Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,926

3 members and 2,923 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incubator by Ax

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Red face Incubator by Ax

Yay, I built a reptile egg incubator! And here’s how I did it.

First, thanks to all the nice and cool peeps for their help along the way and for your feedback.

Secondly, this is how I am writing out my thread. This first post in my DIY incubator thread will outline the materials and tools I used. The next few posts will go over my build process in 4 steps:

1. The Prep
    2. The Assembly
    3. The Accessories
    4. The Test and Debrief

That said, these were my goals for my build:
    1. Make it work
    2. Learn and have fun
    3. Make it pretty!

Ok, the first thing is your mise en place. Get all your supplies, materials and tools in place and organized and ready to build! Here’s the list of stuff I used and needed. I hotlinked some of the specific supplies I used, so if u hover over/click it, it will take u to the store or website I got the item from.

Supplies and Materials
    Wine Cooler
    Heat Tape
    Extension Cord
    Heat Tape Connector and Insulator
    Foil Tape
    Electrical Tape
    Silicon Caulking
    Cooling Fan
    Thermostat
    Twist Ties or Zip Ties
    Closet Wire Shelf
    Power Strip
    Bottled Water

Optional Accesories
    RGB LED Strip
    RGB wire extension
    Rhinestones
    Hot Glue

Tools
    Cleaning Wipes
    Safety Glasses
    Work Gloves
    Rotary Tool
    Power Drill and Drill Bit
    Socket Wrench/Wrench
    Screwdriver
    Measuring Tape/Ruler
    Scissors
    Wire Cutter/Stripper
    Blue Painter’s Tape
    Hacksaw
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (01-27-2018),Godzilla78 (02-11-2018),nightwolfsnow (01-26-2018)

Thanks
    The Prep
    Over the summer I got a broken wine cooler. Before I put it in my car and hauled it away, I looked it over to see if the door seals were good and the interior structures had no cracks or damage. It’s scratched up and there seems to be cat hair all over it, but it looks good for an incubator build. And in the back of my car it goes!

So when I was ready to build, the first thing I did was remove the wire wine shelving racks and wiped down the entire wine cooler w/ bleach cleaning wipes and I aired it out for a like a day w/ the wine cooler door open.

Next I removed the broken cooling components and unnecessary weight of the wine cooler. I used a socket wrench and then a hand wrench for the hard-to-reach places. This wine cooler required a 3/4” socket and 10mm wrench to unbolt the compressor.

Put on your safety glasses and work gloves.

At this point the compressor is still connected to the wire cooler via copper tubing for the cooling system. I made sure that the compressor was safe and that the refrigerant had been removed before gutting the wine cooler. I used a Dremel rotary tool to cut the copper tubing. Wow those sparks really fly! Cut as close to the wall as possible.

This wine cooler also has an interior cooling panel and overhead thermostat and light.

I unscrewed and removed both components. (I also disconnected and removed the overhead thermostat and light.)
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-11-2018)

Thanks
    The Assembly
    With the wine cooler gutted, let’s get on with the build and wiped it down again w/bleach cleaning wipes.

If u haven’t done so already, measure how much heat tape u need. (I actually bought 10 feet of 12” THG heat tape b/c I wanted to save some for a future any build but RBI still sent me just over 12feet!)

I used a measuring tape and some blue painter’s tape to measure from where I wanted the heat tape to start and end. I needed only 3.5feet or 42inches of heat tape to cover the bottom and back wall of the wine cooler.

Next I moved onto wiring. I have a few wires I would be snaking in through the bottom hole in the wine cooler I designated for wiring. Those wires include:
    1. Heat tape wire
    2. Cooling fan wire
    3. Thermostat probe wire
    4. Optional RGB LED strip

I cut off the outlet portion of an available extension cord I had on hand. My cooling fan wire has an L-shaped adaptor plug, so I taped it to the stronger heat tape/extension cord wire to help shimmy it though the small hole.

Here’s all 4 wires/cords:

Here’s what it looked like on the other side!

Next I measured, wired and tested my heat tape.

I also took a moment to seal some interior holes inside the wine cooler. They were mainly hoels fro the screws that held the cooling panel.

I also sealed off the top of the wine cooler where the lighting and thermostat unit hung. I pushed the wire through it’s whole and used foil tape.

Next I want to install/position my cooling fan. I’m using a DC blower type fan where the air is drawn in through the center, the back is solid and the fan can be mounted flat. So I used a very strong Velcro stickie to mount the fan (instead of the screws). Also I decided to have my fan blowing towards the door but I can reposition it later if needed b/c it’s mounted using Velcro.

Alright now it’s time to tape down the heat tape and wires

I measured and cut strips of foil tape for taping down the heat tape.

I taped starting at the bottom, moving up.

When it was time to tape down the heat tape wire, I flipped my wine cooler to make it easier for taping.

I actually taped my heat tape wire and cooling fan wires together across the top and down the side.

Put on your safety glasses and work gloves.

Almost there! Originally I had wanted to flip the wired shelving racks so that it lays flat put it seemed flimsy. So I decided to buy and cut more sturdy closet organizers to use with the incubator.

I measured and initially used a Dremel. But there’s a vinyl coating on the closet organizer that created a little smoke. So ended up making the rest of the cuts using a hacksaw. Less cool, less flying sparks but also smokeless.

With the selves in place, I also positioned the thermostat probe. I pulled extra thermostat probe wire inside the wine cooler and wrapped it around the middle shelf twice. I will be sealing the wire entrance and wanted extra wire just in case I wanted to reposition the thermostat probe late on somewhere else.

Now let’s seal any leftover openings. In my case, I had to seal the wire opening. Make sure u pull all the wires taught and tape them down.

From the inside:

From the outside:

Almost done! The final step in my incubator build is to plug everything in. I got a heavy duty metal , power strip and used the silicon caulking to mount it to the top, back of the wine cooler. I positioned it here b/c the wire cords for my heat tape and cooling fan were short.

And that’s it! YAY! I’m basically done. The wine cooler is now a reptile egg incubator! Yas!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-11-2018)

Thanks
    The Accessories
    Ok, sharp eyes may notice that I had a few extra stuff on my incubator. Like why is it glowing pink in the final pix? That’s b/c I added a few extra’s during my build.

In this post, I will go over a few of my (optional) accessories.

My cooling fan was made by Vivarium Electronics. The same peeps that makes those nice thermostats, sturdy steel scale, black hides, etc. etc. I chose this fan b/c it draws air in from the center and lays flat. More importantly, it has a variable controller to adjust the fan speed.

I removed the sticker. (I ended up just peeling it off my fingernails.)

I actually wanted to mount a half mini-disco ball but the crafts stores didn’t have them. So I hot glued some rhinestones I had lying around.

Ta-dah!

(I may add more later, but right now I think im good.)

I also added an RGB LED strip to my incubator. I tired to wire my own but ended up breaking down and buying a pre-made RGB wire extension. (I was looking for a solderless method.)

I turned out I didn’t need to snake the LED strip through the wire hole, just the extension. I adhered the LED strip around the interior of the wine cooler, making both ends meet parallel to the wire hole. There I connected the extension and LED strip. It works!

So I taped it down.

I have a vid of it flashing on my IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeYkEKpB...ts_and_exotics
    Last edited by Ax01; 01-26-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Thanks
    The Test
    Ok, now that the build is done and looks pretty, let’s make sure it’s functional incubator-wise.

I’m using a Herpstat 4 I had lying around to regulate temps. )I’ll probably swap it out for one of my Herpstat 2’s I have on my enclosures later.) I have the thermostat probe twist-tied to my center shelf.

I’m also using a few simple ZooMed thermometer w/ probe to test temps at the bottom shelf and top shelf.

I’m also using a Begrit thermometer to test ambient temps from the center shelf. (This thermometer also measures humidity, but that’s not important.)

I lined the bottom with some high quality water and set the Herpstat to 87degrees.

After like 30minutes, I came back and checked the temps. I don’t’ remember and can’t tell from the pix what % power the Herpstat was on maintaining 87degrees but the ZooMed thermometers seems almost on point!

Let’s check the Begrit from the temps from the center shelf. 86.9degree! Happy Baby Face! Yay!

I turned on my cooling fan to it’s lowest setting and after a minute or so, temps begin to cool
    https://i.imgur.com/Bu9sIiB.jpg

The next morning, I checked the temps again. And everything seems to be on point!

And the humidity is too low for the Begrit baby Lol. Temp is 87degrees tho and there’s condensation forming in my Fihi water bottles. 

I will continue testing and playing around my incubator. Next I will buy and build some egg boxes and see if any adjustments are needed w/ them inside the incubator.

Ok, let’s revisit my goals:

1. Make it work - CHECK!
    2. Learn and have fun - CHECK!
    3. Make it pretty! - CHECK!

Thanks for reading!
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Thanks

Re: Incubator by Ax

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    The Test
    Ok, now that the build is done and looks pretty, let’s make sure it’s functional incubator-wise.

I’m using a Herpstat 4 I had lying around to regulate temps. )I’ll probably swap it out for one of my Herpstat 2’s I have on my enclosures later.) I have the thermostat probe twist-tied to my center shelf.

I’m also using a few simple ZooMed thermometer w/ probe to test temps at the bottom shelf and top shelf.

I’m also using a Begrit thermometer to test ambient temps from the center shelf. (This thermometer also measures humidity, but that’s not important.)

I lined the bottom with some high quality water and set the Herpstat to 87degrees.

After like 30minutes, I came back and checked the temps. I don’t’ remember and can’t tell from the pix what % power the Herpstat was on maintaining 87degrees but the ZooMed thermometers seems almost on point!

Let’s check the Begrit from the temps from the center shelf. 86.9degree! Happy Baby Face! Yay!

I turned on my cooling fan to it’s lowest setting and after a minute or so, temps begin to cool
    https://i.imgur.com/Bu9sIiB.jpg

The next morning, I checked the temps again. And everything seems to be on point!

And the humidity is too low for the Begrit baby Lol. Temp is 87degrees tho and there’s condensation forming in my Fihi water bottles. 

I will continue testing and playing around my incubator. Next I will buy and build some egg boxes and see if any adjustments are needed w/ them inside the incubator.

Ok, let’s revisit my goals:

1. Make it work - CHECK!
    2. Learn and have fun - CHECK!
    3. Make it pretty! - CHECK!

Thanks for reading!
    Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-26-2018)

Thanks

Wow! This is super thorough! What a great tutorial! And looks fabulous!

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Champagne (Orochimaru)
    0.1 Mojave Bumble Bee (Gwnyvere)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Coral Glow (Jiraiya)
    0.1 Hypo (Kisame)
    0.1 Enchi Leopard 66% Het Pied (Matatabi)
    0.1 Black Head Red Gene (Kushina)
    0.1 GHI Mojave (Tsume)
    0.1 Piebald (Tsunade)
    0.1 Super Stripe (Temari)
    0.1 Albino Spinner (Kurenai)
    0.1 Vanilla Calibee (Ino)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nightwolfsnow For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-26-2018)

Thanks
    Great work on this! The wine cooler you used is almost identical to mine, I wish mine looked this awesome, though! lol You're babies are going to be twerking as soon as they come out of the eggs!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

Nice job Ax. Looking forward to the pipping worms.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-29-2018)

Thanks
    Very nice, thanks for the pictures and write up.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-29-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast