Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,368

1 members and 1,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Please help!!!

Thanks

Please help!!!

I have a total of 6 snakes who I love very dearly I am trying the best I can to provide the best care for them but I have recently run into a problem. On 1-15-18 I received my acurites to monitor the temps and humidity but unfortunately my readings aren’t good. I have my snakes in a rack system and use paper towels for the bedding but will be switching to something else due to the humidity being low with paper towels. My main problem is the acurites read 77 to 84 degrees in the tubs on the warm side my stat for the snakes is set to 90 degrees. I was told on a Facebook group that I need to up the room temp but here is my problem I live in a very tiny apartment like tiny house small. I can’t move them anywhere else and can’t add a heater (I have crested geckos in the same small room) nor can I up the temp in my apartment it’s controlled for the whole building so what can I do to up the temp in the tubs? Could I just up the stat to a little higher temp until the acurites read whatever the temp should be inside (should be between 86-90 correct?)? I need some help please! I don’t want to have to get rid of my babies or anything happening

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Yes, you adjust your thermostat according to the FLOOR temperature of the tub UNDER the substrate.
    Most times you will have to run the thermostat hotter due to heat loss between the uth and tub.
    What thermostat are you using and where is the probe?

Thanks

Re: Please help!!!

What PitOnTheProwl said. When setting up a new enclosure with floor heat I start with setting the thermostat 5 degrees (Fahrenheit) above the temperature I want in order to account for losses through the material. Some enclosures I have to go a little higher, some I have to go a little lower.

Also, while 77 is on the low end of the recommended range for ball pythons, it isn’t so bad that you need to panic. Take a deep breath, bump up your thermostat up a few degrees, and re-check the temperatures after a few hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs