Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,142

1 members and 3,141 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    There is cement that bonds pvc together. PVC cement is something you can get at a hardware store and will permanently bond those cracks back together. You will need to unscrew the board from the enclosure if possible and then use the cement to seal the cracks together. It dries fast but you might want to give it a day to make sure it doesn't off gas.

What you want is Oatey heavy duty pvc cement. Basically you are doing the same thing you do with pvc pipes.

Silicone will not permanently bond to PVC and will just come off.
    Last edited by SDA; 01-20-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

omglolchrisss (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I think some are over thinking this. I understand these are the walls of the cage. As being such they are going to have very little stress put on them and I see no reason to use anything as serious as pvc cement. Not for a single cage but I wouldn't stack any other cages on it down the road.

I've used the PVC cement for plumbing(for plumbing projects) and honestly I would never put it on a snake cage. It will be hard to actually get in the cracks and I see it as just making a mess being a lot of work for little gain.

I'd go with something like this.

Gorilla Epoxy, .85 oz., Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Z3C3AG..._Ml6yAbGQFAE23

That product included this note.

"Gorilla Epoxy works well on PVC sheets, but is not recommended for use on PVC pipe or certain low surface energy plastics, such as polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP), or certain types of rubber with high oil or plasticizer content."

If you want something more flexible because you beat your cages like a drum you could go with a silicone.

Loctite Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant 2.7-Ounce Tube (908570) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BBX3U..._3n6yAb5D04VPM

On the side piece you could use a small piece of metal strap and small screws to reinforce it but it won't be pretty.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

omglolchrisss (01-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Are there ways to fix a pvc enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by elleon View Post
    You might also be able to use PVC cement, like the type used for plumbing, which will chemically bond it together. This would definitely need time to air out though, and then I would suggest washing it before putting a snake back in to make sure there's no residue or fumes.
    This is the best advice. PVC can be easily WELDED! The best kind of repair is a welded repair. Just buy a small can of PVC primer, and a small can of PVC cement. The primer is by far the most important step, as the primer is what causes the PVC molecules to liquify and then re-harden, thus welding the PVC together. Just take a Q-tip and apply the primer to the cracks, make sure to apply to both sides until the crack is liquidy. Then while it is still wet, dab the q-tip in the pvc cement to make sure that any gaps are filled. (if there are no gaps at all, the glue is optional, it is the primer that causes the PVC bonding to itself.)

Buy clear primer, and not the purple stuff, to prevent staining.

Make sure to do this in a well-ventilated area, when the snake is not in there. The PVC weld-joint will cure within minutes and it will safe to put the snake back, as the fumes will also dissipate within minutes.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 01-20-2018 at 05:22 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (01-20-2018),omglolchrisss (01-20-2018),SDA (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I have been welding PVC for 20 years, and believe me this, is WAY better than epoxy, silicone, glue or any other advice given above. Which will all be an inferior repair.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

omglolchrisss (01-20-2018),SDA (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I have been welding PVC for 20 years, and believe me this, is WAY better than epoxy, silicone, glue or any other advice given above. Which will all be an inferior repair.
    I was hoping you would chime in. see welding is the best option, taking form someone who knows
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

omglolchrisss (01-20-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Are there ways to fix a pvc enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I was hoping you would chime in. see welding is the best option, taking form someone who knows
    Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    There is cement that bonds pvc together. PVC cement is something you can get at a hardware store and will permanently bond those cracks back together. You will need to unscrew the board from the enclosure if possible and then use the cement to seal the cracks together. It dries fast but you might want to give it a day to make sure it doesn't off gas.

What you want is Oatey heavy duty pvc cement. Basically you are doing the same thing you do with pvc pipes.

Silicone will not permanently bond to PVC and will just come off.
    The best yes.. I agree with you. Maybe not the easiest for a laymen though that needs the enclosure as we speak.
    As far as Silicone.
    I've been using (Bath n Kitchen Clear) for years and never had it come of as you said it will. It holds all my Thermometer probes to the walls and floors and if a 117 lb Burmese never ripped it off then using it on a crack will stick fine. I also use it to fill old Drilled power cord holes in AP enclosures up to 1/2". Still there never has pealed.
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-21-2018 at 01:03 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

KMG (01-21-2018),omglolchrisss (01-21-2018)

Thanks

Here is one more way - what I actually did when I cracked one side of a PVC cage:

I went to a sign shop and asked for "Sintra" closed cell PVC - they knew what I was talking about - same material used in PVC cages. I bought a small piece of scrap they had. About 6mm (roughly 1/4 inch) thick.

At home, use a straight-edge and a utility knife and score the piece to a size that will cover the crack at least an inch on each side, or more if you want. Keep scoring the PVC until you can more easily bend it to snap it, or just use a saw, whatever works for you. Sand it to get smooth edges. Shape it how you want. You can get creative and make a 1/4 moon, a lightening bolt, whatever you want. Epescially if using a jig saw to cut the piece.

Get some regular PVC cement - the kind used for PVC plumbing - glue the patch on (inside the cage or outside, whichever you want). Just hold it down for about 2 minutes, it will grab.

This will give you a super strong repair. And since it is the same PVC material, it expands and shrinks with the cage material.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 6strings For This Useful Post:

omglolchrisss (02-26-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12