that I got. It seems to be 75 on the log but in the front against the glass it is like 73ish And of course he's in the water bowl.. his new favorite place after I made him discover water lol.

Will I have to keep a CHE when I get a cage like the Animal Plastics one? or would just a UTH be enough?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Enclosure for Boa

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    Ok I took the temps with the gun almost touching the substrate. I wrote on the pic below the temps that I got. It seems to be 75 on the log but in the front against the glass it is like 73ish And of course he's in the water bowl.. his new favorite place after I made him discover water lol.

Will I have to keep a CHE when I get a cage like the Animal Plastics one? or would just a UTH be enough?

Better, but still not there. 88 is fine on the hot side. You might want to consider moving his water dish closer to the middle or the cooler side. Make sure he can get his entire body on the hot spot - 88F. If it's only that little section on the top left, it's probably not enough. How big is the UTH? Is the water bowl over it?

77F in the middle is minimum.

75 and 73 are too low.

Increase power to CHE via dimmer and/or move closer to tank.

If you get an AP tank, etc. (I have Boaphile tanks), and your room is under 75-78F, then a UTH will not be enough. You will also need a radiant heat panel (RHP) and a UTH for belly heat and probably a UTH for the cool side, depending on the size of the tank.

My 6X2X1' enclosure has an RHP and Flexwatt heat tape (like a UTH) on the left side (hot side) on one thermostat for both. It's 87-91 on the left side, averaging about 88, about 81F ambient, and the cool side has a smaller flexwatt and a separate thermostat for that side. It maintains 78-80F.

The better enclosed the tank, the better heat stays in and humidity stays in. Getting a good tank with good thermostats and proper heating elements built in is ideal. You will spend less on electricity and temps will be much easier to regulate.

I went with Boaphile Plastics because a) Jeff Ronne put up with about 100 calls from me asking questions about all my animals needs (I had never had an all inclusive setup before - I had different tanks with different makeshift heating elements, etc.) and I love the tanks and b) he breeds boas, so he knows well what they will need.

AP may be the same way, I have no idea, but you want someone who will answer questions and help you design a proper setup that is probably overkill. My RHP and UTH on the hot side barely run to maintain proper temps in the summer, and a little harder in the winter, but I would rather have them barely run, then one run all the time and not be enough.

Finally, you can be a few inches from the substrate, but by 2-3 FT, or through a screen for sure, the reading will likely be off.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-01-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Temps look tolerable but like mentioned, i would try and bump the CHE up some.

Also the snake might be sitting in the water bowl because you have no hides on the warm side. The water bowl is the only 'safe' spot in the snakes mind on the warm side of the cage, yet the water is cool.

I would throw the half log out as imo those things suck and just use a couple small plastic hides or even cardboard boxes as snakes seem to have a thing for cardboard lol. Take a cereal box and cut it in half sideways from left to right so you have 2 squares pretty much. Then put one on the warm side and one on the cool side. They will work until the snake pisses on them. And put the water bowl in the middle. That should give enough to fit the 2 box halves in. But i would try and find a couple small plastic one door hides for the snake.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

As above , swap the open ended log thing for two identical hides , one in warm side , one on cool side . I'd get a much smaller water dish and put it in a corner somewhere . Royals / Balls rarely soak . Yours was simply trying to get warm I suspect ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Temps look tolerable but like mentioned, i would try and bump the CHE up some.

Also the snake might be sitting in the water bowl because you have no hides on the warm side. The water bowl is the only 'safe' spot in the snakes mind on the warm side of the cage, yet the water is cool.

I would throw the half log out as imo those things suck and just use a couple small plastic hides or even cardboard boxes as snakes seem to have a thing for cardboard lol. Take a cereal box and cut it in half sideways from left to right so you have 2 squares pretty much. Then put one on the warm side and one on the cool side. They will work until the snake pisses on them. And put the water bowl in the middle. That should give enough to fit the 2 box halves in. But i would try and find a couple small plastic one door hides for the snake.

A real good point here about hides. One on each side.

Also, if the UTH is under the water bowl it might not be allowing all the heat to get to the surface/Boa. I think I made this point earlier, but wanted to repeat.

Hope the temps are coming up.

Thanks

Ok here's an updated pic. Does this look good? I will order some plastic hides soon. How big should the water bowl be? I turned up the dimmer a little so we will see what its at in like an hour

8. The Following User Says Thank You to svtvenom For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    I'll definitely be getting a AP or Boaphile cage as soon as my bank account recovers lol

Thanks

Ok here's an updated pic. Does this look good? I will order some plastic hides soon. How big should the water bowl be? I turned up the dimmer a little so we will see what its at in like an hour

Better arrangement, but long-term - you will want better hides, as you said. More sealed. Ask if you don't know where to get them.

Water bowl is okay size. Could be a little smaller if you want to give him more room to stretch. However, that could alter humidity too.

Let us know about temps.

Nice work and keep working at it. You'll get there.
    Last edited by dakski; 02-01-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks

I'll definitely be getting a AP or Boaphile cage as soon as my bank account recovers lol
    LOL. I hear you. Save up and do it right! Don't do it half way or in steps, especially if money is tight.

My girl moved into her forever home and is doing great, even at 700G and 3+ FT. She has hides everywhere! So she feels secure.

Thanks
    So after I moved the water bowl to the middle the humidity went up to 99% and the glass is all foggy lmao, what now? Aww I can't wait to get him a better enclosure!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast