Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,956

2 members and 2,954 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heat for bp

Thanks

heat for bp

Hey there,
    I bought a thermostat for my BP and got some questions:

1) the thermostat that I always bought wasn't on stock so I purchased a diff cheaper one that as it seems like I can't keep the temp perm or so. Is it ok for the temp on the hot side to always change? 80-86F \ 27-30C
    2) The temp is right for a newborn BP? or should I raise it? Especially when the temp changes as I said to even 80 (the lowest temp that I've seen so far after it reach 86)
    3) That's my first newborn BP, How can I tell if I give him the right rat size? Some people tell me that he can eat whole mice and the breeder told me to feed pinky rat, born at 26 of last December.. someone can give me a chart about that topic or write down so I learn & save it for the future? the general rule of head \ stomach I familiar with but when to change sizes of the food etc'

4) Unrelated but I don't want to open multiple posts..
    Is it ok to keep my Dumerilis Boa at 84-86 degrees? (on the hot side of course) or should I raise it up?

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

heat for bp

Quote Originally Posted by doronxl7 View Post
    Hey there,

1) the thermostat that I always bought wasn't on stock so I purchased a diff cheaper one that as it seems like I can't keep the temp perm or so. Is it ok for the temp on the hot side to always change? 80-86F \ 27-30C
    2) The temp is right for a newborn BP? or should I raise it? Especially when the temp changes as I said to even 80 (the lowest temp that I've seen so far after it reach 86)
    3) That's my first newborn BP, How can I tell if I give him the right rat size? Some people tell me that he can eat whole mice and the breeder told me to feed pinky rat, born at 26 of last December.. someone can give me a chart about that topic or write down so I learn & save it for the future? the general rule of head \ stomach I familiar with but when to change sizes of the food etc'

Is it ok to keep my Dumerilis Boa at 84-86 degrees? (on the hot side of course) or should I raise it up?
    Not sure what you using for heat but it sounds like your not measuring it right or you don't have a large enough heating unit. People will ask you for Pics of your enclosure setup and a list of what you use.
    Glass Aquarium? PVC Enclosure? Plastic Tub?
    For heat:
    Is it a UTH (Under Tank Heat Mat, RHP (Radiant Heat Panel) CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) or Heat Bulb?
    Hot side temp should be 88-91. At night during winter mine goes down to 87.5 when my house is 60.
    Cool side should be 78-80. At night during winter when its cold mine has drops to 75 for about 4.5 hrs.

Feeding.
    Your saying this Ball Python is a month old? There are feeding charts on this forum. A good rule of thumb because people call Mice/Rats different names at different sizes is nothing bigger that the fastest part of the snakes body. I'll attach a chart.

As far as your Boa that temp again is low. There are Care Sheets & Threads on the forum for each species. Go through the Sub Titles and you'll find all the info you need. It sounds like you need a lot of research. The basics should of been done before you brought the snake home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-18-2018 at 06:06 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: heat for bp

As just mentioned ... what kind of thermometer are you using ??

One of these maybe ?

They're very popular but basically not fit for purpose in this case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-18-2018)

Thanks

Hey there,

Sounds like you are using a on/off thermostat, pulse thermastats are better at keeping the heat range to where you want it. The on/ off thermostats turn off totally when they reach a certain temperature and then they turn back on at a lower temperature, the pulse type get to where you want it and stay there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Neilp For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neilp View Post
    Sounds like you are using a on/off thermostat, pulse thermastats are better at keeping the heat range to where you want it. The on/ off thermostats turn off totally when they reach a certain temperature and then they turn back on at a lower temperature, the pulse type get to where you want it and stay there.
    Wont matter what kind of thermostat he is using if he isn't insulating a glass tank at all, using the correct heating elements or has the thermostat/thermometer probes in the wrong place to receive a proper reading. We need to put the cart behind the horse in order to help.
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

SDA (01-18-2018)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Type of heating and temping in the correct location make a big difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Not sure what you using for heat but it sounds like your not measuring it right or you don't have a large enough heating unit. People will ask you for Pics of your enclosure setup and a list of what you use.
    Glass Aquarium? PVC Enclosure? Plastic Tub?
    For heat:
    Is it a UTH (Under Tank Heat Mat, RHP (Radiant Heat Panel) CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) or Heat Bulb?
    Hot side temp should be 88-91. At night during winter mine goes down to 87.5 when my house is 60.
    Cool side should be 78-80. At night during winter when its cold mine has drops to 75 for about 4.5 hrs.

Feeding.
    Your saying this Ball Python is a month old? There are feeding charts on this forum. A good rule of thumb because people call Mice/Rats different names at different sizes is nothing bigger that the fastest part of the snakes body. I'll attach a chart.

As far as your Boa that temp again is low. There are Care Sheets & Threads on the forum for each species. Go through the Sub Titles and you'll find all the info you need. It sounds like you need a lot of research. The basics should of been done before you brought the snake home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    As just mentioned ... what kind of thermometer are you using ??

One of these maybe ?

They're very popular but basically not fit for purpose in this case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Type of heating and temping in the correct location make a big difference.
    Thanks for the comments and sorry about the missing information about my setup.
    I use plastic tubs with under tank heat mat, I place the thermometer on the floor of the tub at the middle of the warm side.
    With the first thermostat I can control the temp I want it to be: (sorry, tried to insert image directly but nothing seem to happen so I put a link)
    https://ibb.co/emzRgm

And with the second thermostat I can only choose what temp I want to be the maximum then it lower the temp few degrees and turns on again.
    https://ibb.co/dECU1m

Thanks

Thanks for the comments and sorry about the missing information about my setup.
    I use plastic tubs with under tank heat mat, I place the thermometer on the floor of the tub at the middle of the warm side.
    With the first thermostat I can control the temp I want it to be: (sorry, tried to insert image directly but nothing seem to happen so I put a link)
    https://ibb.co/emzRgm

And with the second thermostat I can only choose what temp I want to be the maximum then it lower the temp few degrees and turns on again.
    https://ibb.co/dECU1m

Im confused.. You have 1 UTH but 2 Thermostats?

Name: (Christian)
    Mr Snake/Mrs Snake
    Sully/Sophie/Gracie
    "CALM Pythons"
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    The second sounds like an on/off style.
    Either way the probe should not be inside the tub.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Im confused.. You have 1 UTH but 2 Thermostats?

Name: (Christian)
    Mr Snake/Mrs Snake
    Sully/Sophie/Gracie
    "CALM Pythons"
    No, I have for each plastic tub under tank heat mat plugged into thermostat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast