Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,399

1 members and 1,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Correct temp and rodent size

Hello! I saw this 2 year old California kingsnake and I just fell in love with him and had to buy him. He was an owner surrender but seemed very well tame and friendly. He has chocolate brown stripes on white.

Question 1: I have his heating set at about 83-84 F, as suggested by other caresheets. This forum dated on 2010 suggested 88-95 I think. Other sites suggested no higher than 80. Which is the correct temp? He is in a tub with a UTH and thermostat.

Question 2: the reptile store was feeding him f/t rat pinkies. That is the size they recommend. I think that is too small for him but I am thinking from a BP perspective... Kingsnakes do have smaller heads. What is the right size to feed?

Question 3: I saw a baby black and white California Kingsnake. The staff says they all will grow up with chocolate brown coloring and the black will fade. Is that true?

Question 4: I plan to keep him in a tub. I currently have him in a 32 qt temporarily. At what size tub is best for these snakes?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Welcome to the world of Kingsnake keeping!! I have an adult Cal King, Django, he's my favorite snake I've ever kept. I'm sure you'll love your new guy as well.

1) I keep my enclosure running 76-82 for cool/warm sides with a hot spot of 86. Never had any issues at all. He hardly uses his hot spot, eats, poops, sheds like a champ.

2) In order to answer this it depends on the size of the snake. My boy is pretty much done growing. He's a little over 4 feet, roughly 50" and weighs around 715 grams. He eats anything, any time. So I actually don't follow a very strict regimen with him. He usually eats 1 adult mouse every 7-10 days, but occasionally he'll get 2 and go 10-14 days. He also occasionally gets a small rat, somewhere in the 60 gram range which he takes no problem and will go 14 days before his next feeding.
    At your snake's age you basically want to go for leaving a noticable lump after eating, but not going much bigger than the snake's girth.
    These guys have a pretty intense feeding response, so make sure your tongs are long enough.

3) No, not true at all. Black and white Kings stay black and white.

4) I'm unfortunately not going to be any help, as I don't use tubs. Django was in a 40 breeder for a while and recently moved to a custom enclosure which is about 48"x24"x 24" and he uses every inch.

Good luck with your new King, enjoy!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

John1982 (01-27-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (01-27-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Temps are fine.

Now as far as feeding you want something equal the girth size (not the head) however I would recommend to feed appropriately sized mice and not rat pinkies. The reason is simple pinkie rat are just a blob of water and fat, nothing nutritious even the calcium is near non existent compare to a properly sized mouse. Rats are ok (if bigger and with hair) as a occasional feeding but again rats that even an adult king will get will be fatty, bone density lower (calcium lower too) compare to a fully grown adult mouse so not something to consider as a staple diet for it's life.

Any black and white kings I have owned has remained black and white in adulthood.

A 32 quarts tub is big enough for an adult since Cali king remains fairly small.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-27-2018),John1982 (01-27-2018)

Thanks
    I have my adult Mexican Black Kingsnake in a 32 qt tub and he does just fine in it. Temps are a hot spot of 85 and cool side is 75-73. From what I've heard, Cali kings are similar as far as care requirements. I'd think he should be eating something a little bigger at that age, but it depends on his size. A lot of pets stores and uneducated owners seem to underfeed their snakes, so if he is small for his age his meals should be smaller too.

And as far as prey species go, I've never given my kingsnakes rats. Just mice all their lives, pinkies for the baby snakes and small to medium adult mice for my adult MBK. No need to give them rats when mice are the perfect size.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!