Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,569

0 members and 2,569 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Semi-Beginner to the Python World Questions

Thanks

I figured out how to add picture and am so excited to share my little love Freddi with everyone!!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    The only snake you should avoid is the snake you research and decide you either can't or don't want to meet its husbandry requirements.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I believe this is the best advice I have received thus far. Thank you!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PandaBurrr For This Useful Post:

enginee837 (01-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PandaBurrr View Post
    Are there any Python or snakes in general that I should stay away from? I know each person like their own python/snake but I am curious.
    Some snakes are simply determined to be left alone despite any amount of gentle, patient, persistent efforts. A good general rule of thumb is to steer clear of anything you couldn't comfortably handle maintenance on should it decide it wants nothing to do with you - besides maybe causing you mischief. Freddi is a good looking critter. Thanks for sharing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John1982 For This Useful Post:

PandaBurrr (01-17-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enginee837 View Post
    The only snake you should avoid is the snake you research and decide you either can't or don't want to meet its husbandry requirements.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I will definitely give this two thumbs up!!!

Put in the due diligence and learn about the species before bringing it home. And prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Obviously some species are "easier" than others, and some are better "beginner" snakes, but only you know your limitations. When researching Borneos I read a quote that said "BPs are for reptile lovers, Borneo are for snake lovers." That kinda stuck with me, as I kinda wanted something more challenging. But, I decided that I was up for the challenge and pulled the trigger.
    If size is an issue, assume yours will get big, if husbandry is demanding make sure you are willing to put in the time and effort for the lifetime of the snake, etc...
    Make sure you're willing and able to properly care for an animal on your own for the life if the snake, and only YOU know what you truly can and can't handle.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 01-17-2018 at 04:46 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

PandaBurrr (01-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I have been bit by all my snakes and with the exception of my baby rosy boa who decided I was food, the other two were simply defensive strikes.

I think one of the main issues with the stigma of some species being temperamental or aggressive is that they have a large wild caught or farm raise import population which leads to snakes that are less acclimated than multi generational captive bred counterparts. Add in that may people don't understand how to handle snakes properly to avoid stress and you get stereotypes for certain species.

Green Tree Pythons are a perfect example. They are neither fragile snakes nor aggressive but they have this stigma of being tissue paper snakes that die if you look at them wrong and are prone to sink their teeth into you if you come within 5 feet of them. The reality is that there are far too many wild caught GTPs out there or farm raised that are in poor health to begin with (GTP hide health problems far too well).

Your best bet is to start out right and find the best breeders of the species you want, save money, and get the healthiest, best bred snake you can. The rewards in the end will be worth it. I would also learn more about how to build relationships with snakes instead of simply enforcing your will onto them. The outcome makes for a far more mellow snake.

Also remember snakes are a decade plus long commitment. They are not a goldfish (heck, goldfish are long lived too) so don't get into a snake thinking you will just own it for a short time or not realizing that cute retic will turn into a 15 foot workout that you won't be able to care for in 5 years. Get what you can handle and care for it for the long haul.

Lastly, no snake needs your physical contact. A snake will be perfectly content never being touched by you. Handling is for your benefit, not theirs.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-17-2018),PandaBurrr (01-17-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12