Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,808

2 members and 2,806 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My Snake is Unwell

Hi everyone,

I have been enjoying reading around the forum, but I apologise that my first post has to be like this.

I got my ball python mid-december, so about six weeks ago. Apparently he would be about 5.5-6 months old now.
    He has been feeding every week, a rat fuzzie, and he shed just fine just over a week or so ago. He has a lovely character, and seemed to settle in just fine.

However, I have made a mistake. The last feed was 6 days ago, last Sunday. I made an error of giving him an extra fuzzie, which he ate without hesitation. 2 days ago, he started to become slower, and seemed under the weather. He just wants to curl up, and goes underneath his newspaper. I am hoping beyond hope that it is just that he is putting his energy into digesting his meal and will be better.
    I have also seen him moving around his cage slowly, then moving his head as if deciding to go on a different direction quickly. He did that a bit last night. This is not like him at all.

I try to maintain the temperature at 28-30 degrees celsius on the hot side and 55%-65% humidity.
    I weighed him about a week ago, and he was only about 120 grams which I didn't understand how that was possible. He didn't look or act weak, and the fuzzie was a little smaller than the thickest point of his body.

I know I have made a big mistake with my feeding error. I will never ever do it again. I really am so very worried, and I know it's best just to try and leave him alone. I also moved his cage to my house before he changed behaviour, so there is the added stress of being moved.
    He had a good pee last night, and I really hope he goes to the toilet soon, because it will indicate he may get better.

Has anybody else made this error, or know another who has? I feel so foolish. I would never want to bring harm on any creature.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Don't beat yourself up. Your snake will be fine, that's not that crazy of an intake. Just give some extra time for digestion before handling.
    The target weight of your prey should be 10-15% of the snakes weight. But they CAN go much larger, granted that doesn't mean they should.
    Snakes don't have the luxury of weighing their prey items in nature, so if they CAN eat it, chances are they will.
    Worst case, it's too big and they regurgitate the prey item.

Try to breathe easy, your snake will be ok.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (01-27-2018),FractalVision (01-27-2018),tttaylorrr (01-27-2018),zina10 (01-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: My Snake is Unwell

I have always fed mine 2 a week. Your snake should be fine. Think of it like after thanksgiving dinner. Like posted before, wait a couple extra days before handling. Also, be prepared for poo times two

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c0r3yr0s3 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-27-2018),FractalVision (01-27-2018)

Thanks

Thank you both for the reassuring words.
    He is my first snake. I know I fed him double the weight he was supposed to have.
    I realise now that for the time that I've had him, I may have been handling him too much, mostly every night (but not for 2-3 days after feeding). He always seemed happy, but I think I will only hold him a couple times a week now. I've fallen in love with him.

When I held him yesterday just to change his wet substrate, I notice he is weaker than usual.. usually, his tail curls around my hand with strength, but now not so much.
    Right, I'm going to take your advice and quit worrying, because it doesn't serve any purpose. I'll just leave him to it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FractalVision For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-27-2018)

Thanks
    He will be fine... Before too long you will probably be wishing you could get him to even eat once a month... lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

FractalVision (01-28-2018)

Thanks
    Haha, yes I have heard about their infamous fasts and pickiness. I was actually feeling really lucky to see him eating so well, but I guess the tables can turn any time. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I disagree that your snake is fine. Your temps are too low. 28-30 Celsius on the hot side is barely warm enough. It should be closer to 32-33 celsius at the hottest spot for digestion, especially after a big meal like that. You never mentioned your ambient temps either. Your ambients temps should be 25-27 Celsius.

He is probably not digesting the big meal well, and feels sick from the low temperatures. What are you using to heat the cage?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-28-2018),FractalVision (01-28-2018),zina10 (01-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    of course, I could be totally wrong, we need more information on what you are using to control and to measure the temperatures.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-28-2018),FractalVision (01-28-2018),zina10 (01-27-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Godzilla has a very good point !

Normally, a double meal such as that wouldn't faze a young Ball Python. They will just curl up no the heat and be lazy for a little longer.
    While it shouldn't be done regularly, it shouldn't hurt this once.

BUT!!!! If you do not have the correct heat to help that snake out to digest this big meal properly and quickly enough, you can run into issues. You never want a meal to start rotting inside the belly, before it can be digested.

Is your heat the "ambient" (in the air) heat on the warm side ? Does he have an additional heat source under him, such as belly heat ?

If your temps are the ambient temps on the warm end, that wouldn't be so bad, but he really should have some belly heat around 90 Fahrenheit (32 degrees celsius) while digesting.

If your temps are the warmest (ambient and / or belly) that you have, you should bump them up a tad. Your snake is probably just fine. He is just FULL and doesn't feel much like moving. But to be on the safe side, get your heat up to where it should be
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (01-27-2018),CALM Pythons (01-27-2018),FractalVision (01-28-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I disagree that your snake is fine. Your temps are too low. 28-30 Celsius on the hot side is barely warm enough. It should be closer to 32-33 celsius at the hottest spot for digestion, especially after a big meal like that. You never mentioned your ambient temps either. Your ambients temps should be 25-27 Celsius.

He is probably not digesting the big meal well, and feels sick from the low temperatures. What are you using to heat the cage?
    I disagree just a little bit. That would be 82-86 Fahrenheit if I'm not mistaken. Most of the people I know that have Balls including myself say they use the Cool hide 90% of the time. His would be warmer than any cool hide at 82 to 86 as cool hides are usually 76-81.
    I do agree Godzilla that a Hot Basking hide should always be provided as mine have stayed in the Hot Hide for a couple days at a time so i do know they regulate themselves when needed..
    Considering the small amount fed (mine eat 2 appropriate rats twice a week for the first 4-5 months) I think the snake is most likely fine and the OP is worrying more than they need to.
    Like Godzilla said dial in your husbandry, up your Hot Hide temps a bit and Id let your snake be for a few days. Let us know how things are going in a few days.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (01-28-2018),FractalVision (01-28-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast