Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,100

2 members and 3,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP Not Thermoregulating

I know you need to habe 2 identical hides so your bp doesn't choose security over temperature. My boyfriend's mom got me a new rock hide for Naga for Christmas, and I expected it to be too small that he wouldn't use it much, but he's been in it since I put it in his tank a few days ago. He isnt moving to thermoregulate, and hasnt been active at night either. My question is when should I be worried about this? Should I take the rock out until I get a second one, or is it ok to leave it in until then?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I personally am not from the school of mandatory identical hides. Through my experience, as long as there are proper hides at each end of the temp gradient my snakes will hang out where they're comfortable. In the years I've kept snakes I honestly don't think I've ever offered identical hides and have never had an issue. My snakes have always eaten well, shed well and swwm to thrive just fine with whatever hides I offer. Just be sure the hides provide security and a proper fit.

That being said, if identical hides work better for certain people and their snakes I say go for what works best for you and your snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    So long as you have the temp of the heat source under the hide properly set and not just running free, there is nothing to worry about, they will do what they will do when they want to do it. Keep the floor of that cage under the hide no hotter than lower 90s and you can relax
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: BP Not Thermoregulating

Quote Originally Posted by elleon View Post
    I expected it to be too small that he wouldn't use it much, but he's been in it since I put it in his tank a few days ago.
    i agree with both posts above, but i lean harder on having two identical hides than craigafrechette does (which is not a bad or negative thing; it's all about what works for each keeper and their individual snakes).

regarding the bit i quoted: it sounds like your beep likes smaller, tighter-fitting hide than the other one offered. you can try to offer two identical hides like the one he's preferring, but don't be surprised if you still see him prefering one side after this. Coffee Bean and Pumpkin like to be warmer; Spaghetti likes to be a bit cooler; different snakes, different preferences.

as long as you are providing a proper temerature gradient, the snake will regulate as they need to.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-12-2018 at 01:17 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-12-2018)

Thanks

When we brought home our BP hatchling in September, we also had the Exo Terra rock hides. He never used them, preferring to hide behind the hide or under plastic plants. We replaced the rock hides with small RBI hides and he loved them. So much so that we had a hard time moving to larger hides when he outgrew them. At 340 grams and after a large meal, he would crawl into this tiny hide and basically wear it like a hat.

Efforts to switch to the larger rock hide were completely rejected. Recently, we tried the medium RBI hides and they met with his approval. Even though the medium RBI has a larger footprint that the rock hide, it is not as tall. Perhaps that's the difference. Or it could be that he's a minimalist and doesn't care that the rock hide is prettier. They can be funny creatures.

Thanks
    It's absolutely the lower profile, that's why plant saucers are often recommended for hatchlings as an ideal hide, along with things like tortilla holders, low-profile tupperware, etc. They don't like having an open ceiling above them, even if it's solid -- they're prey animals that are readily picked up by pretty much everything that eats them. Up is bad.

And one of the main reasons for identical hides being recommended frequently is this exact question being posed -- the hides being identical means that an animal sacrificing thermoregulation for security/preference won't be something you have to consider when the animal is exhibiting behavior like this.
    Last edited by hollowlaughter; 01-12-2018 at 06:21 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hollowlaughter For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-13-2018),larryd23 (01-12-2018),MD_Pythons (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Just out of curiosity which end of the heat spectrum is he choosing to spend most of his time?
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

I suppose his other hides probably are too big, since he seems to prefer the smaller, lower hide. He has two identical hides that he's been using regularly before I added this extra one in between. It's in the mid-hi end of the tank. I'll try putting some smaller hides in instead of the other two, at least until I can get him a second rock.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to elleon For This Useful Post:

dr del (01-13-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Looking for a cheap but effective hide? I've actually found that my snakes all seem comfortable in those rotisserie chicken takeout containers. You know the ones you buy the whole chickens in? I don't know about everywhere, but where I live every grocery store has them. Many other takeout containers work well too.

Anyway, I get a tasty meal or two, then I wash the bottom of the container really well and cut out an entry hole. They are black and very low to the ground, so they provide great security for the snakes.

Unfortunately, once the snakes hit about 700-800 grams they don't fit so well. But they work for a while and come free with your meal.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (01-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Looking for a cheap but effective hide? I've actually found that my snakes all seem comfortable in those rotisserie chicken takeout containers. You know the ones you buy the whole chickens in? I don't know about everywhere, but where I live every grocery store has them. Many other takeout containers work well too.

Anyway, I get a tasty meal or two, then I wash the bottom of the container really well and cut out an entry hole. They are black and very low to the ground, so they provide great security for the snakes.

Unfortunately, once the snakes hit about 700-800 grams they don't fit so well. But they work for a while and come free with your meal.
    Haha! Great advice, I might try that one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-13-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast