Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 688

0 members and 688 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Thoughts on communal housing?

I plan to pick up a VBB (O.t. callicyanous) when temps warm back up, but I'm wondering if I were to get a pair could I keep them together? It's nothing like I can't afford two setups or anything, I just think they'd be attractive as a pair on display. I'm going through all the reading and research I can find to learn proper husbandry, so of course I don't want to do anything that would be unsafe for the animals. Thoughts anyone? Any experiences, information, or tips you want to share are welcome as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python "Juju"
    1.0 Anerythystic Colombian Boa "Ludo"
    1.0 Amerlanistic Kinked Corn Snake "Oscar Pistorious"
    Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Thoughts on communal housing?

Quote Originally Posted by mamaodie View Post
    I plan to pick up a VBB (O.t. callicyanous) when temps warm back up, but I'm wondering if I were to get a pair could I keep them together? It's nothing like I can't afford two setups or anything, I just think they'd be attractive as a pair on display. I'm going through all the reading and research I can find to learn proper husbandry, so of course I don't want to do anything that would be unsafe for the animals. Thoughts anyone? Any experiences, information, or tips you want to share are welcome as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I would recommend against it. Blue beauty's (like pretty much all snakes) are not social and housing them together, unless in a very large setup, is ill advised. They get fairly large and it would be difficult to provide both with their own identical hot spots, hides, and personal space. Without this consideration, one snake is likely to suffer and stress to the benefit of the other.

I think you could get the same desirable aesthetic simply by housing them one on top of the other in a cage stack.

Thanks

Or go with side-by-side enclosures and put lots of plants on the adjacent walls (and maybe something on the outside) to camouflage that there’s no actual connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

If your enclosure for the adult snake(s) is large enough it should be no problem to house a pair of them together. I kept a male Orthriophis taeniurus frisei for 19 years, but I have no personal experience with Orthriophis taeniurus callicyanous or keeping them as pairs or groups. However, I keep a lot of my snakes in pairs or even groups and I had no problems doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Regius_049 View Post
    Blue beauty's (like pretty much all snakes) are not social and housing them together, unless in a very large setup, is ill advised. They get fairly large and it would be difficult to provide both with their own identical hot spots, hides, and personal space. Without this consideration, one snake is likely to suffer and stress to the benefit of the other.
    There are a lot of snakes living in groups or even communities in the wild (Malpolon and Psammophis show a real social behavior and a male will present his female a mouse during courtship, some rattlesnakes live in communities, garter snakes etc.). So most snakes don’t need another snakes company, but most don’t mind if there is enough room for them to keep their distance if they choose to do so.

You have to provide enough resting and hiding places for both snakes, with sufficient room that both snakes could use it. Feeding them might be a bit of a problem, since they have an enthusiastic feeding response. If the enclosure is big enough it should be manageable.

Here is a picture of my enclosure for my 1.2 tiger rat snakes (Spilotes pullatus) as an inspiration how it can be done. The enclosure is 250 x 90 x 190 cm (8 x 3 x 6 ft), the heating is done by four 70W Metal halide lamps, creating a vertical thermal gradient from ca 30°C /86°F under the lamps to ca 23°C / 73°F at the ground. The snakes can choose between resting places in the branches and on top of the cork tubes and in the cork tubes on the ground, in different temperature zones.

1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roman For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-09-2018),Godzilla78 (02-07-2018),Prognathodon (02-08-2018),Regius_049 (02-09-2018),Team Slytherin (02-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    If your enclosure for the adult snake(s) is large enough it should be no problem to house a pair of them together. I kept a male Orthriophis taeniurus frisei for 19 years, but I have no personal experience with Orthriophis taeniurus callicyanous or keeping them as pairs or groups. However, I keep a lot of my snakes in pairs or even groups and I had no problems doing it.

There are a lot of snakes living in groups or even communities in the wild (Malpolon and Psammophis show a real social behavior and a male will present his female a mouse during courtship, some rattlesnakes live in communities, garter snakes etc.). So most snakes don’t need another snakes company, but most don’t mind if there is enough room for them to keep their distance if they choose to do so.

You have to provide enough resting and hiding places for both snakes, with sufficient room that both snakes could use it. Feeding them might be a bit of a problem, since they have an enthusiastic feeding response. If the enclosure is big enough it should be manageable.

Here is a picture of my enclosure for my 1.2 tiger rat snakes (Spilotes pullatus) as an inspiration how it can be done. The enclosure is 250 x 90 x 190 cm (8 x 3 x 6 ft), the heating is done by four 70W Metal halide lamps, creating a vertical thermal gradient from ca 30°C /86°F under the lamps to ca 23°C / 73°F at the ground. The snakes can choose between resting places in the branches and on top of the cork tubes and in the cork tubes on the ground, in different temperature zones.

That enclosure is AWESOME!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Post Re: Thoughts on communal housing?

Oh wow talk about cage goals! Where did you get your awesome enclosure or did you build it yourself?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Oh wow talk about cage goals! Where did you get your awesome enclosure or did you build it yourself?
    The enclosure was built by a friend, he had a reptile shop and specialized in building enclosures, sadly it didn’t pay the bills in the end and he had to close his business.
    1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Roman For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (02-08-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Huh, I stand quasi-corrected. While my original point mainly stands, I was unaware there were this many social species.

Enclosure looks sick btw.
    Last edited by Regius_049; 02-09-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Thoughts on communal housing?

I kept four Garter snakes together a few years ago - one jet Black male and three Albino females with no issues . Feeding time was interesting ..

https://instagram.com/p/7ES9AzEjrG/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 02-09-2018 at 08:42 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Prognathodon (02-09-2018)