Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,077

1 members and 3,076 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Online breeders?

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I hear ya. And like I said, I'm not trying to discourage you. I just have the best interest of the animals in mind. I feel the BP market is already over saturated, especially with normals and even many single gene animals.
    Keep studying, keep learning, and whether you decide breeding is for you or not, I wish you and your snakes the best.
    When I am thinking about taking on a new hobby or pet, I research everything. Just like buying a car. I know how much the maintaince and tires cost, what recalls past and present. Read countless reviews before making a purchase. I have 3 dogs and I researched everything about the breeds. I choose them carefully by general traits and health issues. I also rescue dogs and rehome them at my own expense. One of my rescues is now a seizure therapy dog for a kid with autism. The dog went from being abused to having his perfect home of someone that not only loves him but needs him. I had to learn the requirements for his training and read different approaches till I found ones that worked. Now they will be together for life. The more knowledge you have the better pet owner you will be. I am a biologist at heart and learning about breeding snakes is teaching me a lot about genetics and snakes in general. I am enjoying the adventure. Just like people in BDSM, you have to have safe practices for everyone to have a good experience. I am an advocate for the animals firsts and foremost.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 01-23-2018 at 10:39 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-23-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    When I am thinking about taking on a new hobby or pet, I research everything. Just like buying a car. I know how much the maintaince and tires cost, what recalls past and present. Read countless reviews before making a purchase. I have 3 dogs and I researched everything about the breeds. I choose them carefully by general traits and health issues. I also rescue dogs and rehome them at my own expense. One of my rescues is now a seizure therapy dog for a kid with autism. The dog went from being abused to having his perfect home of someone that not only loves him but needs him. I had to learn the requirements for his training and read different approaches till I found ones that worked. Now they will be together for life. The more knowledge you have the better pet owner you will be. I am a biologist at heart and learning about breeding snakes is teaching me a lot about genetics and snakes in general. I am enjoying the adventure. Just like people in BDSM, you have to have safe practices for everyone to have a good experience. I am an advocate for the animals firsts and foremost.
    That's awesome!!!

Good on you for researching thoroughly, your animals thank You!

And working with rescue dogs is hella awesome and something to be proud of. Rehoming a rescue dog as a therapy animal is truly admirable, congrats on your great work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    That's awesome!!!

Good on you for researching thoroughly, your animals thank You!

And working with rescue dogs is hella awesome and something to be proud of. Rehoming a rescue dog as a therapy animal is truly admirable, congrats on your great work.
    So far I have had only one fail training and she had a gun shot wound. Got her healthy and potty trained again and her shots. She had to go to a home with no other animals or children. Her new owners love her very much and she is adjusting to their life well. She will always be scared of people and other dogs. My trio will not let anyone be shy so she adjusted to them but they all know I am in charge and no aggression at all. My pack is special in their training. She took a while to warm up but every time a loud noise or another dog barked at her she would try to run and hide peeing all over herself. She has been in her new home for 6 months now and doing well. One of my pups is an artic wolf. She is not like a dog at all. Is fun seeing the differences and learning so much. She is adjusting well to life in my house though and is very friendly. If I can just get her potty trained now... LOL. She is 3 months old so a way to go yet.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 01-23-2018 at 11:02 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Skyrivers- I would suggest checking out both morph market and world of ball pythons. MM has a ton of animals for sale and you can use that information to find out what you like and also to see what is more or less popular in the marketplace. WOBP has a list of morphs that is searchable and also a morph calculator to see what pairings could produce percentage wise.

Another good resource is the blog by Justin Kobylka and his videos.

There used to be a good blog resource on breeding by major league reptiles, but I think the old owner took it down when he sold the business (if I'm remembering it correctly).

I would also suggest some of the breeder videos hosted by the reptile channel on youtube (herpers tv).. I can't remember the guy's name..I think it is Dav Kaufman, but I could be wrong. He interviews different breeders, both small and large-scale.

