Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,030

2 members and 3,028 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Easiest DIY rack? Looking to make 60 tub neonate rack

Hi everyone, I am thinking of building my own rack that will support up to 60 tubs, only issue is that I don't have a lot of tools anymore and would like to make the rack as effortlessly as possible because I severely injured my back so that's another impediment towards getting this done.

If anyone has any plans/blueprints for cheap, easy to assemble DIY racks I would be VERYYYYYY grateful. Thanks!
    -Mike

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you do not have a lot of tools allowing you to work with wood this will likely be your best route https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ht=frugal+rack
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    With both of the melamine racks I built, I purchased the melamine at Lowes and I had them cut every one of the pieces I needed to size (for free). So, when I got home, all I had to do was router a hole in each shelf for the wiring then assemble the racks and wire them up. Very simple!

For a 60 tub rack with tubs that small, I would imagine 10 shelves with 6 tubs across each would probably be ideal. That would probably make your rack between 5' and 6' tall and maybe 4' - 5' wide, depending on your tub size? Since that would be somewhat of an odd size, there would probably be a lot of leftover material, though. So, I would just design it to hold as many tubs as possible with the least amount of leftover material. Nothing wrong with having some extra rack space just in case you ever need it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Here's the cheapest and quickest rack you can build. Just use Tupperware containers with a row of holes drilled in the sides (for ventilation) and stack them on wire shelving. I actually bought a collection of snakes and didn't have the room and used Tupperware on wire racks for a few weeks. I ordered an ARS rack to hold them but used this short term. Would probably work well for hatchlings assuming you just need space to hold them until they sell or you ship them off to a wholesaler. It's probably best to crank the room temp up to about 85F to 88F so you don't need a hotspot. I took this snapshot off of a Snakebytes video from an old BHB episode, that's where I got the idea. Once I got my permanent rack I used the totes to organize my garage LOL.