Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,879

1 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Account Disabled
    Thanks

Some questions from a Beginner.

Hi, recently left the fish hobby and decided to venture into the snake hobby. The initial plan was a ball python, did all my research and was ready to go for buying one this week. However today noticed an ad online for a Striped Corn snake and many accessories for cheap. Long story short, didn't like the tank and environment the snake was in, was extremely dirty and the owner said the snake only eats once a month. Didn't want to keep it with the guy so I bought it off him.

Extremely friendly, good with handling. Will be doing a complete clean up of her tank tomorrow. Just had a few questions.

1) How often do you guys do a full clean, and do you use bleach or just hot water?

2) Currently have a heat pad and a red light. Which would you prefer? Do you guys ever spray your tank.

3) Might be switching to Aspen as that was the plan with the python but he gave me a brand new package of Zoo Med coconut fibre which I didn't want to let go to waste. How often do these snakes do their business, if I spot clean do I need to sift through the fibres or should I be good for a clean up every month.

4) Does the water bowl need to be able to fit the whole snake. She's about 2 years old, few feet long.

5) How often should she be eating? She eats fuzzy mouse, how many should she be eating in one sitting?

6) Handling, how often do you guys hold your Corns.

Any other suggestions. Sorry for the long post just want to make sure I do a good job for her.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: Some questions from a Beginner.

Welcome ☺
    First off, don't use bleach. Use something non toxic like vinegar. I use both, a light and mat. I feed my corn every weekend and I feed mine 2 fuzzies. Yours is bigger so you might be able to go with hoppers or rat pups. The substrate kinda depends on your location and humidity as does the misting. I handle mine every chance I get except for a few days after feeding as handling after feeding can harm the snake.

A little tip, post lots of pictures, both for more informed tips and, everyone loves pictures

Thanks

Oh, make sure your enclosure lid is secure, my corn snake is an escape artist

Thanks

I use plain water followed by F10 for cleaning enclosures. I do use bleach solution on water bowls, and hides that get messy, but after bleaching the things get an extended rinse with *hot* water to break the bleach down. (bleach water needs to be made with cold to room temperature water, or the bleach is immediately breaks down - google for food-service sanitizing with bleach instructions for details).

Our full-grown corns get one medium adult mouse per week, unless I see that they’re in blue, as they typically refuse in that state. Sounds like yours was under-fed.

As for cleaning frequency, it’ll partly depend on the snake’s habits - if they tend to do their business in a place with enough substrate, you can easily spot-clean by taking out a generius handful with the mess (add more clean substrate as needed) and not need to deep clean as often. If they like to push the substrate around, then use the almost-bare spot, you’ll end up doing more cleanup

Our snakes (pythons, colubrids, boas) have belly heat from heat tape and/or radiant heat panels. The RHPs seem to dry out the air less than bulbs. CHEs are ok, I like RHPs better. Corns should do fine with just a UTH of some kind for a hot spot, unless your house gets really really cold. We use LED aquarium lights in enclosures, sowe don’t have to worry about accidentally misting a light.

If your house is really dry, an occasional light misting may be good, pick up a hygrometer to check what the enclosure is running.

Give your new buddy a week or two so to settle in - ideally a couple successful feedings, them start with short handling sessions. As you get to know each other you’ll learn what a stressed vs. relaxed snake looks and feels like, and how much handling they’re good with. If you’re not sure, keep it to a few minutes every couple/few days.

Our three corns don’t soak often, but if you have room for a large enough water bowl/tub go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (01-16-2018),paulh (01-20-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

For what it's worth, I have raised and bred corns.

Kathy and Bill Love, Corn snakes: the comprehensive owners guide, https://www.amazon.com/Corn-Snakes-C...ks+corn+snakes

IMO, this is the best corn snake book on the market. Excellent bang for the buck. The Loves were among the old pros at keeping and breeding corns when this came out.

Bleach is an old standby disinfectant. I've used it. There are better things now, but bleach is good if the cage is well aired out. Do not use Ly-Sol and Pine-Sol; they are slow poisons. They will kill a snake after about six months of use.

Most snakes do not need to soak in a water bowl. Soaking fouls the water, is unsanitary for drinking, and is likely to induce skin disease, possibly leading to death. A hiding box is better.

Feed enough to produce an obvious bulge in the snake's belly. Feed once every week or two. IMO, one fuzzy a week is too little. One weanling to medium adult mouse is probably enough. Defecation is usually twice within a week or so of feeding.

IMO, snake looks slender but is generally in good condition.

I dislike a screen top to an aquarium. Screen lets the heat go right out the top, and the snake may abrade its nose on the screen. My preference is a home made top of 1/8 inch pegboard. With a layer of paint (well dried), such a top will last 20 years.