Olympus reptiles is also a good channel on youtube to watch.. He is a small-scale breeder and does do some information videos on care and breeding.

I think in the end, it all comes down to whether or not you like working with the animals enough and can afford the care and housing /feeding expense. BPs don't have as huge of a clutch size as some others (say a boa with ~20+ babies per clutch) but caring for 7-12 new snakes can be a huge increase in time and expenses. Other than that, it just comes down to whether they hold your interest or not.

I would honestly look at all the morphs / projects available and pick something you really love. Consider working with morphs in the BEL complex that have the potential to produce BELs but also other combos you find interesting.

After that, I'd just plan on saving up and waiting for the right animal.. don't settle for something just due to price. Finding pics of adult versions of the morphs you are interested in is worth it too.. Some morphs change a lot and don't look nearly as good as adults, so it pays to know that going in.

When I got into reptiles about 5 years ago I liked certain morphs but thought they were out of my price range at the time. Because of that, I settled for animals that were less expensive (say, $300 range instead of $500 animals). Now, years later, I am still wanting those original animals I was drawn to and have had to invest again in those morphs. I still enjoy my less expensive animals, but they no longer fit into my future breeding plans and are "just pets". There is nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that I am now caring for 3 additional animals when I could have had both pets and potential breeders combined.

If you really love BELs, I'd seriously consider saving up and investing in a BEL male, then pair that male to BEL complex females of your choice. This will give you a range of animals to produce while you can still enjoy a BEL as a pet and breeder. Or, you could get a male like this one who has a BEL complex gene (lesser), along with 2 other genes that would give you a variety of offspring. (Note... I have purchased from that seller before and was happy with my purchase, but I'm not affiliated with them, etc).

When I got my first animals, there were some morphs that I had not even looked into that I later found and liked more than what I had purchased, so again, research def. pays in the long run.

Please feel free to continue to post your questions. The community is full of excellent resources. I would also like to encourage you to use the search function here on the site (the advanced search). You may be able to find a load of old thread with pics and info about BEL complex animals, etc. I found a lot of info that way when looking into my current project (hypos / ghosts).
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to artgecko For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just a thought here, if you're getting a single gene, do that, but one that is also 100% het for a recessive you like.
    Then get a really nice visual male to pair it/them with, then you'll be getting 2 nice things out of that female. So if you get normals, then they will at least be het for something, and might sell easier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roux View Post
    Just a thought here, if you're getting a single gene, do that, but one that is also 100% het for a recessive you like.
    Then get a really nice visual male to pair it/them with, then you'll be getting 2 nice things out of that female. So if you get normals, then they will at least be het for something, and might sell easier.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think I agree with you. Was originally thinking of BELs only but I have researched both Blue Eyed Lucy (Moj Moj) and Mystic Potion and love the combo. They are slightly different and only 2 possible outcomes when breeding.

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-pythons/78986

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/110896

Another benefit is that no normal will be produced this way. Later I might add the pinstripe in the mix for jigsaw I will keep playing with the combos and see what I can come up with but this is all in theory as of now.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 01-24-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    Skyrivers-
    When I got into reptiles about 5 years ago I liked certain morphs but thought they were out of my price range at the time. Because of that, I settled for animals that were less expensive (say, $300 range instead of $500 animals). Now, years later, I am still wanting those original animals I was drawn to and have had to invest again in those morphs. I still enjoy my less expensive animals, but they no longer fit into my future breeding plans and are "just pets". There is nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that I am now caring for 3 additional animals when I could have had both pets and potential breeders combined.
    (hypos / ghosts).
    I think this is really good advice here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I am looking for a reputable online breeder to do business with. I am looking for a breeding size male and female Mojave. I will be ordering a rack system on the 1st. What is a good price to pay for the pair? I have seen ranges but want to know what is fair to pay.

Also is there a website for people to trade for breeding and getting new genetic lines?

Morphmarket definitley, I have had multiple purchases from that site and from the breeders i specifically purchased from all are healthy and doing well!
    Last edited by rissari; 02-02-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234