Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,597

1 members and 1,596 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Feeding help and what I have tried so far???

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    have you corrected the husbandry issues we went over earlier in this thread?

cruising could also be a sign of stress; it's not always an indicator of hunger.
    Yes been almost 2 days. He hasn't eaten in 5 weeks now

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Yes been almost 2 days. He hasn't eaten in 5 weeks now

give him a few more days to adjust to the changes. he's a healthy boy, 5 weeks is nothing i promise.

my 900g male hasn't eaten in almost 4 months, so i know the feel.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-19-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I noticed today Neo was cruising around the enclosure. Does that mean it might be time to try to feed him

No. Cruising during the day especially for a snake that hasn't been settling or eating means he is most likely stressed. 5 weeks off food is nothing. All the info we gave you a few days ago is dead on. If his enclosure isn't allowing him to settle down you need to look into it. Ball Pythons are Not hunters 99% of the time. Go back and read all the info we gave you. My male goes off feed for 10 weeks during winter...
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    No. Cruising during the day especially for a snake that hasn't been settling or eating means he is most likely stressed. 5 weeks off food is nothing. All the info we gave you a few days ago is dead on. If his enclosure isn't allowing him to settle down you need to look into it. Ball Pythons are Not hunters 99% of the time. Go back and read all the info we gave you. My male goes off feed for 10 weeks during winter...
    I don't think I missed anything. Temp and humidity is spot on and regulated thanks to a new temp and humidity regulator I purchased and put in place Thursday last week. He is in a room that is dark except when his heat lamp comes on to heat him up. Neo is very active around 5 PM every day it seams. I cleaned his tank out Saturday. He had pooped twice in it and was time. I have noticed him looking out his hide more after he warmed up instead of staying balled up hiding his head. I think he has a proper environment now. Both his hides are identical and snug now. He goes between them from time to time. I have not offered him food for 4 days now. Have I missed anything?

When he is roaming around he is looking up at the lid trying to figure a way out of his tank. I do have a locking lid.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 01-22-2018 at 09:10 AM.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Feeding help and what I have tried so far???

I don't think I missed anything. Temp and humidity is spot on and regulated thanks to a new temp and humidity regulator I purchased and put in place Thursday last week. He is in a room that is dark except when his heat lamp comes on to heat him up. Neo is very active around 5 PM every day it seams. I cleaned his tank out Saturday. He had pooped twice in it and was time. I have noticed him looking out his hide more after he warmed up instead of staying balled up hiding his head. I think he has a proper environment now. Both his hides are identical and snug now. He goes between them from time to time. I have not offered him food for 4 days now. Have I missed anything?

When he is roaming around he is looking up at the lid trying to figure a way out of his tank. I do have a locking lid.
    They do like to come out and look for ways to escape.. Mine come out every night between 7pm and 10pm and stay out until 2am-5am. During this time they climb, lay out and bask and also push sometimes at the sliding doors (trying to get out i suppose).
    The reason I said yours might be signs of stress is because it was during the day.. However if its a dark room he might not know what time it is. There have been times when i covered my enclosures for days for one reason or another (kids sleep overs ect) and ive found them out and about mid Noon because I think they didn't know what time it was. It could be possible your snake is starting to settle and was just exploring like mine do 5 days a week. Mine sleep for 2 days after feeding. Its good you haven't offered food in four days if I were you I'd stick to a full 7 before trying. It can up your chances of success instead of having a repeated problem of refusal. Good job getting things dialed in . Any Pics?
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-22-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (01-22-2018)

Thanks

i agree with CALM. you can try to offer on day 7 now, but be sure to scent the room for 15-30min, heat up the feeder nice and warm with a hair dryer and offer IMMEDIATELY after warming it up.

good luck, and i agree i wana see pics of your setup!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-22-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    They do like to come out and look for ways to escape.. Mine come out every night between 7pm and 10pm and stay out until 2am-5am. During this time they climb, lay out and bask and also push sometimes at the sliding doors (trying to get out i suppose).
    The reason I said yours might be signs of stress is because it was during the day.. However if its a dark room he might not know what time it is. There have been times when i covered my enclosures for days for one reason or another (kids sleep overs ect) and ive found them out and about mid Noon because I think they didn't know what time it was. It could be possible your snake is starting to settle and was just exploring like mine do 5 days a week. Mine sleep for 2 days after feeding. Its good you haven't offered food in four days if I were you I'd stick to a full 7 before trying. It can up your chances of success instead of having a repeated problem of refusal. Good job getting things dialed in . Any Pics?
    I don't want to handle him just yet. Next time he is out I will grab a quick pic and not use the flash. Shiva has already eaten and settled in her new home quickly. Hope Neo does the same soon. I will offer food again Wednesday. The question is, what to offer now. Normal white rat? ASF? Mouse? He was eating live according to the per store I purchased him at and was eating white rats.

Thanks

i agree with CALM. you can try to offer on day 7 now, but be sure to scent the room for 15-30min, heat up the feeder nice and warm with a hair dryer and offer IMMEDIATELY after warming it up.

good luck, and i agree i wana see pics of your setup!
    I will post pictures of the setup tonight when I get home.

Thanks

I don't want to handle him just yet. Next time he is out I will grab a quick pic and not use the flash. Shiva has already eaten and settled in her new home quickly. Hope Neo does the same soon. I will offer food again Wednesday. The question is, what to offer now. Normal white rat? ASF? Mouse? He was eating live according to the per store I purchased him at and was eating white rats.
    offer exactly what he was eating before.

just for some peace of mind: older snakes take longer to adjust to a new setting; your other snake is younger and youngin's can adjust very quickly. your situation is 100% normal and almost expected.

you're doing fine. patience.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

offer exactly what he was eating before.

just for some peace of mind: older snakes take longer to adjust to a new setting; your other snake is younger and youngin's can adjust very quickly. your situation is 100% normal and almost expected.

you're doing fine. patience.
    He has pooped twice in the 5 weeks I have had him and still looks healthy. 585g when I weighed him last week. I live in south Texas and things have warmed up outside a lot going from 20 something to 70 something this weekend. Hope it is just a seasonal thing.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast