Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,117

0 members and 3,117 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Enclosure for Boa

Quote Originally Posted by svtvenom View Post
    So I put two black plastic hides that I recently ordered in my boas cage. Every time I put up the one on the warm side it’s dripping wet and the substrate under it is wet. It has helped the humidity in the cage but I’m sure this can’t be good for him if it’s that wet. What should I do?
    I have this issue with all my hides whenever i use fresh substrate if it isnt dry like aspen. I just wipe it out with a paper towel every couple days and eventually when the substrate dries out a little, the condensation inside the hides will quit forming.

Also there is nothing wrong with it being a little damp inside a hide. My boas used them still and if they didnt want to, they would wander off behind a hide.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I have this issue with all my hides whenever i use fresh substrate if it isnt dry like aspen. I just wipe it out with a paper towel every couple days and eventually when the substrate dries out a little, the condensation inside the hides will quit forming.

Also there is nothing wrong with it being a little damp inside a hide. My boas used them still and if they didnt want to, they would wander off behind a hide.
    Good point, a little condensation is ok. I was thinking wet hide, substrate, etc. Forgot enclosure humidity is being measured as well.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Actually, its opposite. Snakes usually grow larger in captivity because they are fed like clockwork more food than needed and live in optimal conditions with no need to exercise or actually 'hunt' for food. In the wild, boas can and do go months without food. They need to first find it and then actually catch it. Not to mention in the winter there, they go 3+ months with no food at all. This is why boas are opportunistic feeders and dont pass up meals unless they have been stuffed. They also arent fed the optimum size food either. In the wild, they cant be picky. So they might get lucky and get a nice big dinner or they might end up only catching a snack.

And i have never seen a 10 foot BCi ever. i have seen 8 foot ones but those are usually about 10-15 years old if properly fed. If over fed, they are usually dead within 5 years. Now BCC do get large, especially Peruvians which are the largest BCC and do get to 10 feet. But those snakes are very old. Rule of thumb i was told was that if you properly feed your boa, you can expect about 12 inches per year of growth for the first 3-4 years. Then it slows down dramatically.
    You are saying boas grow larger in captivity, and that you have never ever seen a 10 foot BCI, only 8 foot omnes.
    This is a 3,30 meters (11 feet) WILD BOA. This proves the opposite of all what you are saying. Read what the owner of the video wrote below the video in the introduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp8k6kHAUm0

In the wild they have the freedom to eat what they want when ever they want

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    You are saying boas grow larger in captivity, and that you have never ever seen a 10 foot BCI, only 8 foot omnes.
    This is a 3,30 meters (11 feet) WILD BOA. This proves the opposite of all what you are saying. Read what the owner of the video wrote below the video in the introduction

That is an extremely pissed off Boa! Hissing for like a minute straight.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    That is an extremely pissed off Boa! Hissing for like a minute straight.
    This is what the owner of the video wrote:"Appreciates this beautiful and intimidating animal, which was captured near the civilian population, was relocated and released in an area suitable for its development. 3.30mts and weighed more than 22kg."
    Pissed off because of the relocation i would guess. Needs time to accommodate to the new environment

Thanks
    Ok awesome. I will wipe them down. I ordered my AP T10 this past week. I can’t wait to get rid of this stupid glass cage lol.

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: Enclosure for Boa

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post

No comment from the member whom i referred to about this. Just saying

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

To be fair , you can't tell how long that Boa is .. looks more like a four foot one comparing it to the normal size of rocks you generally come across in the woods .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    To be fair , you can't tell how long that Boa is .. looks more like a four foot one comparing it to the normal size of rocks you generally come across in the woods .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Such a ridiculous claim! You are joking aren't you? I laughed when i read your above mentioned statement despite that it began with TO BE FAIR

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213