Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,453

6 members and 3,447 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pre ovulation swell

Hi all, I’ve been breeding one of my females this year, she has gone off food (hasn’t ate in 4-5 months)

Last night when I lifted her to clean her tub, I noticed a slight swell as if she’d eaten a rat and I can feel ping pong sized lumps in her.

I’ve heard how females start to swell prior to full ovulation, would this be about 4-6 weeks prior?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    They can start to build weeks pre-ovulation, with some females I noticed it is easier to "spot" then with other females.
    We got a normal over here that has a HUGE build... and an even bigger ovulation...

When she ovulates she really will look like she just ate a bunny! Just keep an eye on if you can spot it you got an 24-48 hour window
    Just to be sure with myself I always mark all the sheds just incase... After either the ovulation or pre-lay shed they will move and hug the heat spot

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devenco For This Useful Post:

Jamiesniper (01-20-2018),Ronniex2 (01-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: Pre ovulation swell

Quote Originally Posted by Devenco View Post
    They can start to build weeks pre-ovulation, with some females I noticed it is easier to "spot" then with other females.
    We got a normal over here that has a HUGE build... and an even bigger ovulation...

When she ovulates she really will look like she just ate a bunny! Just keep an eye on if you can spot it you got an 24-48 hour window
    Just to be sure with myself I always mark all the sheds just incase... After either the ovulation or pre-lay shed they will move and hug the heat spot
    Over the past few days I have noticed a swell in her, I tried to get some pics.

Now I think she’s close to ovulating but as this is my first clutch I’m not 100% sure on the signs of pre ovulation apart from what I’ve researched online. I’ve got her breeding card where I note down her locks and sheds anyway

Thanks

I have a female doing the exact same thing right now. No true ovulation yet, but a mild swell after not eating for several weeks

Thanks
    That indeed looks like a nice build, not yet an ovulation. They really really realy look like they just ate a rabbit or football .

Just incase I always note builds + sheds + locks.

They usually shed around 18~ days after ovulation and about 25-30 days after that shed they usually lay a clutch

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Devenco For This Useful Post:

Jamiesniper (01-21-2018)

Thanks

I assumed that she was building she’s now on the hot side coiled up pretty tight.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on her now incase I miss anything

I always try to take pics of things I see so I have a visual as well as a date for reference.

It’s exciting seeing her progressing this year, she was bred last year but I suspect that my male wasn’t mature enough but now, he’s locking pretty quickly!
    Thanks for your response

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiesniper View Post
    I assumed that she was building she’s now on the hot side coiled up pretty tight.

I’ll be keeping a close eye on her now incase I miss anything

I always try to take pics of things I see so I have a visual as well as a date for reference.

It’s exciting seeing her progressing this year, she was bred last year but I suspect that my male wasn’t mature enough but now, he’s locking pretty quickly!
    Thanks for your response

Always good indeed to note all things, we had a female here last year who had a small ovulation (and only 3 eggs, no slugs).
    Eventually you will start to notice things and the pattern of you animals, silly example I took my fire female out yesterday and noticed she was building. Looked up my notes and she ovulated end of february in 2017, so just threw the male in there and had a solid lock in one hour. So should be all good

Sometimes males are silly, I got a Bamboo Fire (son of the fire) who has sperm plugs and everything... but for some reason the kid is not really getting it just yet lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devenco View Post
    Always good indeed to note all things, we had a female here last year who had a small ovulation (and only 3 eggs, no slugs).
    Eventually you will start to notice things and the pattern of you animals, silly example I took my fire female out yesterday and noticed she was building. Looked up my notes and she ovulated end of february in 2017, so just threw the male in there and had a solid lock in one hour. So should be all good

Sometimes males are silly, I got a Bamboo Fire (son of the fire) who has sperm plugs and everything... but for some reason the kid is not really getting it just yet lol
    I’ve always heard getting the first clutch from a female is the hardest, after that you have an idea of what way they get on.

I’ve checked on her a few times while I’ve been in doing things with the rest and she’s thermoregulating more than usual with temps still being ok.

That’s pretty handy being able to do that and getting a male in there quickly, fingers crossed for a good clutch from her

Oh I totally get what you mean about males, 2 of my males took a good few pairings to get them locking, I thought they’d never get to it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiesniper View Post
    I’ve always heard getting the first clutch from a female is the hardest, after that you have an idea of what way they get on.

I’ve checked on her a few times while I’ve been in doing things with the rest and she’s thermoregulating more than usual with temps still being ok.

That’s pretty handy being able to do that and getting a male in there quickly, fingers crossed for a good clutch from her

Oh I totally get what you mean about males, 2 of my males took a good few pairings to get them locking, I thought they’d never get to it

It indeed is handy to get a male in there right away, was hoping on the bamboo fire and see what bamboo has for effect on super fire... but oh well

I am just curious if I can get him to breed, other first timers have. But if he takes longer he takes longer !

Thanks

Little update from today when changing water, there’s definitely an obvious swell so I’m guessing she’s 2-3 weeks possibly away from ovulation. I will probably pair her late next week as the male is going to be offered a meal tomorrow.

I’ve got my incubator on and egg tubs set up, I’m not expecting a huge clutch from her but I’ve got small and larger tubs set up incase she surprises me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast