Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,387

1 members and 1,386 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Flagyl, Panacur or Ivermectin?

What's the best treatment for worms in a uromastyx and what is the protocol. I really need some help with this guys, please.
    thanks
    1 ball python, PJ
    1 mali uromastyx, Georgie
    2 african water frogs, kermit and katie
    1 satanic kitty, Sage
    2 golden retrievers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Re: Flagyl, Panacur or Ivermectin?

Quote Originally Posted by Azure
    What's the best treatment for worms in a uromastyx and what is the protocol. I really need some help with this guys, please.
    thanks
    What did your vet suggest?

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    What did your vet suggest?

-adam
    Agreed! I wouldn't just go giving medication without a vet's advice.

Thanks

Red face Re: Flagyl, Panacur or Ivermectin?

my vet gave him a shot of ivermectin about a month ago. I sterilized the whole entire cage, throughout many of his things, let the other things soak in bleach. now the worms are back, that's why i was wondering what other people use. also the reason being is that there are no "reptile" vets around here so they just go by what's in the book and that always isn't what works best. i was a vet tech and went to vet school for a short period of time and i've found that breeders and experienced herp caregivers generally have the best advice particularly because vets see herps rather infrequently and therefore don't have the practical experience necessary. my vet actully put a snake to sleep because it had mouth rot. that's why i'm asking for help from my fellow reptilian fans. thanks again!
    1 ball python, PJ
    1 satanic kitty, Sage
    2 golden retrievers

Thanks

my vet gave him a shot of ivermectin about a month ago. I sterilized the whole entire cage, throughout many of his things, let the other things soak in bleach. now the worms are back, that's why i was wondering what other people use. also the reason being is that there are no "reptile" vets around here so they just go by what's in the book and that always isn't what works best. i was a vet tech and went to vet school for a short period of time and i've found that breeders and experienced herp caregivers generally have the best advice particularly because vets see herps rather infrequently and therefore don't have the practical experience necessary. my vet actully put a snake to sleep because it had mouth rot. that's why i'm asking for help from my fellow reptilian fans. thanks again!

The problem is, without knowing what type of worms we are talking about, there is no way anyone (even a vet) can make an accurate diagnosis or recommend meds. How do you know he has worms? Have you seen them? Check this list to see if there might be any vets in your area: http://www.herpvetconnection.com/

Thanks

Hey Jamie is there some special "trick" to add a vet to that site you just linked to? I'd love to recommend our vet but it won't seem to work. Did notice the site said last updated December 04????

~~Jo~~
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

This is another great site to find good vet: http://www.arav.org/
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Hey Jamie is there some special "trick" to add a vet to that site you just linked to? I'd love to recommend our vet but it won't seem to work. Did notice the site said last updated December 04????

~~Jo~~
    You can submit your vet with this form .... http://www.herpvetconnection.com/submitvet.shtml

Don't put too much stock in the "last updated" stamps you see on websites. Many times, sites are updated and the web guy forgets to update the "last updated" part. It's usually a manual process that gets overlooked a lot ... I know it happens to me with my sites on a pretty regular basis.

-adam

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Thanks

It is nearly impossible for anyone to provide an accurate diagnosis for your animal let alone suggest a possible treatment with some very potent drugs over the internet. In my personal collection I diagnose and treat the vast majority of animals that need medical attention myself, but I get to see them in person. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving out that kind of information without seeing the animal first hand. IMO, anything less is really pretty irresponsible.

-adam

Thanks

i guess i'm used to a different climate of people. i also show dogs, i've owned and bred some of the top dogs in the world. breeders are very generous with information they've accumulated with their experiences. on my breeder forums we openly discuss treatments we've used so that way it helps us know what works and doesn't work.

my uro has tapeworms. i know because segments are in his stool. tapeworms are the only worm that doesn't lay eggs but instead segments are excreted. my concern is because obviously the ivermectin inject didn't work. it is with the health of my uro in consideration that i write.

i also have full access to whatever meds i need, my vet is one of my best friends and he knows how relevant trials and tribulations of those with experience are. again i am no newbie as i have my masters in biochemistry and attended vet school plus worked as a tech while doing my undergrad.
    i appreciate the vet links unfortunately none are in my area.
    i was just curious if anybody had a protocol that worked for their lizards, apparently not.
    vets are not the be all and end all, especially when it comes to herps. they spend a fraction of their education on herps.
    1 ball python, PJ
    1 satanic kitty, Sage
    2 golden retrievers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast