Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,087

1 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Identifying Blade in clowns?

Any pointers on differentiating a reduced clown from a blade clown? Kinda hunting for my next pickup and hoping for some pointers on the "possible blade" /"reduced pattern" to have the best shot of getting the two gene.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I think there's a lot of confusion about the 'Blade' name. I don't believe it's a separate gene, it's a descriptor for a reduced pattern in Clowns, i.e. you can't have a snake that's Blade without at least being het for Clown. It's similar to Enchi Clown in appearance except that you can't separate out the Blade like you can with Enchi. You have a Blade Clown if the pattern is reduced and there are no other genes at play to reduce the pattern.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Re: Identifying Blade in clowns?

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I think there's a lot of confusion about the 'Blade' name. I don't believe it's a separate gene, it's a descriptor for a reduced pattern in Clowns, i.e. you can't have a snake that's Blade without at least being het for Clown. It's similar to Enchi Clown in appearance except that you can't separate out the Blade like you can with Enchi. You have a Blade Clown if the pattern is reduced and there are no other genes at play to reduce the pattern.
    What? Are you sure? I never heard of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Actually I know you are wrong about this, because blade has a super form, making it a totally separate co-dominate mutation.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-15-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (01-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    I don’t know where you came up with this but it’s incorrect. Blade is just another co-dominant morph. Look it up at wobp and you can also find sellers on morphmarket selling blade combos without the clown morph. It is most commonly bred with clown combos though.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (01-15-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (01-15-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Phew that first reply through me as I've seen single geen blades and super blade.
    So with that clear is there a way to differentiate blade from reduced pattern in clowns? Or is it a breeder and see kinda thing?

Thanks

I love basic reduced pattern / banded morphs and strongly considered using blade in my project plans. I like that if has a super form and vivid black banding. I do not like clown. I could have mixed and bred blade into other morphs for years and never had a clown or het clown among them. I don’t know a lot about morphs except for the banded morphs are my focus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chakup View Post
    Any pointers on differentiating a reduced clown from a blade clown? Kinda hunting for my next pickup and hoping for some pointers on the "possible blade" /"reduced pattern" to have the best shot of getting the two gene.
    Simple buy from a reputable breeder with a guarantee of both genes. The blade-clowns I have seen have a wide, chaotic dorsal stripe.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Simple buy from a reputable breeder with a guarantee of both genes. The blade-clowns I have seen have a wide, chaotic dorsal stripe.

There seems to be a lot of possible since still seem to be figuring it out. May make the gamble as found a couple deciding between.

Thanks
    The real problem with blade is that people are calling reduced patterns as blade with never having produced a single gene or super form. I am aware of 1 individual who purchased all of his adult breeder clown stock from 1 person who has no blade yet this person sells them as blade when they are reduced. As a matter of fact you can look at posts and they have pics tagged as #noblade then when it doesn't sell they add Blade to the post to help it sell. So that is where the real issue with Blade lies.
    "Passion Breeds Quality, Quality Breeds Desire" - Tim

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ElliotNess For This Useful Post:

chakup (01-15-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast