Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

0 members and 2,816 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    Looking nice, great color! Congratulations and good luck.

Thanks

Floor started

I finally started laying down the floor after letting it dry for almost 2 days. I'm really thankful that my brothers have all these great tools to lend me to do this project. No way would I have been able to do this project without some of the stuff they have lent me. I'm hoping that school isn't cancelled tomorrow from all the snow, but then again I do live in WI and they don't cancel school very often. As long as my sons at school tomorrow I should be able to get the floor all laid down and hit it with a sander one last time before applying the poly. I went with a water based poly for this space because I didn't want to deal with the fumes and felt the water-based poly would preserve the color of the wood better but who knows for sure. I left the blank spaces on the floor so I could keep using my clamps. I will say that cutting plywood into strips is a PITA so some boards are cut better than others and the clamps have been helping to keep the floor square.

[IMG][/IMG]

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Floor started

Quote Originally Posted by Spookychief View Post
    I finally started laying down the floor after letting it dry for almost 2 days. I'm really thankful that my brothers have all these great tools to lend me to do this project. No way would I have been able to do this project without some of the stuff they have lent me. I'm hoping that school isn't cancelled tomorrow from all the snow, but then again I do live in WI and they don't cancel school very often. As long as my sons at school tomorrow I should be able to get the floor all laid down and hit it with a sander one last time before applying the poly. I went with a water based poly for this space because I didn't want to deal with the fumes and felt the water-based poly would preserve the color of the wood better but who knows for sure. I left the blank spaces on the floor so I could keep using my clamps. I will say that cutting plywood into strips is a PITA so some boards are cut better than others and the clamps have been helping to keep the floor square.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Not sure why but I cant see tour pics.. Just shows up as a Square where the pix would be...thats happens with Image Hosts thats why i post from Camera Roll now using Tap Talk phone app. I could see it last week when you showed the Slide of Pics... Anyway good choice for the floor. I tried Oil Base and it turned it Wet Orange color... I then went with Water Base and it cleared nicely.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Re: Remodeling my reptile room

Ok trying out this Tapatalk so you mentioned. I did get the floor all laid it today but I didn't get to nail it down which stinks because I was hoping to get the first coat of poly on it tonight but oh well. I just temped up the baseboards I haven't decided on how I'm finishing them yet though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spookychief For This Useful Post:

Prognathodon (01-24-2018),Roux (01-24-2018)

Thanks
    Very nice project! When we moved into our house 3 years ago, the first thing on my list was a reptile room. Not being very "handy" I had to pay a company to install flooring in the room and we re-painted it. Other than that, did not make any other changes. If I had the skills, or knew people with said skills, I would have loved to redo the electrical outlets and possibly put in a large industrial sink for washing. That said, there's nothing like having a nice looking dedicated space.

Thank you for taking the time to post pics of your progress. Please continue to update us. I'll be very curious to see how your floor turns out and holds up over time.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spookychief View Post
    Ok trying out this Tapatalk so you mentioned. I did get the floor all laid it today but I didn't get to nail it down which stinks because I was hoping to get the first coat of poly on it tonight but oh well. I just temped up the baseboards I haven't decided on how I'm finishing them yet though.

Great work man.. I did the same thing learning as i went to my whole house each winter... The only mistake I made was going with Manufactured Hard wood floors.. I should of went with natural Hard wood. The 1/2 man made stuff is garbage and cracks instead of dents so you cant fix it.
    Everything you've done looks like a Pro came in.
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Ok well today I'm putting the trim in. I decided to use a wax instead of an oil on the wood. I wasn't crazy about how the oil looked on the cedar and this looks a lot more natural. I'm also going to finish up this electrical mess as well tonight.

Thanks

My Tokay is absolutely fed up with all the racket and he's in the same room as the snakes so he's doubly pissed lol. Really old tokay btw he just turned 15 a couple months ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Looking good. Wood flooring would not be my choice for reptile rooms but it looks nice.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks

So I've been super busy getting other things in order around the house here and haven't had anytime to finish the window trim yet but i'm hoping to get it done this weekend. I already have all the wood purchased. I also blew through my budget cause i broke down and purchased a table saw so the cages are on hold until march comes around when i have money again lol. SO ya hopefully this weekend i can put up some photos of the finished windows and the room will be 3/4 done.

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    Looking good. Wood flooring would not be my choice for reptile rooms but it looks nice.
    No other floor option matches the look, versatility and price per sqft of plywood flooring. Tile is far more expensive and more difficult to lay properly imo. To each their own though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12