Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

1 members and 3,199 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Black eyed beauty

This is my 8 yr old proven female bci or bi , even tho she is only 5 ft she is solid, she’s been in with my males again this year and I’m sure she’s gravid now,
    I had my albino jungle in with her for 3 months and whilst they have always been cuddled I’ve never seen a lock so I put my 3yr old motley in with her again 6 weeks ago and have seen countless locks with her so not sure who will be dad but either will be fine ,
    She has a weird stripe on her neck and the blackest eyes I’ve ever seen on a boa you can hardly see her eyes .she threw a weird aberrant almost jungle baby out last year with my motley, she only had 5 babies and 7 slugs but all was great, she had two really nice motley’s just like dad
    these where the babies she had

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2018),C.Marie (02-21-2018),c0r3yr0s3 (01-21-2018),cletus (12-20-2018),dakski (02-20-2018),FollowTheSun (12-19-2018)

Thanks

Re: Black eyed beauty

Is she for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexiconartist For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (01-22-2018)

Thanks

I’m afraid not and I live in the U.K. anyway , she’s about my only grump she’s tagged me
    So many times, sometimes I can handle her no probs but I’m still wary of her, I had her off someone when she was 3 as he could tame her down either

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    whoa! that's a really cool boa. reminds me of the new trend of getting your eyeballs tattooed all black.

Edit: also i wanna see more fabulous display's w/ your snakes. get into the Christmas spirit, except u don't have to make the displays all Christmas-y.
    Last edited by Ax01; 02-20-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    I’m afraid not and I live in the U.K. anyway , she’s about my only grump she’s tagged me
    So many times, sometimes I can handle her no probs but I’m still wary of her, I had her off someone when she was 3 as he could tame her down either

Do you notice that temperament is genetic?

Is she more likely to have temperamental babies?

I do not breed and wonder how that works.

Thank you for the post and in advance if you know the answer!

I love that we have some Boa posts going now. Pretty cool.

Thanks

Thanks ax01, her eyes are so weird you can’t tell wether she is focused on you or not all my other boas have the usual amazing two tone eyes so you can at least them dilate, lol
    I will try get more pics outside once the weather warms up a bit, it’s always dark when I’m home from work each night so not great for lighting, she’s actually gravid again now so won’t be playing much with her for a few months, lol

Thanks

Black eyed beauty

Hi dakski
    I had her since she was 3 and I always stroke her when I go in She’s never once hissed so never gives a warning before a strike at least Medusa gives a hiss if she don’t want to play, they reckon a lot of Central American genes can be quite feisty like with Medusa but she has calmed down with training so I always handled her babies from approx a week old a couple of times a week and will do from this litter, I sometimes had the odd hiss when they was
    In shed but on the whole all where nice and tame for when there new owners had them and all still are as I hear back regular on there progress, no one like a grumpy big boa, lol

Last edited by richardhind1972; 02-21-2018 at 03:29 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Hi dakski
    I had her since she was 3 and I always stroke her when I go in She’s never once hissed so never gives a warning before a strike at least Medusa gives a hiss if she don’t want to play, they reckon a lot of Central American genes can be quite feisty like with Medusa but she has calmed down with training so I always handled her babies from approx a week old a couple of times a week and will do from this litter, I sometimes had the odd hiss when they was
    In shed but on the whole all where nice and tame for when there new owners had them and all still are as I hear back regular on there progress, no one like a grumpy big boa, lol

Yeah, I certainly do not want a big grumpy Boa! That's why I am working with Behira on the hook training and regular handling. Although, I am convinced it was a food response bite I got. She was upset my arm wasn't a rat, and when she realized it wasn't, let me pick her up and was fine. Either way, bites are never fun for everyone involved.

That sucks - no warning!

Does she calm down when you pick her up, or can she still be aggressive/defensive then too?

Cool the babies are pretty docile and get used to be handled. I hear most BCI's, as you say, are pretty chill. Hoping Behira continues down that path!

Who knows what she went through/how she was treated before you got her though. I know it's different, but I have a dog, a mutt, Banning, who I adopted when he was 9 months old. He had been abused and thrown out of a car onto the street when he was 6 months old. Starving, he got taken into a kill shelter. I got him a few months later (he was shipped up from Georgia, or about 1000 miles away from Connecticut, where I live). The first night I had him, I took my belt off, getting undressed and ready for bed. He cowered in the corner. We had a little talk and I told him I would never hurt him. 9 years later, he still puts his head down and gets spooked often when I, or especially someone he doesn't know, goes to pet him. Loud noises are a big no-no for him too. So is dropping something off the counter (by accident of course).

So, I get it's hard taking in an animal with an unknown, or known abusive, past.

Kudos to you for sticking with her. Seems you know your way around BCI's anyway. I am still getting used to Behira, and her to me.

Thanks

That’s a shame about your dog, it’s a shame when they nervous like that and as you know they never seem to grow out of it fully as things always seem to scarred on there brain, sounds like he’s got nice new parents now that know how to show him love

I think your right about your ghost that it was a feeding response and all the tap training should pay off

I still get mrs boa out but just a bit wary of the bitey end , lol, I normally just use the hook to push her head away and just pick her out with my hands ,She’s way to solid to lift her with hook and it can damage them
    Once older , I can have her out for half hour and absolutely fine then she will just take a swipe as if to say don’t I want To play no more and other times she’s fine just very unpredictable,as you say we don’t know what happened in the past if she was ever handled at all etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-21-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

This thread should be moved to Red Tail boas forum. And Red Tail Boas forum should be renamed to Boa Constrictors forum in order to be more factual and scientific

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast