Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,941

1 members and 2,940 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is it safe to handle a 8 foot boa alone?

Hi everyone,

I heard male boas get from 6 to 8 feet. Would it be reasonable to handle them alone in case they reach 8 feet?

Many thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    That's "pushing it" & the answer "depends" on other factors:

-Your experience with snakes (constrictors) & the precautions you take (like never allowing them to loop completely around your neck, safe feeding practices, & making sure you never handle their prey before you handle the snake in case any scent remains on you or your clothing, or even in the room & area you're in).

-Your own physical size, strength, & health (including age- it's not only the snake that's going to get older & they can live many years with good genes, good care & good health luck).

-The temperament of the individual snake (which, just like us, might not be completely consistent).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-16-2021 at 12:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bcr229 (12-16-2021),dakski (12-16-2021),EL-Ziggy (12-16-2021),Erie_herps (12-16-2021),GoingPostal (12-16-2021),Homebody (12-16-2021),Hugsplox (12-23-2021),nikkubus (12-23-2021),Skyrivers (12-17-2021),SS snakes (01-10-2022),WrongPython (12-17-2021)

Thanks
    That's usually the limit of whether or not you handle by yourself or with someone else (of course this depends on the individual). Everything Bogertophis said is spot on. But, if you do decide to try to handle it yourself you should take some more precautions. Start by having other people with you or handling someone else's ~8+ ft. boa (note that this would need to be a boa, handling a retic or carpet python is not the same). Along with taking precautions (like not having scents on you) be sure never to take anything for granted, they are still wild animals with wild instincts. If it is defensive and doesn't want to come out don't force it or rush it. You should probably handle it often so it's tame, if you're not comfortable with that then it would be a good idea to have someone else around. It's also a good idea to keep a spray bottle of listerine/vodka on hand so if it bites you can encourage it to release. This might be an unpopular opinion but you might want to keep a knife or similar weapon on hand (on you so even if you can't move your arms much you can still get it) when working with potentially deadly snakes, especially since it's possible that the spray bottle is out of reach or doesn't stop the snake.
    Last edited by Erie_herps; 12-16-2021 at 01:31 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (12-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Is it safe to handle a 8 foot boa alone?

I agree with Bogertophis that there are multiple variables to consider before we can give a well informed and educated answer to your question.

Generally speaking, I believe an average, modestly healthy, adult should be able to safely handle an 8’ boa alone.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (12-16-2021),GoingPostal (12-16-2021),nikkubus (12-23-2021)

Thanks
    Maxdexter: It helps a great deal when you've actually RAISED the snake from when it was small- as you'll know each other pretty well by the time it's so much larger.

It's a whole different thing to just acquire a large snake- it won't likely trust you for quite some time, & you shouldn't fully trust it either until you chalk up a lot of time together. But your question sounds like you're planning to raise the snake-?

One thing that can make a snake suddenly clamp down on you is fear, or feeling like they're going to fall. It's not always predictable, & you'd be surprised how strong even a 6' snake is when it wants to be. Boas have more bulk, but they're not the only strong snakes around. My current 6'-7' adult rat snakes are very capable of "hand-cuffing" me (they're great climbers but you sure don't want them looped around your neck- even if they don't "mean it"), while the 7.5' boa (BCI) that I used to have never did put any squeezes on me- but you always have to consider that it's possible & stay "aware" when you handle large snakes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-16-2021 at 03:45 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (12-23-2021)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Bogertophis;2767336]Maxdexter: It helps a great deal when you've actually RAISED the snake from when it was small- as you'll know each other pretty well by the time it's so much larger.

It's a whole different thing to just acquire a large snake- it won't likely trust you for quite some time, & you shouldn't fully trust it either until you chalk up a lot of time together. But your question sounds like you're planning to raise the snake-?

One thing that can make a snake suddenly clamp down on you is fear, or feeling like they're going to fall. It's not always predictable, & you'd be surprised how strong even a 6' snake is when it wants to be. Boas have more bulk, but they're not the only strong snakes around. My current 6'-7' adult rat snakes are very capable of "hand-cuffing" me (they're great climbers but you sure don't want them looped around your neck- even if they don't "mean it"), while the 7.5' boa (BCI) that I used to have never did put any squeezes on me- but you always have to consider that it's possible & stay "aware" when you handle large snakes.[/QUOTE

Yes, I would buy it from a baby as my second snake. Thanks for all the advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,686 Posts

If you raise your boa from a hatchling you shouldn’t have any issues handling it as an adult. Boas grow fairly slowly, if they’re not overfed, so you’ll have a few years experience with the animal before it hits the 6’ mark. My boas are both in the 4’ range right now, I also have a few 7-8’ pythons. The pythons aren’t quite as heavy bodied as the boas but I think they’re more challenging to handle. Their tails have a mind of their own. Most boas move pretty slowly and will sometimes even stay still during handling while pythons are much more active. IMO boas are easier and slightly more fun to handle.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-23-2021),Bogertophis (12-16-2021),dakski (12-17-2021),Homebody (12-17-2021),nikkubus (12-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys, if I want a 7 or 8 foot boa, should I go for a male or female?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maxdexter View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, if I want a 7 or 8 foot boa, should I go for a male or female?
    If you're concerned about the boa's ultimate size & handling it alone, I'd get a male- I wish mine had been a male. The boa that I had was a female: she was an unwanted "rescue" that I took in -I was persuaded to adopt her because she'd gone thru many owners in her first year, after they each were convinced she'd never stop biting them. She was not a snake I'd ever planned to have, but she turned out to be delightful anyway. The point is, females tend to eat more & grow larger for reproductive success. Mine was at least 7.5' long by the time she was 13 years old, & at that time, I knew a couple that was into larger snakes, so she moved in with them & ultimately lived to age 18.

When she was my snake, I handled her alone, which I would agree was "pushing it" safety-wise, but I have decades of experience with many kinds of snakes at least, & a healthy inclination toward self-preservation. Her rare moodiness never actually presented a problem for me- I could talk her out of being grumpy, & she never even bit me once in the 12 years I had her, nor did she ever put a squeeze on me. BUT, there's no guarantee that your boa or any other will be the same way-nor remain at any size, since they grow their whole lives & can live many years; they're individuals just like us, so put your own situation first, so that you have a pet you'll always enjoy & feel comfortable with.

Do also consider your budget & space- larger snakes need larger housing & warmth supplied. Consider where in your life you'll be in years to come, since snakes can live a long time. Your decision.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (12-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If you're concerned about the boa's ultimate size & handling it alone, I'd get a male- I wish mine had been a male. The boa that I had was a female: she was an unwanted "rescue" that I took in -I was persuaded to adopt her because she'd gone thru many owners in her first year, after they each were convinced she'd never stop biting them. She was not a snake I'd ever planned to have, but she turned out to be delightful anyway. The point is, females tend to eat more & grow larger for reproductive success. Mine was at least 7.5' long by the time she was 13 years old, & at that time, I knew a couple that was into larger snakes, so she moved in with them & ultimately lived to age 18.

When she was my snake, I handled her alone, which I would agree was "pushing it" safety-wise, but I have decades of experience with many kinds of snakes at least, & a healthy inclination toward self-preservation. Her rare moodiness never actually presented a problem for me- I could talk her out of being grumpy, & she never even bit me once in the 12 years I had her, nor did she ever put a squeeze on me. BUT, there's no guarantee that your boa or any other will be the same way-nor remain at any size, since they grow their whole lives & can live many years; they're individuals just like us, so put your own situation first, so that you have a pet you'll always enjoy & feel comfortable with.

Do also consider your budget & space- larger snakes need larger housing & warmth supplied. Consider where in your life you'll be in years to come, since snakes can live a long time. Your decision.
    Yeah, I won't get a snake anytime soon, because my mom is terrified of them, but I want a Boa in my life. I see females get really thick compared to males, so that was a good sized boa. I need experience with constrictors first to be honest to know what it's like. I can then see how I feel about handling large snakes.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxdexter For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-23-2021),dakski (12-23-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast