Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

1 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

What is the best ball python egg incubator for the best price?

I want to know what the best egg incubator is for the best price. I am forming a price list to present to my parents to ask for another snake to start on the track of breeding these adorable creatures and I need to know what the best value is for an incubator. I am starting small (two females to be precise) so it doesn't have to have a very large capacity. So far it seems to me that I will not have eggs for about three years so it isn't a pressing matter. I know, as I am young, people will have a suspicion in my abilities to handle this but I am doing a lot of research before I do anything that could end up harming a snake or something that will present issues in the future. I have seen a lot of tutorials on homemade incubators and I would like to hear from someone who knows what they are talking about on whether or not these are safe/efficient.

I would also appreciate some advice on the good starter morphs. I currently have a female pastel and a male black pastel. I was looking at lessers as they are a good price and can make some really neat combinations with the snakes I already have.

Thanks for any advice in advance and I hope you have a great day!
    1.0 Black Pastel Ball (Tullius)
    0.1 Pastel Ball
    1.0 Bearded Dragon (Franklin)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: What is the best ball python egg incubator for the best price?

The best incubator for the best price is home made. People try to over complicate something as simple as a properly heat and humidity regulated box. But beyond that there is a lot more involved in decidi g to breed these animals. To you have an established market to buy the offspring? Do you have a fund for the potential vet bills possibly x10? Do you have it in you to cull deformed babies? Lots more to it besides asking your parents to buy a few more snakes and think of them as money makers to name a few.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-13-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for your response. I wasn't thinking of this as a money maker. I am only doing it as a hobby and because I really love these animals. And I would do what it takes to make sure that the snakes get whatever they need to have the best life, even if it means ending it. I had not previously come up with a solution for a way to sell the hatchlings so I will be thinking about that more as time goes on and I will not commit to anything without having an entire plan for what to do in any event.
    0.1 Pastel Ball

5. The Following User Says Thank You to I_AM_POTATO For This Useful Post:

Hannahshissyfix (01-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think it's the one you can re-purpose when not in use. Get a good quality thermostat (I like herpstat) and put your materials together in a way that conserves their integrity. For example, I only had one clutch which meant I could transfer over the heat mat and thermostat for use with my 5 hatching tubs. After they moved along some of the stuff is not in use, but it could be. I didn't know at first that the drain hole on a cooler could be unscrewed, but it can, so now if I wanted to I could re-screw in the drain and the hinges and have a like-new cooler except for a couple random small screws on the outside. P.s., I didn't use the recycled cpu fan so ignore that, and the accurite was replaced by a small zoomed 2 in 1 hygro/thermometer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tila For This Useful Post:

cchardwick (01-13-2018),dylan815 (01-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

I wouldn’t recommend to get too concerned with breeding, until you have already been keeping multiple snakes for at least a year. This will allow you to learn a lot and gauge if you really want to have a whole bunch of snakes in your house to care for, feed piles of rats a week, clean them all, take to them to unexpected expensive vet visits, etc..
    Plus, even if you do breed, it will be a long time before the first clutch hatches, so you have plenty of time to research and can worry about buying an incubator down the road, in the future.

I have been keeping balll pythons for over 2 years now. I have literally hundreds and hundreds of hours of research under my belt, I’m a 40 year old with my own financial resources, I have already spent well over $2000, in snakes, housing, and husbandry equipment. I have considerable experience in marketing, sales and business.
    ...Yet, I still haven’t quite started breeding. It’s a big commitment, to which I am preparing carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 01-13-2018 at 10:41 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-26-2018),Ronniex2 (01-13-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (06-26-2018)

Thanks

I just set up my c serpents incubator.

You can make one but to answer your question I think c serpent incubators are good and price well maybe look around craigslist.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EDR For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-13-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies! If I do end up getting another ball it is likely I will get a baby, so I won't be doing any breeding for about three years. And thank you for all the suggestions on the incubators!
    0.1 Pastel Ball

Thanks

Arrow Re: What is the best ball python egg incubator for the best price?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I wouldn’t recommend to get too concerned with breeding, until you have already been keeping multiple snakes for at least a year. This will allow you to learn a lot and gauge if you really want to have a whole bunch of snakes in your house to care for, feed piles of rats a week, clean them all, take to them to unexpected expensive vet visits, etc..
    Plus, even if you do breed, it will be a long time before the first clutch hatches, so you have plenty of time to research and can worry about buying an incubator down the road, in the future.

I have been keeping balll pythons for over 2 years now. I have literally hundreds and hundreds of hours of research under my belt, I’m a 40 year old with my own financial resources, I have already spent well over $2000, in snakes, housing, and husbandry equipment. I have considerable experience in marketing, sales and business.
    ...Yet, I still haven’t quite started breeding. It’s a big commitment, to which I am preparing carefully.

That is awesome response, i am even reconcidering my plan to breed this season too lol...

Thanks
    I would just like to say I appreciate everyone’s response to this and the maturity the OP showed.

After having my sons snake for a couple of years and then getting my own, I look forward to this coming breeding season and appreciate everyone’s input on the matter from above. I’ve had to euthanize feeders, paid the vet a few times and have been incredibly envious of ALL of the hatchlings I’ve seen this year. I think I can handle a culled/deformed baby (or the kingsnake I get will after I may have to pith it), especially after dealing with cannibal ASF and the mean ass rat that bit me and a baby rats neck. Unfortunately none of my snakes ate the nearly dead pup so it’s life was all but wasted.

I am an entrepreneur at heart but currently work for the man (freelance consulting is a .....); it will remain so for the foreseeable future but my snakes make it worth it and hopefully their babies will too. It’s a game of uniqueness, reputability and hustle; I think I could “hang”.

Just thought this post was a good one is all.

- Sent from my iPhone
    As of July, 31st, 2018... (I think)
    1.0.0 - Albino Pastel Black Pastel Pinstripe -384g ('18)
    1.0.0 - Albino Candy - Candino ('17)
    1.0.0 - Super Pastel Butter ('18)
    1.0.0 - Pastel Calico - 735 ('16)
    1.0.0 - Lesser Pastel - 1344g ('16)
    1.0.0 - Black Pastel - 1680g ('15)
    1.0.0 - Mojave Mystic - Mystic Potion ('16)
    1.0.0 - Spotnose Spider
    1.0.0 - Black Head ('16)
    0.1.0 - Lesser ('14)
    0.1.0 - Orange Dream Pastel Spider - 453g ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pied ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pastel Black Pastel Spider ('16)
    0.1.0 - Hypo Enchi Butter - 310g (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Leopard (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Orange Ghost ('16)
    0.4.0 - Dinker YB ('17/18)
    0.1.0 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('18)
    0.1.0 - Fire YB Brownie - 148g ('18)
    0.1.0 - Columbian Red Tail Boa ('18)
    0.1.0 - Pastel -1 544g ('15)
    0.1.0 - Yellow Belly (rescue) ('13)
    0.1.0 - Wild Type ('16)
    0.1.0 - Spinner
    0.1.0 - Spinner ('18)
    0.0.1 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('17)
    0.0.1 - Wild Type (rescue) ('?)
    0.1.0 - Dinker ('18)
    0.0.1 - Spinner ('17)
    All to probe when I find the time.

Thanks

Furthermore, I’ve had to deal with rank stools, blood in stools and Butterball taking hits shots like a champ the last several days. Plus a PITA baby spinner who got me tonight while trying to get her out for a cleaning. First one to draw blood, but not the first strike she or a couple others have delivered.

At this point, it feels like I am justifying things to myself but I really wanted this post to be a kudos to the OP and respondents. I hope to never have to deal with IBD or Crypto. RI, mouth rot or scale rot I can handle but don’t want to ever encounter it either.

Last edited by Spechal; 06-26-2018 at 12:45 AM.
    As of July, 31st, 2018... (I think)
    1.0.0 - Albino Pastel Black Pastel Pinstripe -384g ('18)
    1.0.0 - Albino Candy - Candino ('17)
    1.0.0 - Super Pastel Butter ('18)
    1.0.0 - Pastel Calico - 735 ('16)
    1.0.0 - Lesser Pastel - 1344g ('16)
    1.0.0 - Black Pastel - 1680g ('15)
    1.0.0 - Mojave Mystic - Mystic Potion ('16)
    1.0.0 - Spotnose Spider
    1.0.0 - Black Head ('16)
    0.1.0 - Lesser ('14)
    0.1.0 - Orange Dream Pastel Spider - 453g ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pied ('17)
    0.1.0 - Pastel Black Pastel Spider ('16)
    0.1.0 - Hypo Enchi Butter - 310g (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Leopard (‘17)
    0.1.0 - Orange Ghost ('16)
    0.4.0 - Dinker YB ('17/18)
    0.1.0 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('18)
    0.1.0 - Fire YB Brownie - 148g ('18)
    0.1.0 - Columbian Red Tail Boa ('18)
    0.1.0 - Pastel -1 544g ('15)
    0.1.0 - Yellow Belly (rescue) ('13)
    0.1.0 - Wild Type ('16)
    0.1.0 - Spinner
    0.1.0 - Spinner ('18)
    0.0.1 - Pinstripe Spider - Spinner ('17)
    0.0.1 - Wild Type (rescue) ('?)
    0.1.0 - Dinker ('18)
    0.0.1 - Spinner ('17)
    All to probe when I find the time.