Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

1 members and 3,251 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Feeding help and what I have tried so far???

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I don't want to handle him just yet. Next time he is out I will grab a quick pic and not use the flash. Shiva has already eaten and settled in her new home quickly. Hope Neo does the same soon. I will offer food again Wednesday. The question is, what to offer now. Normal white rat? ASF? Mouse? He was eating live according to the per store I purchased him at and was eating white rats.
    Yeah good don't handle him yet, good idea. This pet store snake just might end up being a PITB to feed. I had that problem from a Mom & Pop Shop and never bought another snake like that again. I've had Great eaters and temperaments from real breeders and I always here the same stories about pet stores and its 99% bad.
    I cant remember his size. Im sure it was in this post somewhere. Id go with a proper size mouse to try and get him feeding but if they say he ate rats then you can stick with that. Maybe grab one of each to try.. If he was on Rats make sure not to get one that is to big.. Balls shy away easy if prey is running around spastic or aggressive in any way. Its easy to come home and realize a young rat is still much bigger than you expected after you put it in the enclosure. Cant go wrong with mice as far as size for a Ball Python..
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calm pythons View Post
    yeah good don't handle him yet, good idea. This pet store snake just might end up being a pitb to feed. I had that problem from a mom & pop shop and never bought another snake like that again. I've had great eaters and temperaments from real breeders and i always here the same stories about pet stores and its 99% bad.
    I cant remember his size. Im sure it was in this post somewhere. Id go with a proper size mouse to try and get him feeding but if they say he ate rats then you can stick with that. Maybe grab one of each to try.. If he was on rats make sure not to get one that is to big.. Balls shy away easy if prey is running around spastic or aggressive in any way. Its easy to come home and realize a young rat is still much bigger than you expected after you put it in the enclosure. Cant go wrong with mice as far as size for a ball python..
    pitb?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

pitb?
    pain in the butt
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-22-2018)

Thanks

pitb?
    The clean version - Pain in the behind. We cant use abbreviations on this family forum that swear ect.. Its for all ages. You get written up
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    pain in the butt
    With him being 9 months oldish, he will adjust eventually right? Shiva doesn't mind being handled at all and she is 3 months old. I want Neo to eventually be ok with the handling process but don't want to rush it.

Thanks

With him being 9 months oldish, he will adjust eventually right? Shiva doesn't mind being handled at all and she is 3 months old. I want Neo to eventually be ok with the handling process but don't want to rush it.
    yes, he will. you guys have the next 20+ years to get comfortable with one another; no need to rush.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-22-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    yes, he will. you guys have the next 20+ years to get comfortable with one another; no need to rush.
    Just to give you a good laugh at my expense. I had purchased 2 mice to feed Shiva. The first one I was getting ready to feed to her and it bit me and out of reaction I flopped it hard on the floor killing it. She refused to eat that one because it was dead already. Then offered her the live one and she gobbled it down. I will be using gloves or tongs from now on. LMAO.

Thanks

Just to give you a good laugh at my expense. I had purchased 2 mice to feed Shiva. The first one I was getting ready to feed to her and it bit me and out of reaction I flopped it hard on the floor killing it. She refused to eat that one because it was dead already. Then offered her the live one and she gobbled it down. I will be using gloves or tongs from now on. LMAO.
    oh jeeze i'm so sorry you got bit, and by the feeder no less! that's worse than any ball python bite for sure. it might be better the feeder got you first tho; i wouldn't want to give my snake an obviously aggressive live feeder. very interesting feeding tho, hahaha. at least she ate!

that's good to hear Shiva is adjusting well! my new addition just ate for the first time last wednesday.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Strange mice dont bite normally. My Asf's would take a chunk out of me if i tried to handle them though.. I move them bu their tail. Nasty things. Fyi the way I trained my snakes to eat fresh kill was by feeding a smaller live followed by a smaller fresh kill.
    (The reason i choose smaller for that is so they are still hungry)
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-22-2018)

Thanks

Hopefully he will. But thats why i mentioned Pet Store reptiles not being so good. I know people that have this problem for years. So much so I see people get rid of them because its no longer enjoyable to play these games every month with a PITB snake (myself included) . Some snakes i think aren't bred from good genetics & just never become as domesticated (if you can even use that term with snakes) as breeders that only breed their best. To this day i cant believe the amount of nasty Ball Pythons and Burms now days. 20 years ago there wasnt a nasty Ball or Burm that i ever met.. Now they are striking out of the eggs. The funniest is the Retics. 20 years ago they couldn't be handled like a Burm could and today they are starting to be as docile as a puppy. (Mainland I'm talking about not these Dwarfs hybrids).
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast