Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,347

2 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Could Roe be fasting..? My baby BCI

Well, she was supposed to eat on Thursday. I offered but she had no interest what-so-ever. On that Thursday, I gave her her usual F/T hopper mouse, exept the thing I did differently was I tried to feed her in her tank. I jiggled it for a good 5 minutes, then when she didn't care I set it down. In 10 minutes she went over and laid on top of it but when I gave it another 10 she went back in her hide. I kept it in there for an hour and a half, and she didn't care. I offered again Friday, in the tank again, and she didn't even come out! I kept it in there for about 2 hours. Then I offered yesterday in the tub. I jiggled it for about 10 minutes, and she showed no interest. I left it in there for 2 hours, and she wanted nothing to do with it. Could she be fasting? I weighed her after I tried yesterday and she lost 5 grams, so I'm kinda worried. Thank you!
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Could Roe be fasting..? My baby BCI

I wouldn’t worry for a week of not eating , it may be she’s been to toilet for 5g loss, she may be coming into shed ? Unless anything else has changed in her viv/rub, perhaps post some pics of her set up, and when she last she’d etc normally 6-8 weeks most of my boas shed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Alright. I was kinda thinking the 5g might be a bowl movement. I don't know if she'd be going into shed.. She shed maybe 2 weeks ago? I havent seen any signs. Here's her tank a week or so ago, since then I blacked out the sides with some poster board.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GpBp For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-22-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

The viv looks fine and she shouldn’t be in shed just yet then, that’s good you blacked the sides out ,I wouldn’t offer for another week, she may be having an off day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (01-22-2018),Team Slytherin (01-23-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I would wait at least 5 days between offering. If it were my snake, I would wait til Thurs and offer again inside the enclosure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (01-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    A baby boa should not turn down food.

Give us a rundown of your temps and stuff. Also i would put in smaller hides. That rock thing is clearly too big compared to the boa on top of it. Remember, snakes prefer small fairly tight fitting hides. And snakes LOVE cardboard like cereal boxes and shoe boxes. They work awesome until they get pissed on haha.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (01-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Well, she was supposed to eat on Thursday. I offered but she had no interest what-so-ever. On that Thursday, I gave her her usual F/T hopper mouse, exept the thing I did differently was I tried to feed her in her tank. I jiggled it for a good 5 minutes, then when she didn't care I set it down. In 10 minutes she went over and laid on top of it but when I gave it another 10 she went back in her hide. I kept it in there for an hour and a half, and she didn't care. I offered again Friday, in the tank again, and she didn't even come out! I kept it in there for about 2 hours. Then I offered yesterday in the tub. I jiggled it for about 10 minutes, and she showed no interest. I left it in there for 2 hours, and she wanted nothing to do with it. Could she be fasting? I weighed her after I tried yesterday and she lost 5 grams, so I'm kinda worried. Thank you!
    Did you warm the mouse up each time you offered ??

Maybe it's simply going into shed mode ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    A baby boa should not turn down food.

Give us a rundown of your temps and stuff. Also i would put in smaller hides. That rock thing is clearly too big compared to the boa on top of it. Remember, snakes prefer small fairly tight fitting hides. And snakes LOVE cardboard like cereal boxes and shoe boxes. They work awesome until they get pissed on haha.
    Humidity- 65ish%
    Warm-80°F
    Cool-73°F
    Right at UTH-100°F

7°F drop? I have a 10 gallon... That doesn't seem right.

I have a smaller plastic hide I'm putting in there right now.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Did you warm the mouse up each time you offered ??

Maybe it's simply going into shed mode ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I did warm the mouse up. I thaw the hopper in one of those small plastic baggies, then I put the baggie in an old pill bottle filled with hot water (but not like boiling). I leave for about a half hour. I check to see if it's all warm and thawed before I offer though, and if not I hit it with a hairdryer.
    Maybe she is going into shed. I saw her when I checked the temps, and I might have been imagining it but it looked like her cheeks were a bit pink? I'm not sure if that means anything.
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    Humidity- 65ish%
    Warm-80°F
    Cool-73°F
    Right at UTH-100°F

7°F drop? I have a 10 gallon... That doesn't seem right.

I have a smaller plastic hide I'm putting in there right now.
    The UTH is too hot. I wouldnt go above 90F and from my experience with all my snakes, none of them like it above 86-88F.

Warm side is fine. Cool side is a bit cool. I personally wouldnt like it to get below 75F and prefer 77-79F. But for me, that is the whole cage ambient temps as i use flexwatt. So i just offer the 86-88F belly heat spot and the rest of the cage stays room temp which is 75-79F depending if its night or day.

Humidity is ok although might want to mist once a week to spike it. My boas seem to like a warm misting. They perk up and usually come out and wander around for while and are more active.

Thing with smaller cages is despite what a lot of people say about snakes "needing' the small cages, it is harder to get a good temp gradient. You can put a baby snake in a 400 gallon tank if you want assuming you get the security, temps and humidity right. You will probably never find him in there but he wouldnt care either way. The key is you need to make the cage feel secure to them. In the wild they dont live on a 24x12 plot of ground. They move all over but they do have lots of cover and junk to hide in and under and around. You want to replicate that in a larger cage.

And finally like others have said, could he be shedding? Some snakes will eat in shed, some wont. My sunglow is probably a couple days from shedding and she ate a leftover small rat last night. Also the temps of the food dont seem to matter to my boas. They eat stuff that is room temp. It seems more the smell of the item but you can always trying running it under hot(not burning) water to heat it up and them paper towel dry it and hang it infront of him.

Also a final word, how are you taking the temps? With a temp gun? Or that analog temp gauge you got? Analog gauges are generally junk and notorious for being very inaccurate. Go out and buy a temp gun and a digital temp/humidity gauge like an acurite one from Walmart or Target. I use these and they seem fairly accurate. https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-D...00325/16888914

Also they are bulletproof as my retic has dumped his in his water bowl twice and after removing the battery and letting it dry for a couple days, it works fine again.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 01-22-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast