Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,995

4 members and 2,991 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Roaches

Thanks

Roaches

Never really thought about it but what’s the best way to keep the roaches in good health? Food? Temp? Let me know I have 100 discoid coming to me tomm afternoon from Joes Bugz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All you need is a plastic tub 66 quarts.

Egg crate placed vertically.

Temps of 85/95 if you want them to breed. (can be lower if you just plan on keeping them without breeding).

Water in the form of water crystal.

Roach chow, ground up dog food, or this https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Bug-B.../dp/B00DLI6H6E
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would first ask which roach you are planning on keeping as some of the caging and temp requirements will be different. For example, dubia are okay in a plastic tub but if you use that for B. lateralis you will find yourself with a suddenly empty tub... I heat my dubia, whereas room temp in the snake room is fine for my sp. Ivory. I use egg crate for my dubia, for my sp. Ivory I have a 15cm deep layer of cocopeat.

I feed a varied diet of fruit/veggies (squash, yams, pumpkins, apples, celery, berries, carrots, bell peppers, etc.) and occasionally supplement with things like chicken feed or plain cereal. I personally disagree with the use of water crystals because they are composed of acrylamide which is a known toxin and I do not want to forward feed that to my animals. My roaches get enough moisture from the food items I give them that water for them is not necessary.
    actagggcagtgatatcctagcattgatggtacatggcaaattaacctcatgat

Thanks
    dark plastic tub... I use a layer of packing tape around the top (inside) to prevent crawl-outs.

Discoids are similar to dubia, which is what I have. For my dubai I keep verticle egg flats stacked and put my food / water crystals on top of the flats in dishes. I use organic chicken feed, water crystals, and fresh fruits / veggies. Watch the amount you feed them. You should only give them enough for 1-2 days then toss any leftover fresh fruits / veggies to prevent mold. Also, keep the wet food / water crystals and dry food apart.

If you use a lid, cut a large hole in it and cover with mesh to allow for good ventilation.

I keep a heat pad on the side of my tub and heat it to 90f for them to breed. Their room air temp is 75f or more.

Be prepared to sift out the frass (feces) when it needs it. They will start to smell if not done often enough and can die from mold if there is too much humidity in the bin.

If you want a breeding colony, don't feed off yours for several months and wait until you see babies of all the sizes. You will need about 1.5-8 ratio (male / female) for best results. But if you only have a few adults to start with, don't cull anyone yet as some may die due to old age, etc.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Re: Roaches

It’s going to be Discoid roaches, I have a sterilite bin ready to go with greens cartons and as far as heating, should I just place a heat pad on the side of the bin? Regulate it with a t-stat? My reptile room averages 80-83 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk