Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,486

0 members and 1,486 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin Progression

Quote Originally Posted by Pengil View Post
    Thanks, I'm hoping so too. He was last fed on the 2nd, and I plan to try to feed him Friday, so hopefully he'll be good and hungry by then. Did you have a tough time switching yours over to rats?

Oh! I found out his hatch date was 08/16/17! How close is that to your girl's?
    I fed her 3-4 times with f/t mice just to get her started and feeding for me. I then began thawing a f/t rat pup with the mice and letting it sit with the rat while coming up to room temp (i.e. put the mouse on top of it). This was done for 3-4 more feedings, then I thawed the rat pup in the same ziploc as the mouse, but did not do the scent-rubbing. I have offered her one un-mouse-scented weaned rat so far and she took it. I have not had a chance to do another feeding because she was in shed. I will be attempting again tomorrow.

I will have to go back and look at my communications with him to see what her hatch date was. I didn't put that info in my record book like I normally do. I will get back with you once I find it.

Mine is a total nut job. She is extremely skittish and if I've pulled her tub out, and she sees me across the room, she will start defense striking towards me I'm hoping she grows out of that lol.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-14-2018),Pengil (03-19-2018)

Thanks
    What a beauty, worth the wait in my opinion. I have a banana pinstripe named Nova and I gotta say, those two genes just belong together, and anything else in the combo is icing on the cake.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Pengil (03-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    I fed her 3-4 times with f/t mice just to get her started and feeding for me. I then began thawing a f/t rat pup with the mice and letting it sit with the rat while coming up to room temp (i.e. put the mouse on top of it). This was done for 3-4 more feedings, then I thawed the rat pup in the same ziploc as the mouse, but did not do the scent-rubbing. I have offered her one un-mouse-scented weaned rat so far and she took it. I have not had a chance to do another feeding because she was in shed. I will be attempting again tomorrow.

I will have to go back and look at my communications with him to see what her hatch date was. I didn't put that info in my record book like I normally do. I will get back with you once I find it.

Mine is a total nut job. She is extremely skittish and if I've pulled her tub out, and she sees me across the room, she will start defense striking towards me I'm hoping she grows out of that lol.
    Very interesting and helpful, thank you! I might have to change that process up slightly, since I don't have any other snakes to feed a thawed rat to, but I'm thinking of maybe feeding him mice a couple more times, then getting some rats and freezing them all together so their scent is somewhat mingled? I do also have a pet mouse, so no shortage of used bedding to thaw a rat in if need be. Good luck with tomorrow's feeding! I bet she'll be hungry now that she's shed.

Hahaha, maybe yours ended up with all the crazy. I haven't actually seen mine out and about since the third day after he came home. He was pretty curious, and came right up to the front of the tub, but I had my phone up to take a picture and my case is white, so maybe he was thinking it might be food? I peep under his hide every other day or so to make sure he's doing okay, and he just stays there and looks up at me like, "Do you require something? Am I dinner?" We'll see how he is once he gets more used to things and I can handle him.
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow Emperor Pin BP- Horatio
    0.1 Hypo Black Pewter Butter- Gin & Tonic (Ginny)
    1.0 Piebald Cat- Percival Henry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    What a beauty, worth the wait in my opinion. I have a banana pinstripe named Nova and I gotta say, those two genes just belong together, and anything else in the combo is icing on the cake.
    Thank you! He was totally worth it. It's pretty hard to beat a nice coral glow or banana pin, especially since they seem to age well and don't lose too much color, if any. Nova sounds lovely!

Thanks

Peeked into the tub when I woke up this morning and discovered that he had shed! The shed tip of his tail was sitting outside of the hide, and when I lifted the pot, found the rest, and a slightly bigger snake. Other than the end of his tail, it all seems to be in one piece, but for some reason his eyecaps haven't come off. It's weird- all of his head is there, but not the eyecaps, and not even any little holes where the eyecaps should be. His humidity has always been very good, but I think there were times when it was in the 60s and not the 70s, so maybe that contributed. I put a damp washcloth in his tub so that, if they bother him, he has something soft to rub his face on.

His hides are definitely pretty small for him now, more in height than in width, but I'm torn between trading them out soon or waiting until he's eaten a couple more times first. It's becoming the equivalent of a large bear trying to cram itself under a standard sized table.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-23-2018),MR Snakes (12-02-2018),Sonny1318 (05-11-2018)

Thanks

Tonight he struck his mouse!!!!
    It was all very convenient, because he was out of his hide cruising (which he's done intermittently since he's shed, probably hoping for food). Unfastioned the latches on his tub, warmed mouse, and offered it, but he was not too keen on having something near his face, so I had to warm it one more time. Held it in his general direction, and was thinking of just leaving it since he seemed a little frightened, and then WHAM!!! He had it slammed and constricted faster than I could see. Within a couple of minutes he was trying to chow down on it, so I've left him alone and will check on him in a small while.

Freshly shed snek is hungry snek.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-23-2018),MR Snakes (12-02-2018),Zincubus (03-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pengil View Post
    Tonight he struck his mouse!!!!
    It was all very convenient, because he was out of his hide cruising (which he's done intermittently since he's shed, probably hoping for food). Unfastioned the latches on his tub, warmed mouse, and offered it, but he was not too keen on having something near his face, so I had to warm it one more time. Held it in his general direction, and was thinking of just leaving it since he seemed a little frightened, and then WHAM!!! He had it slammed and constricted faster than I could see. Within a couple of minutes he was trying to chow down on it, so I've left him alone and will check on him in a small while.

Freshly shed snek is hungry snek.

Excellent !!

Sometime in the future , one evening,try offering the same way BUT wait until he's under a hide . All mine strike from under their hides now .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-02-2018),Pengil (04-03-2018)

Thanks

Some big things have been happening the past couple of weeks! Last week Horatio got his little flower platters replaced with bigger hides, which he took in stride after a small period of befuddlement. He no longer looks like an overstuffed clam in a shell.

He is quite a piglet, and seems happy to take his mouse any way he can get it. The bigger hides take up more space, so I kind of had to place it in front of his hide, and he struck seconds later with very little participation on my part. I hope he continues to eat this willingly!

Today was the first time I've handled him since I got him, and we both had some moments of awkwardness while he tried to figure out what was going on and I tried to figure out how to snake with my wee hands. Eventually we got it mostly figured out, and I got some nice shots. He was a very good boy, but was really pleased to go back in his tub. The scales on his neck seem pretty dull compared to the rest of him, so I'm wondering if he's already heading back into shed, but his eyes are as light as I've ever seen them.

Included is a top-down photo of his tub. The water dish goes in the compressed circle in the middle.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-02-2018)

Thanks

Checked his tub today, and noticed it smelled different than usual. Someone had left some nice, big, smelly presents under his warm hide. Cleaned the mess, and took the opportunity to weigh him while he's empty. I'm impressed by how much he's grown in about a month's time!

Still working on cleaning and deoderizing his warm hide, so at the moment he's, of course, sitting on that side of the tub, sulking while he waits.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pengil For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I love how bright he is.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Pengil (05-11-2018)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast