Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 485

2 members and 483 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

New to the site and shipping snakes

Hello! I'm positive this is a common thread on here but I'd love to hear some personal stories to ease my worry. The breeder I'm getting my baby ball python from mailed Fedex Priority Overnight on Wednesday evening. The little banana man was delayed in Memphis all day yesterday with the lowest temperature being 18 on Thursday morning and a high in the mid 30s throughout the day. When I called Fedex, they told me him was in a shipping container and will be arriving sometime today. He was packaged in an insulated box with a 40 hour heat pad so, I feel like he will be okay upon his arrival this morning/afternoon.

So, my question is.. How well do you feel a 80g Ball Python can handle cold temperatures for a full day even with a heat pad? Ill be videoing the unboxing but I'd love to hear personal experiences with delayed delivery of our legless friends.

Val

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I hate breeders who ignore weather events and extreme cold weather to ship a snake. This should have never shipped.

Can you hold it at the hub today and pick it up? It will be fine but I am 3 days past my original delivery date on my enclosure and it is just now on the truck for delivery because of how bad FedEx is this week. I would not trust them to get it out to you today due to the company wide snafu they did.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

Re: New to the site and shipping snakes

This is my first snake that's ever been shipped. Fedex lifted their warning about extreme weather conditions and it looked like a good time to ship. The banana man is out for delivery on a truck right now so, he should be arriving sometime soon. Looks like he spent almost two full days in his box. Hoping for the best.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can they be shipped when it's cold? Yes if you are experienced and know what you do and the condition are not extreme.

As for delays it happens even when there is no whether conditions however this was predictable Fedex Hub in Memphis and Indiana have suffered severe issues over the last week (starting thursday January 12th ), there were delays that accumulated meaning they had to catch up and while catching, up more delays added up due to the snow on Monday and Tuesday (kind of hard to miss if you do what you are supposed to as a shipper and keep track of the weather in 3 locations). So yes the weather warning was lifted however they have a week worth the delays to catch up with.

If you are dealing with someone who knows how to pack, the animal should be fine even delayed for 24 hours compare to their original delivery date.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: New to the site and shipping snakes

I appreciate the info. The breeder who shipped packaged him to the best of his ability. I'm pretty confident the snake will be okay. I am just sitting here with a knot in my stomach, thinking about my little banana. Every passing minute is driving me insane.