Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,265

1 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Semi-Beginner to the Python World Questions

I am a semi-beginner as I had a ball python a number of years ago that I to find a fitting home for as I was moving states and could not take her with. Saddest day ever!!! Onto present time, I once again have a ball python, Freddi(when i figure out how to upload pictures I'll show him off). Now being able to have what I want as I have my own abode I am curious as to other Pythons. I have been asking around where I live and have received negative feed back about certain Pythons. My question is are some Pythons really more aggressive than others? I have heard Carpet Pythons and Green Tree Pythons have the most horrible personality and am wanting to get more opinions on this situation. I am not one to shy away from a nervous snake as my previous python was a rescue that was in a bad home and had never really been handled and we were able to over come that with time and patiences. I love my ball Freddi but I am also wanting to branch out to other Pythons. I am purly in the "snake game" as a pet owner and no breeding. So long story short....can i get some opinions of the aggression of other pythons? Thank you in advance!!!

Thanks

Re: Semi-Beginner to the Python World Questions

My Carpet isn't that bad, she is rather vocal being huffy and rather hissy but she's only bitten me once lol. They go through a nippy phase but they'll probably be too small to really hurt you. I think they're great snakes if you want to branch out from bps they make awesome display snakes. And some pythons are more defensive than others, anyhow if you want a Carpet I know some good breeders....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

KevinK (01-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PandaBurrr View Post
    I am a semi-beginner as I had a ball python a number of years ago that I to find a fitting home for as I was moving states and could not take her with. Saddest day ever!!! Onto present time, I once again have a ball python, Freddi(when i figure out how to upload pictures I'll show him off). Now being able to have what I want as I have my own abode I am curious as to other Pythons. I have been asking around where I live and have received negative feed back about certain Pythons. My question is are some Pythons really more aggressive than others? I have heard Carpet Pythons and Green Tree Pythons have the most horrible personality and am wanting to get more opinions on this situation. I am not one to shy away from a nervous snake as my previous python was a rescue that was in a bad home and had never really been handled and we were able to over come that with time and patiences. I love my ball Freddi but I am also wanting to branch out to other Pythons. I am purly in the "snake game" as a pet owner and no breeding. So long story short....can i get some opinions of the aggression of other pythons? Thank you in advance!!!
    Certain species will definitely have temperments what differ. "Agressive" behavior can be many different things such as strong feeding response, cage aggression, defensive behavior etc. If you want to understand the behavioral tendencies of a specific species, look at what they eat in the wild, what time they eat, how they hunt and what eats them and you will get tons of insight into what drives the behavior of your snake. With that said there are always exceptions to every rule.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (01-17-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I just branched out to other pythons, myself. My first addition was a Borneo Short Tail Python.

I've only had him about two and a half weeks and since I'm letting him get settled in I've kept handling to a minimum. So far, he's hissed and huffed a few times, but just enough to let me know he's aware I'm there.
    He handles really well so far, I can't wait to be able to spend some more time with him.

The two species you listed are more long and slender, but if you're considering something with more body mass you can look into Borneos, Sumatrans Short Tails and Blood pythons. They kinda had a bad rep for a while, but being several generations into being captive need really calmed them down. Lots of beautiful options for pretty decent money.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 01-17-2018 at 01:01 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

KevinK (01-17-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With a lot of species the attitude and ability to be handled will be linked to the work you put in, unlike BP who could not care less other species will have to be work with to remain easily handelable.

GTP however are more of a display snake not something you want to handle, other species will more or less have a defensive phase when young just like BP, and grow out of it as they get bigger and with work.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-17-2018)

Thanks

Completely depends on species. Carpets in general are usually known to be nippy buggers as babies but they really settle down well with age...Jungle carpets are known to be slightly more nippy than coastal carpets overall. Coastal carpets are known for having fantastic temperament as adults but do get larger. I do not own a GTP but I know they're rather nippy overall, then again I have watched several videos where adult specimens are handled without issue. Still, a GTP is not a beginner snake at all.

When I think of "aggressive python" the only species that really comes to mind are white lipped pythons, I'm sure someone can shed more light on this though.

Thanks

Thank you everyone for you wonderful answers!!!! It will be awile before I branch out to other Pythons I just wanted opinions from people that actually own these snakes. My Freddi will suffice for now. He is super handleable and great!!! Still working on getting my husband used to the fact that we have a snake in the house. Lol! Thanks again everyone! So glad i joined BP.net!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I have 4 carpet pythons. They're one of my favorite snake species. I've heard about their nippy tendancies but that hasn't been my experience. I've been bitten a total of 2x by my carpets over the last 3 years and they were both babies at the time. Carpets are really cool critters keep. Their looks, size, temperament, and feeding response make them great for beginners and experienced keepers imo.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks

Are there any Python or snakes in general that I should stay away from? I know each person like their own python/snake but I am curious.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PandaBurrr View Post
    Are there any Python or snakes in general that I should stay away from? I know each person like their own python/snake but I am curious.
    The only snake you should avoid is the snake you research and decide you either can't or don't want to meet its husbandry requirements.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enginee837 For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (01-17-2018),Alicia (01-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-17-2018),L.West (01-17-2018),PandaBurrr (01-17-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast