Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,864

2 members and 2,862 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Giant Snake Bags

Apropos of the “Life Hacks for Giant Snakes” thread up in the giant python sub-section, I have a heavy-duty sewing machine, and know how to use it. And I am not adverse to being the supply side of supply and demand.

How much would you be willing to pay for a sturdy canvas giant snake bag? Size would be *roughly* 33” x 60-70”. Drawstring (rope) a possibility, since I can also set grommets.

My first pass on number-crunching suggests $20-30 as a price, which is about the same as a kid’s sleeping bag, but it wouldn’t have the insulation to deal with drying when a snake makes a mess in it - turn inside-out and hose it down or throw it in the washer and dryer. Not sure if it would have to be a medium or large USPS flat-rate box for shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I would definitely want a drawstring.

Figure $25-30. I would probably only get one just to make transporting them to/from places like the vet easier (snake goes in bag, bag goes in bin).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Prognathodon (01-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: Giant Snake Bags

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Apropos of the “Life Hacks for Giant Snakes” thread up in the giant python sub-section, I have a heavy-duty sewing machine, and know how to use it. And I am not adverse to being the supply side of supply and demand.

How much would you be willing to pay for a sturdy canvas giant snake bag? Size would be *roughly* 33” x 60-70”. Drawstring (rope) a possibility, since I can also set grommets.

My first pass on number-crunching suggests $20-30 as a price, which is about the same as a kid’s sleeping bag, but it wouldn’t have the insulation to deal with drying when a snake makes a mess in it - turn inside-out and hose it down or throw it in the washer and dryer. Not sure if it would have to be a medium or large USPS flat-rate box for shipping.

Just being honest but shipping/holding supplies is difficult to price, because for me, personally I choose whatever is the cheapest. I would say $15-$20 because you're producing a product that is much better quality (that I would actually purchase myself) but still there are a lot of people that use 2 or 3 large burlap bags at once and just toss them if the snake defecates in them. Just advertise the fact that it's re washable and reusable heavily.

On a side note: Is it a possibility that you could just roll the bag up and stick it in a plastic pouch for shipping? You can save some serious cash doing this.
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-18-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks

Re: Giant Snake Bags

I did ask for price opinions. I’ve got pricing pretty well figured out for leather goods, but we’ve been doing that for over 20 years now. Something as utilitarian as a snake bag, even a giant one, is different, at least in my head.

Shipping in a sturdy envelope is a definite possibility, would depend on how well it would fold down. I use USPS flat-rate for Etsy sales to make my life easier, if I make giant snake bags I’ll take another look at shipping options.

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs