Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,762

0 members and 2,762 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Build the divider just in case, then reassess the weather. What material are you going to use? How will you affix it so it can be removed later?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: New Burm! "Dexter " the Pearl Burmese python progression thread

Quote Originally Posted by DLena View Post
    Build the divider just in case, then reassess the weather. What material are you going to use? How will you affix it so it can be removed later?

I've built them before and used one for my jungle carpet, you can get away with high quality 3/4" plywood because it's only temporary. As for affixing it?....I don't. I simply cut it to the exact dimensions that it needs to be, so in order to install it and remove it you actually need to pry up on the cage top a little bit to get it into place. The cage itself holds it in and no baby snake, regardless of species will be able to push past it.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

New Burm! "Dexter " the Pearl Burmese python progression thread

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Weather in this state never cooperates with anyone it seems lol.

He's got an animal plastics T8 ready to go with a proproducts heat panel that I MIGHT have to slip a divider into so he doesn't get stressed out by a 4ft cage so maybe I'll make one of those in the shop! My record sheet is all ready to go! Beer is the only thing that makes the wait a little better lol.
    That Burm wont get stressed in a T8 bro IMO.. I see a lot of talk about stressing snakes and the only time ive found really stressed snakes are when they come from bad breeders, pet stores, Reptile mills or if you dont know what your doing and toss them in a fish tank ect...
    Of course Balls are prone to be nervous snakes period.. Probably because they are subject to harm easily in the wild. Burms (my Fav), Tics and larger breed Boa's seem to take things in stride more in my experience. Ive never owned Tics but had a Red Tail Boa as a teen and 2 Burms so far. Both my burms went with the flow, always explored and never acted like Nervous Nelly's. They are both still alive, 20 & 24 yrs old. Your gonna have some fun with this guy.
    What I do is use my large 5qt water bowl in the middle of one side of my bottom T12 for my young snake with a hide against the Hot Side wall and the cool Hide just on the other side of the 5qt water bowl. That makes the snake have a smaller safer spot (1/2 enclosure). At night she comes out and lays across the empty side of the enclosure and crawls up the PVC pipes. So you can always do that instead of a divider.
    Your getting a Burm from a reputable breeder I wouldn't worry about him being a stressed snake with the nice setup you have and a few days to settle in.
    Here is a pic of the 1/2 side I use in my AP. The left side is just empty and she is happy to lay out over there at night.. Not stressed at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CALM Pythons; 01-17-2018 at 08:22 AM.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

KevinK (01-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    That Burm wont get stressed in a T8 bro IMO.. I see a lot of talk about stressing snakes and the only time ive found really stressed snakes are when they come from bad breeders, pet stores, Reptile mills or if you dont know what your doing and toss them in a fish tank ect...
    Of course Balls are prone to be nervous snakes period.. Probably because they are subject to harm easily in the wild. Burms (my Fav), Tics and larger breed Boa's seem to take things in stride more in my experience. Ive never owned Tics but had a Red Tail Boa as a teen and 2 Burms so far. Both my burms went with the flow, always explored and never acted like Nervous Nelly's. They are both still alive, 20 & 24 yrs old. Your gonna have some fun with this guy.
    What I do is use my large 5qt water bowl in the middle of one side of my bottom T12 for my young snake with a hide against the Hot Side wall and the cool Hide just on the other side of the 5qt water bowl. That makes the snake have a smaller safer spot (1/2 enclosure). At night she comes out and lays across the empty side of the enclosure and crawls up the PVC pipes. So you can always do that instead of a divider.
    Your getting a Burm from a reputable breeder I wouldn't worry about him being a stressed snake with the nice setup you have and a few days to settle in.
    Here is a pic of the 1/2 side I use in my AP. The left side is just empty and she is happy to lay out over there at night.. Not stressed at all.

That's really what I wanted to hear from someone who actually owns a Burm. With BP's the care information is pretty straight forward because there are so many breeders and professionals, with Burms you get quite a bit of conflicting info actually. Good to know! No divider then!....makes my life a bit easier. I believe with my JCP I let her settle into the new enclosure for three days at least before I really handled her so I'll probably do the same with the Burm but it's going to be hard to do so!
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-17-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks

That's really what I wanted to hear from someone who actually owns a Burm. With BP's the care information is pretty straight forward because there are so many breeders and professionals, with Burms you get quite a bit of conflicting info actually. Good to know! No divider then!....makes my life a bit easier. I believe with my JCP I let her settle into the new enclosure for three days at least before I really handled her so I'll probably do the same with the Burm but it's going to be hard to do so!
    Your not new at this so you will notice the signs if you need to let him be for awhile.. I always give them a few days but i handle them for 10 min when i get them of course..then that night when they are out exploring i sit in front of the enclosure and watch hahahaha. Burms are confident gentile giants. There are nippy ones as hatchlings but I gotta say, i hear that thrown around way more than ive ever seen it with my own eyes.. Then again I'll watch people that just get a snake go for it like its a dog.. I never reach over the top of them, i never go strait at them and i always keep them pointed away from me when holding them until they get a bit older and more predictable. I also use something when i go into the enclose to let them know its me. Sometimes the hook, sometimes i just pick up the hide and rub it on them. If there heads pointed away I'll actually use my own hand to rub their back, that way they know it's not feed time and they're going to be taken out. They love to huff and buff..thats just a burm. You'll have to take some videos when he is out. There my favorite specie.

0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

KevinK (01-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sully View Post
    Your not new at this so you will notice the signs if you need to let him be for awhile.. I always give them a few days but i handle them for 10 min when i get them of course..then that night when they are out exploring i sit in front of the enclosure and watch hahahaha. Burms are confident gentile giants. There are nippy ones as hatchlings but I gotta say, i hear that thrown around way more than ive ever seen it with my own eyes.. Then again I'll watch people that just get a snake go for it like its a dog.. I never reach over the top of them, i never go strait at them and i always keep them pointed away from me when holding them until they get a bit older and more predictable. I also use something when i go into the enclose to let them know its me. Sometimes the hook, sometimes i just pick up the hide and rub it on them. If there heads pointed away I'll actually use my own hand to rub their back, that way they know it's not feed time and they're going to be taken out. They love to huff and buff..thats just a burm. You'll have to take some videos when he is out. There my favorite specie.

10-4, yeah my jungle is SUPER jumpy so the whole thing about picking up from underneath rather than over the top is a must with her as well or you might be in for a surprise. She just likes to strike but it's usually just a "nose bump" strike if you will, I won't take any chances with the Burm though.

I plan on hook training him right from the start, and I'm sure I'll be camping out in front of his cage lol. I'm going to post pictures regardless but hopefully I'm able to do an unboxing video as well!!! I will keep you all posted!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-20-2018)

Thanks
    He looks awesome. It will be interesting to see how my 5/6 month Pearl girl looks compared to yours in the future

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyrian For This Useful Post:

KevinK (01-21-2018)

Thanks

I couldn't agree more with CALM, I've never seen a Burm that is stressed. I think Burms leave that issue with other species of snakes to worry about. A Burm has about 3 moods in my experience. Very docile, excuse me I'm in shed, and the unfortunate ones that never receive any owner interaction except the rare undersized meal. And those Burms aren't stressed they are the "I'm ready to kick someone's a$$" mood of Burms.
    Ball Pythons are for reptile lovers. Giant Pythons are for snake lovers.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momokahn For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (01-20-2018),KevinK (01-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Momokahn View Post
    I couldn't agree more with CALM, I've never seen a Burm that is stressed. I think Burms leave that issue with other species of snakes to worry about. A Burm has about 3 moods in my experience. Very docile, excuse me I'm in shed, and the unfortunate ones that never receive any owner interaction except the rare undersized meal. And those Burms aren't stressed they are the "I'm ready to kick someone's a$$" mood of Burms.
    Sounds amazingly similar to boas except in a larger package lol. I can relate to those moods then , think I'll be set! Had a date this weekend which pushed the travel plans aside (wish I would've just gotten my boy instead lol) we will see this upcoming weekend!

Thanks

Sounds amazingly similar to boas except in a larger package lol. I can relate to those moods then , think I'll be set! Had a date this weekend which pushed the travel plans aside (wish I would've just gotten my boy instead lol) we will see this upcoming weekend!
    I take it the "Date" wasn't worth it? Hahahha
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    ----------
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast