Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,443

3 members and 3,440 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: My BCI "burrows"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Boas will burrow given hides or not. Heck my babies burrow under their hides and create their own doors to the hides lol. You can see that in the 2nd pic which is my baby suriname in her cool hide.
    Dumerils Boas will burrow given hides or not is true. But Generally to speak about BCI,s like that is not true. As I have mentioned, my BCI never burrowed until i took his hide away and he stopped burrowing as soon as I gave him his hide back.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Dutti, just because something doesn't hold true for your one or two snakes does not mean it is not generally true for the species as a whole. Plenty of examples with photos were shown with boas burrowing even with hides. Please... stop.
    For the Horde!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

BR8080 (01-18-2018),MissterDog (01-17-2018),Sauzo (01-17-2018),silverdreams (01-19-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Dutti, just because something doesn't hold true for your one or two snakes does not mean it is not generally true for the species as a whole. Plenty of examples with photos were shown with boas burrowing even with hides. Please... stop.
    First i spoke about my experience only with my BCI. Then Sauzo generalized about boas with his statement which is wrong. And now you are defending his wrong statement. If my BCI burrowed only when he had no hide and never burrowed when he had one means there are other BCI,s like him and therefore its wrong to generalize a statement like that about BCI,s. Compare that to Dumeril,s boas, you will never find an owner of a Dumeril,s boa who will tell you that his Dumeril do not burrow whether the snake has hide or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutti View Post
    First i spoke about my experience only with my BCI. Then Sauzo generalized about boas with his statement which is wrong. And now you are defending his wrong statement. If my BCI burrowed only when he had no hide and never burrowed when he had one means there are other BCI,s like him and therefore its wrong to generalize a statement like that about BCI,s. Compare that to Dumeril,s boas, you will never find an owner of a Dumeril,s boa who will tell you that his Dumeril do not burrow whether the snake has hide or not.
    I'm going to say one thing Dutti. You and ONE boa with one year experience. Sauzo with 1 BCL, 1 BCC, 3 BCI boas with 15+ years experience. Nuff said. Do yourself a favor and sit back and read and learn so you can get rid of that yellow tag.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

GpBp (01-17-2018),MissterDog (01-17-2018)

Thanks

I'm not gonna say anything, I believe one person is right and the other has the wrong idea but I don't want to throw someone under the bus. I'm not pointing fingers... but someone should try to understand what someone else is saying. We all have different opinions, and some people are more experienced than others. That's all I'm gonna say about that

Anyways
    I just got home and have some news. Her temps were 73°F on cool, 80°F on warm, and had a 75°F gradient. The UTH was a whopping 95°F, but I turned it down to 86° right away. It surprised me to see she wasn't buried, but she was balled up under her warm hide! I tried to get a picture but I didn't want to scare her lol. I misted her tank and I'm waiting a bit to see what the hygrometer reads. I really didn't want to mention this because I know people are going to get mad, but I'm using a zoo-med hygrometer (cue the boos) I know I know! I already have plans to get one this weekend. I was putting it off a bit and was going to see if they had something at the show next week but I realize I need one ASAP! My mister (https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Spr.../dp/B004CJS7XW) justsits in my room, not cold but not warm... That's really it now. I'll update when I get a good estimate of humidity.
    ¹.⁰ ᵖᵃˢᵗᵉˡ ᵇᵃˡˡ ᵖʸᵗʰᵒⁿ ⁻ ᵍᵉⁿᵒ
    ⁰.¹ ᶜᵒⁿᵈᵃ ʰᵒᵍⁿᵒˢᵉ ⁻ ᵏᵒᵛᵃ

¹.⁰ ᵖⁱⁿˢᵗʳⁱᵖᵉ ʰᵃʳˡᵉqᵘⁱⁿ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵖᵒᶜᵏᵉᵗ
    ¹.⁰ ᶠˡᵃᵐᵉ ᶜʳᵉˢᵗᵉᵈ ᵍᵉᶜᵏᵒ ⁻ ᵇᵉᵃ

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I'm going to say one thing Dutti. You and ONE boa with one year experience. Sauzo with 1 BCL, 1 BCC, 3 BCI boas with 15+ years experience. Nuff said. Do yourself a favor and sit back and read and learn so you can get rid of that yellow tag.
    My BCI is 20 months old. I have him since he was 19 months old. That makes me with 19 months experience. And no experience needed about this matter. Its simple. My BCI never burrowed when he had a hide and burrowed when i took his hide away and stopped burrowing as soon as i gave him his hide back. There must be other BCI,s like him. I,m just saying its wrong to generailze a statement about boas saying they ALL would burrow even if they have hides. Such a statement would be true for Dumerils boas and not boa constrictors.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GpBp View Post
    I'm not gonna say anything, I believe one person is right and the other has the wrong idea but I don't want to throw someone under the bus. I'm not pointing fingers... but someone should try to understand what someone else is saying. We all have different opinions, and some people are more experienced than others. That's all I'm gonna say about that

Anyways
    I just got home and have some news. Her temps were 73°F on cool, 80°F on warm, and had a 75°F gradient. The UTH was a whopping 95°F, but I turned it down to 86° right away. It surprised me to see she wasn't buried, but she was balled up under her warm hide! I tried to get a picture but I didn't want to scare her lol. I misted her tank and I'm waiting a bit to see what the hygrometer reads. I really didn't want to mention this because I know people are going to get mad, but I'm using a zoo-med hygrometer (cue the boos) I know I know! I already have plans to get one this weekend. I was putting it off a bit and was going to see if they had something at the show next week but I realize I need one ASAP! My mister (https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Spr.../dp/B004CJS7XW) justsits in my room, not cold but not warm... That's really it now. I'll update when I get a good estimate of humidity.
    I would try and bump that cool side up. I generally dont let the temps get below 75F. If your cool side is that low, you probably can leave the hot side around 88-90F to compensate a little. Thing is you dont want it too cool AND humid. That can trigger an RI. Just like hot AND too dry can trigger an RI too. Maybe put a little 40 watt CHE on the warm side to bump up the ambient if you are using a tank. You can then cover the cage top with tin foil and just leave a little space around the CHE. You dont need a ton of air flow. Thats what i do with my GTP cage.

And as for the Zoo Med hydrometer, nothing wrong there. I use a Zoo Med digital temp/humidity unit for my GTP up top and have an Acurite on the floor. They both read about the same so unless both units are off by the same amount, they seem fairly accurate. Also with humidity, you dont need to be EXACT. Just in the ballpark. Honestly, the best sensor i have found has been my nose. When i open the cage, i just stick my face to the door and you can feel the humidity especially if your house is like mine and sits around 35% humidity lol.

I think if you throw in a little CHE on the warm side to help bump that ambient up and then cover the whole top of the cage except about an inch or so around the CHE dome, you will be fine to just mist with a hand sprayer once or twice a week especially if you are using a coco fiber substrate.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Banned
    Thanks

My BCI is 20 months old. I have him since he was 19 months old. That makes me with 19 months experience. And no experience needed about this matter. Its simple. My BCI never burrowed when he had a hide and burrowed when i took his hide away and stopped burrowing as soon as i gave him his hide back. There must be other BCI,s like him. I,m just saying its wrong to generailze a statement about boas saying they ALL would burrow even if they have hides. Such a statement would be true for Dumerils boas and not boa constrictors.
    I have him since he was a month old. Just correcting myself

Thanks

No, that would mean you have a month of experience lol, you need to step back and read some more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MD_Pythons For This Useful Post:

Sauzo (01-17-2018)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    No, that would mean you have a month of experience lol, you need to step back and read some more.
    Just corrected myself, it was a typing mistake. I have him since he was a month old. You are waiting for any mistake, even a typing one

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast